Sainsbury's Local opening on the 18th December near the plough

LordLane

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Slight mistake here.

> SimonM

> Oh and I believe Enid Blyton was very young indeed

> when she moved out from across the road!

> Lordship Lane has in my memory of some 78 years,

> has never been a Road.

er, shorty...he said 'the road' as in that generic term for that tarmaced thing cars drive along not as in its name

Forget Tesco town - we're turning into Sainsburys Silo - how many Sainsburys do we need within a couple of miles of each other. Would much prefer it had been some other chain to give us some choice although I suppose the limited size made it slightly less attractive and Tesco Express is already there at the Horniman.

Not to mention that 'Locals' charge more than the bigger branches do. Convenience stores got way with that for years since they allegedly didn't have the buying power that the big boys did but now most of them are owned by the big boys and add an extra 10-15p per product just because.

I'd be happy with a Sainsbury's as it's on my way home from work. I hope that rumour is true!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But so are the four or five other independant grocery stores on that strip and the famous badger bakery which have been there for years, I wonder how many of those stores will survive a sainsbury's on the doorstep we may end up with more empty shops at this end of lordship lane than we started with, has anyone considered that?

The other shops are effectively "corner shop" types - these are fine but you need a maximum of 2 in any 100 yard strip - we have 5, thats too many and the fact that they are still all doing ok suggests we need something more wide ranging.

An awful lot of people live at the upper end of LL and they do not have any large or small supermarket nearby - its great that we can have a Sainbury to do a proper shop or to just buy a decent bottle of wine.

I think it will do fantastically well and it will be good for the little shopping area that we have - who knows we might even get a new pub/bar or restaurant at some point, the little Italian Tea Room seems to be doing very well.

Hi lordlane

I spoke to the foreman a couple of weeks ago and he said the area at the back would be gardens and some parking for the tenants of the flats. I'm surprised to read that deliveries will be made at the back, is that certain? There is only one normal sized door at the back so goods would have to be carried through. Also, did the local authority planning contain permissions for lorry deliveries?

Thanks

If this is true it is great news.

That end of LL suffers from under investment as there are few shops to attract customers. Many people head the extra 500yrs to the main drag to get a better choice.

I hope the arrival of Sainsbury's will force the other shops to up their game. It is a competitive world out there, small independents have their place and if they sell the right product will continue to do well. A sainsburys local will inevitably damage someone like costcutter, but IMHO, they were pretty awful anyway.. Where they fail is by the owners being lazy with their sourcing, with poor product and over pricing it. Many of the shops up that end of LL are great, and i am sure this will increase business for some (the dry cleaners for example).

I would assume the arrival of a sainsbury's will also attract people over from Dulwich village so will benefit this side of ED too.

As other people have said, it may encourage other shops such as a decent wine merchant, a bar, maybe even some of the other shops may decide to have a facelift to attract new customers?

I have been misinterpreted somewhat, its not for the food store deliveries merely the initial construction purposes, similar as it is now. but would only be for a short period as everything draws to a close soon. Sorry for the confusement but they will deliver from lordship lane. TThe back area will consist of parking for the flats and a garden etc.

Surely they'll be restrictions on when Sainsburys can park their massive delivery lorries outside as the bus lane runs alongside the shops?

Costcutter will need to up their game, the owner of the franchise in Kirkdale had to invest in new freezers/fridges when Tesco Express opened 10 yards down the road.

The fear I have is that Badgers, the excellent Red Apple newsagent and the sub post office may suffer loss of trade.

• 3 weeks later...
Spoke with the owner of the sub-post office and he said they're going to convert to a pound shop in order to stay in business. Doesn't seem too sensible to me, would have thought upmarket to be a better bet to compete with Sainsbury, but I know nothing of retail.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> Costcutter will need to up their game, the owner

> of the franchise in Kirkdale had to invest in new

> freezers/fridges when Tesco Express opened 10

> yards down the road.

He invested 40 odd grand before he knew Tesco were coming , poor fekker.

The Dog Kennel Hill Sainsburys didnt cause the local indie Supey to shut down. It forced it to up its act, tart itself up, widen its offer and lower its prices; but it is still there.

Likewise the Tescos Metro on ED Road hasnt seem to have forced the closure of the local convenience stores.

I am just saddened that it hasnt become a strip joint.

Milo Wrote:

> Spoke with the owner of the sub-post office and he

> said they're going to convert to a pound shop in

> order to stay in business.

Oh no, we don't need to lose a post office! I can't help thinking traffic at the lights is going to be just awful, it took me long enough to get out of Barry Rd onto LL this morning, as it was!

>Spoke with the owner of the sub-post office and he said they're going to convert to a pound shop in order to stay in business

A real live pound shop - hooray: no more shopping tourism to Eltham (where they have THREE pound/99p shops!)

A proper pound shop and a Sainsbury's local would suit me fine. I reckon Badger Bakery would survive: its sister shop is across the road from Somerfield on the main LL shopping strip and seems to do all right. I imagine that the newsagent would be OK as well. Val's stores, on the other hand, might run into problems unless they can find a niche. This would be a shame as they're really nice. I wouldn't mind if the chemist on that strip went under though -- it must be the most unfriendly shop in ED.