Sainsbury's Local opening on the 18th December near the plough

LordLane

A variety of positions at the new Sainsburys were being advertised at Peckham Jobcentre last week. They also had a whole array of jobs going at Morrisons in Peckham. I'd just give the Jobcentre a ring first to see if they are still available (they may be on the jobcentreplus website?)

Heard at one stage it was going to be Morrisons and wished that had been true but the notices are up to say it is a Sainsburys store, probably a Sainsburys Local which I believe is more of a convenience store, a bit like Tesco Express. Prices will probably be higher than in their main stores but I hope they do some good offers on wine, that would be great. It's nice to see that part of Lordship Lane up and coming.

There isnt any parking at the Herne Hill Sainsurys Local and Tesco Express in Rye Lane and they seem to be always busy so I dont think parking is an issue .These shops are more for local people popping in for the odd bit of shopping not for the weekly shop much the same as your 'corner shop'.

Does anyone know how you apply for a job at this Sainsburys? I have called the recruitment hotline and they do not know anything about a new store opening and deny all knowledge - even when I told them about the signs and contractors etc......

They said if they dont know about it, it means they dont need staff - so I can only assume it will be a staff free store!

If anyone knows how you actually apply for a position I would really love to know.

does anyone else have problems with the noise at night from the site?

six month old woken at 5 this morning then an hour of noisy jobs ringing around the neighbourhood...

I know it opens on 18th, anyone magically know if they are on track for this or when the noisy jobs will be done?!

Having some experience of working with supermarkets, they will ask the contractor to pre-agree a completion date and there will be heavy cost penalties if they miss that date. Therefore, the site manager will be under huge pressure to get everything completed in time, plus i would also hazard a guess the heavy equipment such as fridges and ovens will be going in towards the end of this week / weekend.

If the store opens on the 18th, final fit, stocking etc will take place on the 17th, so expect lots of workers, staff, vans, lorries and general bustle in the preceding 24hrs.

There are rules, but at the end of a job, with fines looming, the rules come a distant second. If the works are on track - of course they will adhere to them.

Also, at the end of the fit, it is mainly internal moving and fitting of tills, electronics etc which are not covered by the works notices.

Sean wrote:

In a couple of months you will be reminiscing about the building noise, as yet another delivery truck reverse-beeps at 4am

LordLane said a while back that deliveries wouldn't be made at the back, just from the Lordship Lane shopfront. Now, I'm looking at the back of the building out of my window and a series of steel girders have been inserted in the manner used to support a wall prior to the construction of a large lintel based doorway. Such a doorway would be big enough to offload from an artic-lorry.

LordLane?

LordLane Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the plan is that all deliveries will come into the

> store from lordship lane

That's hardly going to help the smooth flow of traffic. Have I missed some info about where all the cars are going to park, as well?

Probably outside my house . . . . along with the others in Landells road

* wonders from where she can steal traffic cone after work christmas do * .

No seriously there doesn't look like there is much provision for parking at all - is the parking at the rear going to be for the residents of the flats above?