The war memorial at Dulwich Common

Flodden Road Barracks has had a major re-furb since Prof M R D Foots' day and is home to London Irish Regiment (TA) as well as attached Companies.

Had the pleasure of drinks in the mess at High Wood in the early 90's

All sorts of military paraphenalia behind the bar, including a missile, which, if memory serves, wasn't quite as deactivated as everyone thought !

21 SAS ® (them !) also paraded out of there at this time.

One of their number had been no less than a certain Sir Ranulph Fiennes

• 2 weeks later...

:-$

Is it possible to get a copy of the newsletter sent to me in Birmingham? I don't mind having someone's copy after they have finished with it, I am presuming it's a paper copy, I looked at the website but there was no mention of the article, though I was probably looking in the wrong place.

This would be to read the article I hasten to add, not to admire photos of myself!:-S

Thanks

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Roll of Honour of the First Surrey Rifles

Non-Commissioned Officers and Riflemen

Killed in action 23 May 1916

Alleyne, George Albert, rfn, 3067

Baker, Frederick Albert, rfn, 3755

Ball, Horace William, rfn, 650102

Beaton, Stanley, rfn, 1556

Beaty, Walter, rfn, 3842

Bird, Frederick Joseph, rfn, 650581

Blackman, George Dullam, sgt, 1656

Bostwick, Ernest, rfn, 3386

Boulter, William John, rfn, 4403

Breakspear, Vincent, rfn, 651106

Burgess, Albert, lcpl, 1577

Bush, Sidney Charles, rfn, 3999

Clark, Lewis, lcpl, 2063

Clee, Frederick James, lcpl, 2561

Cooper, Lewis, rfn, 651033

Davis, William, rfn, 651257

Davis, John Percy, rfn, 3501

Dobson, William John, rfn, 651281

Drake, Henry, rfn, 3537

Duck, Leslie Sidney, sgt, 650022

Eastlake, Frank Wooton, lsgt, 2121

Elger, Marshall, rfn, 651462

Ellwood, Edward Albert, rfn, 650170

Fitch, Frederick Arthur, rfn, 651277

George, Stephen Penry, lcpl, 2426

Hanrahan, Richard, rfn, 650358

Harlock, Edward Arthur William, cpl, 2951

Harman, Jack Pennington, rfn, 651358

Hart, Stewart William, lsgt, 651005

Hobbs, Sidney, rfn, 3436

Howell, George Albert, rfn, 651336

Jackson, Thomas Henry, lcpl, 2769

Jesset, Joseph Richard, sgt, 1708

Jury, Fredrick Ernest, rfn, 651100

Knight, Morlington Nicholls, rfn, 3569

Lambe, Thomas Herbert, rfn, 2818

Lee, Walter George, lcpl, 2132

Merryweather, Charles Samuel, rfn, 650131

Nelson, Leonard, rfn, 650235

Oxlade, Frank, rfn, 650606

Partridge, William, rfn, 651330

Passey, George Leonard, lcpl, 650404

Pile, Ivor, rfn, 651301

Rundle, Albert Thomas, rfn, 1330

Scholfield, Herbert, rfn, 651437

Silvester, Frederick John, lcpl, 2834

Simpson, Charles Edward, rfn, 3866

Smith, Edward, rfn, 651235

Soper, Stanley, rfn, 651219

Spalding, Edwin Samuel, rfn, 650441

Style, William John, rfn, 651186

Suter, George Frederick, sgt, 650014

Telling, William James, rfn, 1629

Thomas, Victor George, rfn, 651332

Throsby, Alfred, rfn, 1173

Vint, Gerald, rfn, 651355

Walsh, Thomas, rfn, 651565

Ward, Henry Sidney, rfn, 651176

Watson, Archibald William, rfn, 651328

White, Edgar, rfn, 651693

White, Frederick, rfn, 3461

Wilson, Ernest Sidney Leonard, rfn, 1321

Wrigley, William, rfn, 3771

Wyllie, John Malcolm, rfn, 650447

Officers

(Where the Commonwealth War Graves Commission has 23 May 1916 as the date of death)

Edmunds. G., 2nd Lieut

Hunte, A.F., 2nd Lieut

I wrote the article for The Dulwich Society. During my research, I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves people the complete 'Roll of Honour' of the First Surreys. I have since given the document to the Lambeth Archive as they hold The First Surreys archive. The archive needs some work to catalogue and identify photographs and documents. Perhaps someone would volunteer to do this. It would be a shame not to have this done properly. I was at Dulwich Common several weeks ago and the Memorial area needs a good tidy-up. I should remind you that The Memorial has nothing to do with the First Surreys. Their Memorial is at St Giles Camberwell.

Jeff James wrote an excellent article. I hope many people read it.

I support his appeal for the First Surreys' archive to be properly catalogued, presevered, and perhaps digitised.

I chose this thread because our local Cadet Force has the East Dulwich War Memorial as the focus of remembrance for our local Battalion. I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

John K

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The significant Dulwich war memorials can be found in the three cemeteries at Honor Oak. Camberwell Old Cemetery, Camberwell New Cemetery and Nunhead Cemetery all within walking distance of one another. The First World War Memorial in the Camberwell Old Cemetery is impressive, to the right as you go in, and is worth a visit to walk around its 38 acres.

First off, have you visited the Camberwell Old Cememtery or the New Cemetery or Nunhead Cemetery? The 1/12 (Dulwich) used to hold their parade on ground next to the Grove Tavern. There is some information known about them and they served a useful role in preparing men for army service as a draft finding unit. The Dulwich Common memorial is a testament to them. It has nothing to do with the 21st London Regiment (First Surreys). Their memorial is at St Giles', Camberwell. The 1st battalion, 21st Londons recruited widely throughout London and the Home Counties, about 5% of the casualties at High Wood were from the Camberwell district, of a total of 7 officers and 141 men lost on that afternoon. The 2nd battalion were even more diverse in its make-up. During the course of the FWW both battalions receiving large drafts from other regiments including the East Surrey Regiment and the London Rifle Brigade. 24 of he 2nd battalion were to lose their lives when, as part of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, they were torpedoed off Alexandria at the year end 1917.

It was a really good turn out at the War Memorial this morning. The Pastor of the Church got his congregation there and really boosted the crowd.

There are a couple of issues: There is no sounding of the Last Post and Reveille before and after the Two Minutes Silence and it is sorely missing. I am going to get on to whoever organises the event to see if we cannot get even recordings of the two calls played next year.

The other issue, which I wrote Jonathan Mitchell our local councillor about, was the very dangerous situation that is created by having such a large crowd stood next to a busy road. Something does need to be done about that.

Otherwise I have never seen the memorial so well attended on Remembrance Day. Long may it continue.

I also attended the memorial service today. Echoing the last response it was nice to see so many people there. There was well over 100 people there. Hopefully this will continue.

I have the 2 recordings (reveille and last post). And will happily supply them next year.

The Dulwich Hospital War Memorial was also very well attended this year on Friday with around 50 people.

Very moving to hear all 119 names read aloud.

To think these patients that died didn't die quickly but after many days, weeeks, months of treatment.

I pray my children never have to face a war.