Sea cow closed

Fox - I thought you frequently enjoyed kebabs and curries? If you're happy to eat that stuff (inevitably the cheapest meat they can lay their hands on) then I don't think you need to worry whether this place will meat your standards.

James - yes I have no doubt that a diet heavy in veg with less meat (especially red meat) is much more healthy. But the public get what the public want - and the Meat Liquor chain is phenomenally popular. Besides, people eat out for a treat, it needn't reflect your daily diet.

Quite, although I'm sure Jaflong will only source the finest free range ingredients that money can buy.

Look forward to a cheeseburger soonish from MeatL.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Fox - I thought you frequently enjoyed kebabs and

> curries? If you're happy to eat that stuff

> (inevitably the cheapest meat they can lay their

> hands on) then I don't think you need to worry

> whether this place will meat your standards.

>

Is it possible to be an evangelist vegetarian and/or an advocate for animal welfare without coming across as a humourless, smug, patronising idiot?

Discuss. With reference to this thread (it's not looking good).

I liked the Sea Cow, and I'm sure I'll like Meat Liquor. The folks at GBK must be a bit nervous though.

Go and see a Morrissey concert. Even if you love him, the pro-vegan video show he puts on is very disturbing and has made me reduce my animal product consumption.

I am hoping that posher fast-food places use some of their profit to buy from excellent suppliers which care for their animals (before they do the opposite of caring by slaughtering them).

James Wrote:

> More and more people are cutting down on meat. 'Flexitarianism' (being a part-time vegetarian) is

> on the rise, as evidenced by restaurants like Ottolenghi and meat-eating celebrity chefs like

> Hugh Fearnley W bringing out vegetarian cookbooks. All the evidence says we eat too much meat as a

> nation - both for health and sustainability reasons, let alone animal welfare. But of course,

> there will always be those who choose to turn a blind eye to all of this.

That's all true, but people eating vegetarian/vegan are still in a very small minority. I'm not saying that targeting a business at the niche 10% can't be profitable, just that market economics will always have the majority of business targeting the majority of consumers.

Angelina Wrote:

> well sadly that attitude of 'don't care' about

> welfare standards is exactly what makes the meat

> farming industry allowed to keep on with it's

> awful practises.

>

> I suppose, what you don't see doesn't impact you -

> right? LMAO

Middle class problems.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Fox - I thought you frequently enjoyed kebabs and

> curries? If you're happy to eat that stuff

> (inevitably the cheapest meat they can lay their

> hands on) then I don't think you need to worry

> whether this place will meat your standards.

I seldom actually eat Take-Away kebabs these days. Back in the days when Yilmaz made their D?ners by hand on

site from lamb shoulders I used to eat more. I seldom eat the Smooth Pate like D?ners that are factory made.

I am concerned about Halal meat. as a concequence of late I tend to eat Prawn curries or vegetable biryanis..

Even meat bought in major supermarkets is no better generally that that found in most restaurants..

DulwichFox

>>Is it possible to be an evangelist vegetarian and/or an advocate for animal welfare without coming across as a >>humourless, smug, patronising idiot?

>>Discuss. With reference to this thread (it's not looking good).

Obviously touched a nerve there. If the facts make you feel uncomfortable, perhaps you should take a look at yourself?

>>Is it possible to be an evangelist vegetarian and/or an advocate for animal welfare without coming across as a >>humourless, smug, patronising idiot?

>>Discuss. With reference to this thread (it's not looking good).

Obviously touched a nerve there. If the facts make you feel uncomfortable, perhaps you should take a look at yourself?

The evidence mounts....

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Loz Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > James Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Bit of a shame it's another meat-obsessed

> > restaurant. Seems out of step with the times.

> >

> Considering that well over 90% of the UK are meat

> eaters, I'd say it is well in step with the

> times.

>

> ..and also explains the increase in instances of

> Bowel cancer..

>

How could that figure explain an increase, unless more people are eating meat, which I really doubt?

Nigello Wrote:

> I am hoping that posher fast-food places use some

> of their profit to buy from excellent suppliers

> which care for their animals (before they do the

> opposite of caring by slaughtering them).

It's probably a discussion for another thread, but I lived on an organic farm for a while which had cows, sheep and sometimes pigs, all out in the fields and very much cared for by the lovely farmers, who also had a mill producing organic animal feed.

I too always thought it odd that the animals ended their lives by being slaughtered, however when I thought about it a bit more closely, I realised that if it wasn't for the farm they wouldn't have had lives at all.

If people didn't eat meat, there would be no animals in the fields in our countryside.

Sue Wrote:

> Nigello Wrote:

> -----

>

> > I am hoping that posher fast-food places use

> some

> > of their profit to buy from excellent suppliers

> > which care for their animals (before they do

> the

> > opposite of caring by slaughtering them).

>

>

> It's probably a discussion for another thread, but

> I lived on an organic farm for a while which had

> cows, sheep and sometimes pigs, all out in the

> fields and very much cared for by the lovely

> farmers, who also had a mill producing organic

> animal feed.

>

> I too always thought it odd that the animals ended

> their lives by being slaughtered, however when I

> thought about it a bit more closely, I realised

> that if it wasn't for the farm they wouldn't have

> had lives at all.

>

> If people didn't eat meat, there would be no

> animals in the fields in our countryside.

Well, given we're big net importers of beef and lamb, people could halve their meat consumption without much of a dent in land given over to livestock in this country. The UK imports 240,000 tonnes of beef and veal per annum (while exporting 90,000 tonnes) and imports 84,000 tonnes of lamb and mutton per annum (while exporting 70,000 tonnes). But of course most meat eaten in this country is chicken and pork, very little of which is reaered outdoors.

Sue Wrote:

>

> I too always thought it odd that the animals ended

> their lives by being slaughtered, however when I

> thought about it a bit more closely, I realised

> that if it wasn't for the farm they wouldn't have

> had lives at all.

>

> If people didn't eat meat, there would be no

> animals in the fields in our countryside.

What do you mean they wouldn't have had lives at all? They wouldn't have existed? As for there being no animals in the fields if it weren't for meat eaters, I can't get my head around that either.

These lads headed straight for a field...........

voltore Wrote:

> Willard Wrote:

> -----

> > Flying Fish Camberwell

>

> Seconded. Surprised I hadn't seen a mention of it

> earlier.

> Consistently spot on. Used to eat here when I

> lived in Cambers but will happily go out of my way

> now I'm in ED.

>

> Just don't ask if they have anything 'ready'.. !

> The owner will take offence (saw a guy get his ear

> chewed off!)

Agree completely. We never returned to the Sea Cow after we discovered The Flying Fish.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> -----

> > Loz Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > James Wrote:

> > >

> >

>

> >

> > > -----

> > > > Bit of a shame it's another meat-obsessed

> > > restaurant. Seems out of step with the times.

>

> > >

> > Considering that well over 90% of the UK are

> meat

> > eaters, I'd say it is well in step with the

> > times.

>

> >

> > ..and also explains the increase in instances

> of

> > Bowel cancer..

> >

>

>

> How could that figure explain an increase, unless

> more people are eating meat, which I really doubt?

It's more to do with the type of meat we are eating.. and how much..

A lot more of the meat we all eat is processed.. and we have been eating a lot more of it..

Bacon, Ham, Sausages, Chorizo, Salami, Pate,

Bowel Cancer is mainly found in people over 60 so we are now the first generation to reach that age with

a history of eating processed meats..

Foxy

gingerchris Wrote:

> They should keep with the heritage of this

> building and call it The Ground Cow

I believe it was another Fish & Chip shop. Much smaller with just a couple of tables at the front.

It was a lovely place and I often sat in and enjoyed a fish n chip supper there.

Foxy.

Lambs bouncing around the fields and happy cows eating clover is how meat should be reared. It isn't the case in the most - and as consumers we have a voice in supporting the methods in place.

There is a vast industry in factory farming, where animals are pumped ful of drugs to make them fat, leaving them in really disgusting conditions - which is tantamount to cruelty and abuse.

The antibiotics and fat-inducing drugs do actually make their way into our own body, which really isn't healthy.

No-one is saying that we shouldn't eat meat - just saying that individuals shoudl be aware of the choices they are making and the behaviours they are condoning by the choices they make.

Organic meat is better for you, better for the animal and that has to be good.

If you're not sure about how the meat reaches your table, perhaps you could find out.

Compassion in World Farming advocate http://www.ciwf.org.uk/ woudl be an informative read. They are not saying 'let's all go vegan' but are working toward ending the cruelty of factory farming.

PETA - are advocating being vegan - no end of real clips of what actually happens in the meat industry. Quite nasty.

If we are having a new burger chain in ED, then I would hope it would make choices that are ethical and supportive of compassionate farming. In which case, thta's great as we know that by supportig the place we are also making those choices (inadvertently) - which can only be better than the methods we support passively by going to KFC, for example.

Imported meat means that standards do not need to be adhered to as they don't necessarily apply in other countries - and then we would be looking at transporting livestock and that is a whole other area that is unacceptable.

It's not a middle class problem, to care for the welfare of other life on this planet. It's not a problem at all - the more people that care, the better. What is the problem, is the apathy and treatment of animals that this apathy allows.

I will ask the new restaurant to communicate their Food Ethics Policy. Hopefully they'll post it on here. I will, however, when I get a response. Hopeing it's a good one and we can all enjoy knowing that the burgers were once happy cows, frolicking in the clover....and not the other end of the scale