Constant rubbish at Holmes Place, Oakhurst Grove

• 1 month later...

Walked past it this morning. The palm tree looks really good. The old printer, ironing board, plastic shelving and broken pedal bin and other crap next to it don't look so good though.

Anti-social scum will always be about, dumping their litter, I'm afraid. Disappointing, but not surprising.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm sad to say that the palm tree slowly died, and has now been replaced by a bush.

There are two new graffiti tags on the doors (in yellow and black), and a fly-tipper has dumped a mattress and a divan in the usual spot.

In other words, back to square one.

I have written to L&Q, but if anyone else would like to, the details are above

Renata's earlier post...

"It is for this reason that we jointly drafted a letter to residents to inform them of appropriate methods of disposing of unwanted furniture, white goods and other electricals when they move out.

Renata"

I don't doubt your good intentions Renata, but I suspect the people fly tipping are not doing so because they don't know the appropriate methods of disposal - I imagine they just can't be arsed and/or don't want to pay to dispose of their rubbish properly! No number of nicely worded letters trying to 'educate them' will have any effect.

Hi all,

I have reported the latest dumping and graffitti to First Port. I have also raised CCTV with them (again). It's a pity the Palm didn't survive, it did look attractive.

I'm not really sure what solution to this there is. There is a site, also in Peckham Rye Ward where fencing has been put around an electricity substation. Dumping still happens, people just chuck things over the fencing, making it look like a very large bin.

Renata

There's a flipping sofa dumped there now as well - I honestly don't understand where this constant stream of cruddy old furniture comes from!

I will write to L&Q too, will also suggest cctv as not sure what else will deter people

• 1 month later...

No need to apologise and thank you for continuing to flag this matter.

I just phoned First Port and they had already been notified - they have a contractor out tomorrow to collect the rubbish.

I tried to speak about preventative measures but as a non-resident (of Altima) the person I spoke to couldn't go into detail. She did say though that these collections get billed back to to the leaseholders at the block - also that preventative measures such as CCTV could only be implemented with the approval of the owners of the block.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today: Clothing rail, cardboard boxes, bits of broken chair, general household rubbish...

If anyone apart from me feels strongly enough to complain, here are the contacts:

Manager of the land (Holmes Close) where it gets dumped:

Manager: Asare Bampoe-Wilson

First Port Property Services

Tel 0333 321 4080 option 5

Email: [email protected]

Give the following references: ALTIMA COURT 39781

Manager of property whose tenants are dumping the trash (Greenview Court):

Ms Deborah Callender

Property Manager, now managing Greenview Court on Oakhurst Grove SE22

[email protected]

also contact

Ms Nori Persaud

Neighbourhood Services Officer

[email protected]

Councillors for this area:

Renata Hamvas

[email protected]

Gavin Edwards

[email protected]

Good luck

Do you know for sure that it's the tenants of Greenview who are doing the dumping? If I lived there I wouldn't dump rubbish so close to my own home. It could be anyone pulling up in the night and dumping, given that this area is just off a public road.

Do you live in Altima? If not, I'll see if I can ask them to consider CCTV (not always sure whether First Port pay more attention to their leaseholders or whether the service is just uniformly terrible). I can't see many other ways of solving this now other than actually convicting people and having real deterrents. But it also depends on the cost of CCTV vs the cost of ad hoc clearances. I care about the area looking nice, but with my cold/ logical service charge paying hat on I don't want to spend a disproportionate amount of our budget on one issue like this.

Posted by Lazero October 07, 03:07PM

"

Do you know for sure that it's the tenants of Greenview who are doing the dumping? If I lived there I wouldn't dump rubbish so close to my own home."

It is obviously end of tenancy sh*te which they are dumping, so that's the answer to your point, I think. They don't live there any more.

Hi all, I know this is an ongoing problem for you. This site is under a property management company, First Port Property Services. It's not council property so the council won't remove it unless the residents organise this. It appears that in general the fly tipping happens when residents move out from a property and can't be bothered to organise disposal of their unwanted items. The cost of fly tip removal is passed onto the remaining residents in their maintenance bills. I have asked them to consider CCTV a few times. They are however reluctant to do this as the cost would be passed onto residents as would the cost of viewing the CCTV. (However, this could deter residents from dumping).

I hope that this latest fly-tip gets removed over the next couple of days. Please let me know if it doesn't. If anyone spots a new fly tip at this location, The property company's number is +443333214080 and it's option 5.

Thanks

Renata

This is just going to go on isn't it? - as each tenant leaves, they remember that they have 'paid' for previous tenants' fly-tipping through their maintenance charges, so see doing it themselves as just getting their money's worth/ money back. Why would they want to pay twice (for the cost of removing other people's rubbish and then the cost of disposing of theirs). The maintenance charges can almost be seen as 'paying in advance' for dumping your rubbish when you go.

Yep. I take your point Lazero, but the crap appears mostly at the weekend and its almost always the sort of domestic stuff (sofas, crappy broken flat pack furniture, etc.) that people would dump to save moving it to their next place. I would be very surprised it if is the product of random dumping and not residents clearing out.

Well folks, your perseverance may have paid off.

There's me thinking a fence will never work, they'll just lob it over the top which will make extracting rubbish more difficult.

However, the 8' fence going up will be a bit of a challenge - all they have to do now is electrify it.

Place your bets on the new location for society's unwanted crud.

The enclosure is being installed to try and prevent the dumping. It will be interesting to see if it works or just moves dumping next to the enclosure or people throw rubbish over the top. I'm a bit sceptical about this being successful,but I know residents are fed up with the grot spot and with the cost of removal so fingers crossed that it has the desired effect!

Renata

A new sport, lob the divan over the fence.

If the rubbish can no longer be dumped on the small plot that First Port are currently responsible for, then it will spill over onto the pavement that Southwark are responsible for. So the LA pay for the rubbish removal instead of the private management company. Not a great solution, just pushing the responsibility onto someone else. I'm totally p****d off with the lazy attitude of both tenants and landlords, and selfish human beings in general, who trash their own neighbourhood with impunity. Time to move to the Hebrides I think.