Constant rubbish at Holmes Place, Oakhurst Grove

Hi there,

Just been reading this thread and can recommend the website/app 'fixmystreet'. It's a quick way to report fly tipping or other pesky problems and have the council deal with it. I've tried it where I live and have been successful.

It's true though that if rubbish is on private land, it's not something the council will deal with. In that case, like the ppl above have found, emailing the customer service department of the relevant housing association has helped.

Actually talking to the people whose house/business has been affected by vandalism can work too. I've told a few householders/business owners about the council services and they've done the right thing - some of them have cleaned up even without Southwark's assistance.

Cllrs Hamvas and Barber have been helpful too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sunglasses,

thanks for letting me know about this. The problem with this site is that it's not owned by the Council. The nearby properties are owned by L & Q Housing Association, but this grot spot is owned by someone else and under control of a private management company. I will contact the company and ask them (once more) to clear up the rubbish.

Renata

• 1 month later...

I've contacted L&Q asking then to fix it and what they think will solve the problem permanently.

I think it looks a sad and neglected corner which attracts such anti social dumping.

Some fencing and grass or shrubs would go a long way to deterring this. I will work with them to try and get this change to happen. I suspect it won't be quick.

Any yes, it's outside 'my patch' but doing nothing doesn't feel an option.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've contacted L&Q asking then to fix it and what

> they think will solve the problem permanently.

> I think it looks a sad and neglected corner which

> attracts such anti social dumping.

> Some fencing and grass or shrubs would go a long

> way to deterring this. I will work with them to

> try and get this change to happen. I suspect it

> won't be quick.

>

> Any yes, it's outside 'my patch' but doing nothing

> doesn't feel an option.

Selective eh? The offer of personal alarms for women couldn't go 'outside you patch' but the time to clear rubbish can. Well done, sinking to a new low. A view that you pass is it? Damaging the Barber Nirvana?

Thanks to Renata for taking actual action. JB usually follows a couple of posts later.

To update on the current fly tip situation. When we had the previous Fly tipping incident, I contacted L&Q and discovered that this site is under a property management company, First Port Property Services. I have contacted them and asked to remove the dumped items (they don't appear to have any record of the current fly tip being reported to them). I have worked with them on the draft of a letter which will go out to all residents giving them options on how to disposes of unwanted items (eg local charities that take bulky items and electricals and Southwark's bulky waste service). The cost of fly tip removal is passed onto the residents in their maintenance bills.

I hope that this latest fly-tip gets removed over the next couple of days. Please let me know if it doesn't. If anyone spots a new fly tip at this location, The property company's number is +443333214080 and it's option 5.

Thanks

Renata

Renata

My issue here, is that First Port are the management agents for Altima Court, the bigger development beyond the gates.

I'm an owner there, and inevitably the cost of removing this rubbish gets passed on to everyone else through our service charge, grossly unfair when the culprits are unknown and more than likely do not live in Altima Court.

I, and hopefully other residents will pressure First Port to do something with that patch of wasteland, so that it discourages this kind of anti social behaviour.

Hi Cactus, I fully understand your issues with this. In my most recent conversation with them when they pointed out that the removal of fly tipped material is paid for by the residents, I did point out by the nature of the material that is getting dumped it is being done by people vacating properties. The area where the dumping occurs seems to be at an electricity sub-station. We did discuss CCTV, but they were not keen on the idea as they pointed out that it could work out very expensive, particularly the monitoring costs and this all would be passed onto residents!

It is for this reason that we jointly drafted a letter to residents to inform them of appropriate methods of disposing of unwanted furniture, white goods and other electricals when they move out.

Renata

I live in Altima - there was a letter that was put out some months ago yet it didn't stop this latest occurrence. I feel that the limitation of these types of letters is that the only people who take notice are those who are already conscientious. People vacating properties may not care. Doing something with the area would hopefully help. One day the costs of all these ad hoc disposals might well add up to the cost of some CCTV!

There's also a lot of dumping of inappropriate items inside the gate in the main rubbish area. This isn't as obvious or as visually offensive, but it still sits there for ages taking up space in the bin area. This is clearly by residents, but outside by the electricity sub-station it could be anyone pulling up in a car and dumping this stuff.

Hi Speedbird,

Offering to spend my time helping with casework to clear rubbish is different from offering things that cost real public cash in areas that that cash isn't meant to be applied to.

I'm sorry the relevant ward councillors haven't funded attack alarms there. In the past I made applications for them to fund such items and they declined. They weren't a priority to them.

Hi cactus,

I would counsel that a Cleaner, Greener, Safer grant to put proper fencing there would physically make it harder for the flytipping. You should email Renata with an application and the ward councillors could choose to use any CGS underspends to support such an application. It would meet the criteria for the scheme.

hi Lazero,

Clearly with bulk waste collections now being charged by Southwark Council at ?16 some have decided to flytip.

This is the approach we've taken in East Dulwich ward.

If you need any help making an application please get in touch.

Hi Lazero,

I'm trying to work constructively with First Port on this. It's difficult as they are the freeholders of this site and therefore responsible for sorting out the issues there. I did suggest CCTV to them. In terms of the dumping, on the whole the nature of the items being dumped indicates they are likely to be from residents vacating properties rather than driving up and dumping (eg the recent dump has been sofas etc which wouldn't have fitted into a car. Someone with a van could have just easily taken the items to the Southwark recycling centre as dumped them.)I wasn't involved in the previous letters so I don't know their content. I'm hoping with information about eg how you can dispose of your unwanted sofa responsibly, that residents will act accordingly. Of course there is never any guarantee!

Renata

Hi Renata and James Barber

I personally feel prevention (e.g. fencing or shrubs etc) would be far more effective and cheaper than trying to catch/punish perpetrators (i.e. CCTV)

I'm happy to make a CGS application if either of you could PM me with some advice on how to do it

thanks

Thank you James and Renata for your responses.

I think the problem with Altima Court and Greenview Court, is the high turnover of residents. Owners, tenants and landlords frequently cannot be bothered to do the right thing, and dump wave after wave of cheap throwaway furniture each time they move in and out. Very depressing.

I agree that the best solution is to fence off the area at Holmes Place, which wouldn't cost the earth and would be way cheaper than CCTV and numerous rubbish removals by First Port.

As I mentioned, I will be writing to First Port to ask them to find a more permanent solution to the issue. We don't have a residents association in Altima Court, but there is a Facebook group, so I'll post a message there to encourage as many residents as possible to do the same.

A better sort of more neighbourly tenant might be the only thing that prevents scumbags dumping their rubbish there. I walk past there a lot and there's often crappy furniture fly tipped there. Clearly it is dumped by some loser who is moving out but who doesn't care about anyone else.

Unfortunately, I suspect no number of palm trees will deter feral/antisocial people like that. Still, fingers crossed I'm wrong.