When good neighbours become good friends - the Nunhead way. (Jacqui Smith) (Lounged)

macroban

I have no love for Smith. She is deeply unimpressive as a politician.

But ratting on the neighbours with a spread in The Mail is a bit undignified. If you've already written to the parliamentary authority, do you need your picture in the papers?

Obviously if it had been a better newspaper.. no problem.

Interestingly the police were there early this morning hen I walked passed. Apparently they are never there on a Monday morning! Even as a tory voter I think this is underhand. They of course fail to mention that she was there over Christmas (visiting family obviously). I have to also say I have seen the police regularly on a Friday (though mostly not).

oh yes all JS fault, christ she has almost turned us in to a labour version of Iran. As i walked back through central London through the throngs of revellers, street urinators and general alcohol induced free for all i thought "that bleedin jS and her controlling ways !"

Is Iran the new Godwin's? :)

It sounds like you've got a bee in your bonnet...

And if you re-read what I said, I did not suggest she was responsible for everything. I said it seemed like her mission to achieve this.

There are many other ministers and ministries equally culpable. Just take a look at yesterday's angry response by the normally extremely staid British Computer Society to the Coroners and Justice Bill ('risible', 'draconian', 'potentially dangerous'). Or indeed the BMA's response to same. Or the demo by professional photographers this morning outside New Scotland Yard...

The standards commissioner has accepted the complaint against Jacqi Smith (having rejected it twice) - bbc

the most annoying/depressing thing about this, and all the other MP's expenses rows, is that all they are concerned about is whether a particular practice can somehow be said to be within the rules, as opposed to being fair and honest. Jacqui Smith must know that the honest thing to have done would have been to claim expenses relating to her sister's house (she supposedly pays ?100/week rent) rather than her family home, but she just says "it's within the rules"

OK, so this might actually be the fringes of Nunhead, but Dominic and Jessica Taplin represent all that's worst about the new smug arriviste elements of East Dulwich. I don't approve of what Jacqui Smith is doing as Home Secretary at all, but this couple come across as proper bumholes - I would happily go and chuck eggs and flour on their house come Halloween and bring all the inhabitants of Inside 72 with me, but for the fact that the bar's replacement Adventure would be better named Inertia.

P.S. I'm not having a dig at all East Dulwichites, just at the Taplin's of this postcode(s).

I suspect that if the Taplins had merely written to the Commons Fees Office they would have been brushed off; by telling the DM as well the Fees Office and the Commissioner are obliged to take it seriously or face some very difficult explaining.

I have no great love for politicians, but this really is a load of vile old Daily Mail cock, helped along by its legion of willing talking heads , as outlined in the article

If JS had rented a place for say ?1K a month for 12 years, then it would be a bit more than the " possibly up to ?200,000 " amassed since she decamped to London in 1997, then it would be a great deal more than cost to the taxpayer for a bit of room rental in her sisters house- she could be caning it at Dolphin square like the rest of her kind

& racking up considerably more in rent

and what about this filler shite ?

"Mrs Taplin, who is pregnant"

"Mr Taplin, who used to part-own London nightclubs Abigail's Party and Legends "

eh ? so what ?

apparently a local shopkeeper has nver seen her buy anything in his shop - there are plenty of LL emporiums that have not had the pleasure of Snorkys wedge.

I dont want to get into any type of charachter assination on the Taplins, but sort your lives out- getting interviewed & Photo'd by the Mail isnt exactly the 15 minutes of fame Warhol was on about - its seedy, dire and petty manipulation by this Nazi organ of vitriol and hate

All Mail fail, all the time

Saw the Taplin woman on TV, she doesn't look like a very nice person at all. Pass me the eggs and I'll go round personally and egg her.

Does she spend every day checking if there are policemen outside Jacqui's house? Funny, most days when I drive past, there are policemen there, doesn't matter if it's Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or any other damned day.

And it's true, she's being economical, she could have gone and rented a property for thousands more, at least her sister's getting ?100 a week to buy some extra shopping at Lidl.

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If JS had rented a place for say ?1K a month for

> 12 years, then it would be a bit more than the "

> possibly up to ?200,000 " amassed since she

> decamped to London in 1997

No. ?1000 * 12 * 12 = ?144,000

I'm not saying that the amount she claimed is unreasonable, but I would say that she's abusing her expenses buy renting a cheap room in London, then getting her family home subsidised. OK so most people who have ever worked for a large company have fiddled their expenses at some point, but as a politician, she should realise that her actions will be scrutinised in the public eye.

But still, I have no time for this Taplin person, or the Daily Mail, or this so-called "news article".