Forum Sponsors

https://m.facebook.com/cariadpets/photos
xxxx
Pure View Carpentry Ltd

www.inshutters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: If Alleyns doesn't take local kids whats it for apart from ruining Dulwich?
Posted by grabot 10 March, 2012 15:32

No to the last point. The lion's share of the Estate's income goes to the private schools in Dulwich, Dulwich College et al. A small remainder goes to a very exclusive grammer school in Kent and something called,I think, the central London school's foundation. Make no mistake, the Estate exists primarily to protect the sensibilities of rich posh people.

messageRe: If Alleyns doesn't take local kids whats it for apart from ruining Dulwich?
Posted by Townleygreen 10 March, 2012 18:37

They are called Central Foundation School - the boys is near Old Street (Islington borough) the girls is in Tower Hamlets.
They used to be grammar schools until these were abolished by the ILEA in 1977.

Grabot said
Quote:
Make no mistake, the Estate exists primarily to protect the sensibilities of rich posh people.

A rather childish comment! What about the people who scrimp and save to pay the fees for their kids at Alleyn's? Ordinary non-posh people who happen to care about their kids' education!
They might well get help from the school's bursary fund with those fees, too. Plus help in case thye want to go on a school trip or sports tour too.

You come across as remarkably bitter and unreasonable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:10:18:42:42 by Townleygreen.

Posted by grabot 10 March, 2012 19:06

Paraphrasing e-dealer. My beef is with the Estate not the schools. And yes, as far as the Dulwich Estate is concerned, I am resentful. You said it yourself, they are far from progressive. I resent any attempt on their part to claim altruistic motive. If you want to get childish you were happy to leave this thread with a vague assumption that the Estate is largely focused on providing for schools in the East end. Be honest. Just accept that many want exclusive education, I don't have a problem with that, but don't sugar it with vaguely altruistic claims and politicing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:10:19:12:44 by grabot.

Posted by Townleygreen 10 March, 2012 23:23

What utter nonsense, grabot!
grabot said
Quote:
you were happy to leave this thread with a vague assumption that the Estate is largely focused on providing for schools in the East end
I never said that! The money goes to DC, Alleyns and JAGs on the basis of the number of pupils in each of the schools. DC gets most as it has most kids.
The East End schools (sic) and St Olave's in Orpington get hugely less. In fact we can ignore what they get, it it so small.
You don't deal at all with my point about "rich posh people" (your words), do you? Why did you say that? It is unfair and rude to hard working people who scrimp and save to pay for their child at Alleyns and you know it. So don't say it please.

Posted by Miacis 11 March, 2012 08:42

Couple of points:

These schools are highly selective which means that unless a child is exceptionally bright you have to pay for tutors to get them to the point hwere they can reach the entry criteria - a key barrier to entry which is rarely mentioned. Tutors cost.

The selection criteria ensures they get the results but also drags down the average for surrounding schools - fuelling the panic around state schools.

Relatively few people have 15K a year spare cash - remember that the average London salary is cú28K - even that hides a huge disparity - many people care just as passionately about their children's education but are priced out of this market. Tiny numbers get bursaries etc and see above re tutors.

Fundamentally this is about buying your children a place at the front of life's queue

Interesting to note that of state and private pupils with the same A level results - state children do better at uni

Posted by uncleglen 11 March, 2012 16:28

One reason that state children do better at uni is because they have had to become independent learners because of the chaos going on around them!
Interesting to note that Harriet Harman's son went to St. Olave's in Orpington presumably because she and her husband (Jack Dromey, Trade Unionist), did not want to be seen sending him to DC or Alleyn's. I wonder if they claimed his travelling expenses? He could have walked to the DC or Alleyn's from his home. Why didn't he go to Kingsdale, eh?

Posted by skyblue 11 March, 2012 19:02

Left of centre politicians who tell us they want to dismantle private education and then go on to Send their kids to private or back door selective school make me feel sick. Tony Blair, Diane Abbott Ruth Kelly the list goes on. Then they preach the opposite to us plebeians. Arggh. There is so much corrosive hypocrisy. As for Alleyn's for this legacy to have been in place for hundreds of years is an achievement If it could be available to a larger proportion of disadvantaged kids it would benefit society more. Ironically from what a previous poster said The labour party stopped what left of assisted places. If it took local kids first in a kind of local catchment it would also free up local state places benefiting the rest us more.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum