New Somerfield opening

MrBen

We have a new Somerfield opening just down from The Plough. Quite why I am not exactly sure - it will be useful for those of us up that end of the lane but catastophic for the little grocers like Val's and the cheery Seikh chaps that run the great little newsagents opposite Plough DIY. They have a petition on their counter asking all their loyal customers for support and are clearly deeply worried about their future livlihood.

Somerfields is rubbish. I have often walked in there and not seen any shrink wrapped crap I want to actually buy. I don't understand why they need two stores in SE22 or if the current site will be sold off / or become a Co op following the takeover.

And also not great news for local independents and my 2nd favourite sunday paper shop. Not happy!

I don't remember seeing any planning notice for this; I think Val etc should make a formal complaint to the CEO of Southwark and ask for an explanation. There is no demand for a Somerfield up here and frankly the one on Lordship Lane is pitiful.

The Somerfield in Lordship Lane, so rightly described by Amelie as 'pitiful', will become a Co-op, so out of the frying pan and into the fire. I thought Somerfield were no longer opening new stores and were being phased out so am surprised/sceptical at this news.

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't remember seeing any planning notice for

> this; I think Val etc should make a formal

> complaint to the CEO of Southwark and ask for an

> explanation. There is no demand for a Somerfield

> up here and frankly the one on Lordship Lane is

> pitiful.

Not sure this will need a planning application, but the licence application is open at the moment:

http://licensing.southwarksites.com/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=829118

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We have a new Somerfield opening just down from

> The Plough. Quite why I am not exactly sure - it

> will be useful for those of us up that end of the

> lane but catastophic for the little grocers like

> Val's and the cheery Seikh chaps that run the

> great little newsagents opposite Plough DIY. They

> have a petition on their counter asking all their

> loyal customers for support and are clearly deeply

> worried about their future livlihood.

>

> Somerfields is rubbish. I have often walked in

> there and not seen any shrink wrapped crap I want

> to actually buy. I don't understand why they need

> two stores in SE22 or if the current site will be

> sold off / or become a Co op following the

> takeover.

>

> And also not great news for local independents and

> my 2nd favourite sunday paper shop. Not happy!

I quite agree MrBen, not good news for those little guys, hopefully loyal customers will support them.

The planning application looks pukka so I have sent my objections to Southwark council by e-mail and would encourage those who feel strongly to do the same. I am very concerned that this will attract riff-raff to that part of Lordship Lane.

There is a thread on Somerfield, they have definitely been bought by the Co-op, so I can't see how they can be opening another store since all their existing stores are either being sold (eg to Waitrose) or turned into Co-ops.

For all the ill will directed towards the Somerfield on LL I'm surprised we haven't yet seen a concerted boycott campaign against it. I for one refuse to buy a single thing there. But clearly they still have enough customers to stay in business. How many times have you read posts from people complaining about the terrible products or service they may have bought or received and how they will never go into Somerfield.

Yet people like my mate still go there despite the mouldy fruit, cereal boxes allegedly chewed by vermin and goodness knows what else. They do this because its easy and convenient and the Sainsbury's is just a bit too far.

The solution is simple if you don't like Somerfield simply don't shop there, or as strikes are very much the flavour of the day start a very middle class picket of the store (this may very well be illegal so not ideal).

I have just come off the phone to a person at Somerfield customer service department and they seemed to be under the impression that LL (lower end) store had been one of the sold off stores via Co-op. They have taken down my email address and have promised to forward any relevant information onto me as and when it is officially released. Surely this cant have been bought by Waitrose or M&S?

Louisa.

Perhaps, and this is purely speculation, if indeed the current Somerfield has been sold off to someone else, then the smaller unit at the Plough end of LL would be a suitable downsizing location for the Co-op store, and would perhaps be a more suitable location for them. Who knows. I'm now more concerned as to what will replace the current Somerfield.

Louisa.