New Somerfield opening

MrBen

flowermum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can I be one of the few people to stick up for Somerfield?

I will stick up for it too. For cupboard stuff, bread, milk etc. it is fine - and handy on the way home from work as it is open until 10pm. Good special offers too.

Sainsbury's DKH is all a bit overwhelming - I don't need that much choice!

Natalious13 Wrote:

> Lastest Somerfield/Co-op update... could be

> another 2 years before we see a Co-op on Lordship

> Lane. From The Independent this morning:

>

> "Peter Marks, the chief executive of The

> Co-operative Group, has revealed that he plans to

> close Somerfield's head office in Bristol next

> year, putting hundreds of jobs at risk, and that

> it will take "at least two years" to convert more

> than 650 Somerfield stores to its own brand.

>

> Speaking for the first time about his plans after

> the Co-operative's ?1.57bn acquisition of

> Somerfield is completed next month, Mr Marks said

> that the UK's largest mutual retailer would run

> Somerfield as a "separate entity" for about 18

> months while the integration of the two local

> grocery chains takes place."

Well there's a pile of concrete something-or-others, that weren't there a while ago. Something seems to be going on (at the old Co-op site that is).

hello,

We live just by where the somerfields is supposedly opening, and aside from all the other worries (I am pro the waitrose move :P) what are we all going to do about parking? Its already busy enough on this road and parking can be difficult, but if we have people driving here to do their weekly shopping its going to make it even worse.

Bridget

Horsebox Wrote:

> There is a licence application in the name of

> somerfield attached to the fencing. Seems they do

> intend to open on the site.

Hey...I do my research you know. No Threshers, M&S or Richer Sounds rumours from me... :))

That's not to say this wont be co-op branded by opening which is still a possibility.....

I have to say that I'm totally baffled as to why they are opening two sites so close to each other - unless they plan to sell off their current prime Lordship Lane location, take the profit and relocate which would make sense. Prices for commerical supermarket food premises have remained steady in this recession (versus rest of commercial property market down 25-35%) because they are government licensed, in limited supply and people still eat in a downturn (albeit more cheaply) so logically I reckon a sell off of the current site is a high possibility.

Bt more to the point do we want two Somerfields? - I think the consensus here is a big fat "NO".

MrBen Wrote:

> I have to say that I'm totally baffled as to why

> they are opening two sites so close to each other

Presumably because if they don't, someone else will - Tesco Express, Sainsbury's Local, Costcutter, Londis.......

If there's going to be a supermarket there Somerfield might as well pick up the trade rather than lose it competition - same reason most central London streets have a bout 10 branches of Starbucks on them - in fact Starbucks are believed to factor an acceptable level of cannibalisation into their business plans when considering new branches

Somerfield will not be opening a second store, they will be re-locating their present store to the other end of LL.

Sainsbury, Tesco, Costcutter and Londis already have a big enough presence in the area so it wont be any of those, and Waitrose and M&S have already confirmed they will not be opening a branch in ED.

Maybe it is going to become a Next? LOL

Louisa.

Sue Wrote:

> I'm still totally bemused as to how they can be

> opening a store when they've been taken over by

> the Co-op.

>

> :-$

The two chains can still keep their separate identities Sue - Coop may pull the strings but they will keep the "good" name of Somerfiled in their locker as they have paid for the goodwill.

bridgetj Wrote:

> what are we all going to do about parking?

Surely any car owner in their right mind would drive to Sainsbury's for their weekly shop, rather than go to Somerfield. However, a small Somerfield may be useful for shoppers on foot.

Not everybody drives. Indeed it's possible that a large part of East Dulwich that don't. Those that can't afford to run a car for instance and the elderly. Also due to the number of local schools I would imagine there will be a large amount of Mum's calling in for their shopping either after dropping off the children or on the way home from collecting them.

Incidently, there are two Somerfields in Camberwell.

somerfield so rubbish that the free range chicken i bought there on Saturday was rotten by sunday... they only took it back under duress saying 'where's the receipt!'.. if the co-op, tho, their food usually much better and always top in recommendations here and there.. not great for little local shops tho which need much support as poss just now.. should've gone to my usual william rose for that silly chicken. won't make that mistake again!

sazzle Wrote:

> I read in the paper that sainburys have bought

> some shops from co-op, so it could be another

> sainsburys?

>

>

xxxxxxx

Yes I saw that as well, and it said that they were turning most of them into Sainsbury's Local, or whatever they're called.

I wouldn't rule out having two so close together, I use Somerfield because Sainsbury's is a long walk and there's no point driving there unless I'm doing a rare big shop. I wouldn't like a Sainsbury's Local, but I would probably use it.

I do hope it becomes a Co-Op, though.

:-S