Piermont Green

Has anyone checked whether Piermont Green is "safe" under the Harris Academy proposals?

With c1100 pupils and staff to filter into the school from the narrow Peckham Rye (road) during the morning rush-hour, Piermont Green looks to be ideal to tarmac over to provide a drop-off area for 4x4s and people-carriers.

This new school for 950 boys will no doubt have a negative impact on the surrounding area, not only Piermont Green but the park, the streets, the traffic, parking.....

I've posted under Harris Academy thread with more info.

Piermont green may not become a car park, but it will a choice drop-off and collection point. Not to mention a fantastic spot for 1000 boys (with no 'bikesheds' at the school, so to speak) to utilize.

And for those of you thinking you're a few streets away so you'll be ok: When the traffic calming measures at the bottom of Upland Road are removed and North Cross Road and its offshoots also become prime pickings on the school run, you may think differently.

Thank you, Eileen.

Do you know this from documentation?

It may be unfortunate if Piermont Green is legally part of Peckham Rye Common.

As far as I know, Article 17 of the Schedule to the Ministry of Housing and Local Government Provisional Order Confirmation (Greater London Parks and Open Spaces) Act 1967 as most recently amended by Para 2(5) of Schedule 4 of the Commons Act 2006 still permits common land registered under the Metropolitan Commons Act 1866 to be taken for "street improvement".

So much easier to argue that a small triangle of land of a much greater whole should be sacrificed for "street" improvement".

Perhaps there's a lawyer here who could do a little pro bono work this lunch-time and confirm the legal position?

That may be so but I'm sure the people who live on and around Piermont Green would have something to say about it. When the school was up and running before as Keef has rightly pointed out there was absolutely no reason to tarmac over that part of the Green or Common just so a bunch of spoiled kids can be driven to and from school by their over protective mums in their 4 x 4s.

The majority of 4x4 school runs are done for infant schools and for schools with difficult access, I cannot see why Harris with older pupils and good transport links should require drop-offs. Add to this a very sizable local school age population who can walk in under 10mins.

Macroban - I think you are being a tad reactionary and dare i say a bit hysterical. There will of course be an increase in traffic, but I don't think any council will run the risk of a local residents fight by doing something like tarmacing a common as a drop off point, or removing traffic restrictions. If anything, they will make dropping off almost impossible to deter the school runners.

A good academy in East Dulwich will be a fantastic assest to the area and will help generate a balance, by this I mean investment on in the Peckham borders and probably an improvement in the parade of local shops at Barry Rd and Forest hill. As a very local resident - without children, I think the academy will be a real positive. I do feel sad that the old building will be demolished, but I also think a site in london such as harris must maximise its potential. Better a new built for purpose building then an old building that can't cope with demands.

This is 'progress' and we need a secondary school.

There's not a lot of choice - there's Charter which is tricky to get into - then there's some up by Forest Hill I think. The Peckham Academy fingerprints its kids and has a very bad reputation. Its all a bit of a nightmare really. The area is desperate for a new school and there's been much argy bargy between the council and Ms Jowell about who'd to blame for it being delayed and delayed.

Its a shame the academies just get swooped into place, I think in Lambeth parents grouped together and managed to get a new school built.

Is 950 really that many? I think this is great news.

I've not been able to work out which public authority has the power to decide the fate of Piermont Green. Since the abolishment of the Greater London Council and then the London Residuary Body there have been layer upon layer of Acts of Parliament and Statutory Instruments transfering land and powers. It seems, though, it is unlikely to be Southwark Council. Perhaps if anyone knows the answer they can let me know?

Those of you who think that Piermont Green has some sort of magical protection because it is common land should take note of the London Development Agency's intention to take six acres of Crystal Palace Park (also Metropolitan Open Land) for housing development.

Yes. Seriously.

But only 177 luxury housing units.

See here amongst many other URLs.

The strip of Peckham Rye Park along Colyton Road would never be taken for housing development. Right?

And now to more important East Dulwich Forum things. Where should I buy my next cup of coffee?

I live very close to Piermont Green and would not like them to tarmac it over for any one to park their 4x4 and people carriers to drop off kids that can walk. I've heard from some one that works in the council that the site may be converted in to flats - now that would be a much more appealing option!

• 2 months later...

>>Much nicer than the new-build monstrosity on (I think) Underhill Road.<<

That one (at the junction of Overhill & Underhill) is truly horrid isn't it? It has already had three windows broken by local...umm...architectural critics. They have crammed far too much into a narrow site - and given the costs of demolishing the previous wreck of a house there before even starting the build I don't see where any serious profit will come from.