> more

> > likely to go and use it if there was rain or

> snow!

>

> in the Alps in heated pools surrounded by snow

> banks

>

> in Peckham in heated (or not) pool surrounded by

> Heavy Petrol / Diesel spewing traffic.

>

> Yes.. I can definitely see the similarity

>

> DulwichFox

I didn't say it was going to be as nice - but if heated I would definitely use it in the winter and in the rain and I think many others would too. And as Saffron sagely points out above, we should be doing something about the pollution, not simply ceding our public spaces to the internal combustion engine. If you're going to use that as an excuse for not building something, no outdoor facility of any type should ever be built anywhere in London.

rendelharris Wrote:

I didn't say it was going to be as nice - but if heated I would definitely use it in the winter and

in the rain and I think many others would too.

You would use it.. and many others.. How many ?

How many to justify the massive cost to heat the water in the pool.. 100 150 ? every day rain or shine.

Foxy

Exactly 127, except weekends when it'll be 153. As absurd an answer as it is to ask the question which you know I can't answer, not having a feasibility studies and market research department at my immediate disposal. I can say that of the four people I know who swim regularly at Brockwell Lido (i.e. four times a week plus) all have said they would prefer a heated outdoor pool to swimming indoors in winter.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rendelharris Wrote:

>

> I didn't say it was going to be as nice - but if

> heated I would definitely use it in the winter

> and

> in the rain and I think many others would too.

>

> You would use it.. and many others.. How many ?

>

> How many to justify the massive cost to heat the

> water in the pool.. 100 150 ? every day rain or

> shine.

>

> Foxy

add me to that many.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --

> >

> > How many of the 'I would deffo use it '

> brigade

> > currently use the pool at Brockwell Park and

> how

> > often..

> >

> > Let us get realistic about this project..

> >

>

>

>

> Didn't you say something similar about the ED

> cinema?

>

> And about The Ivy House when it became a community

> owned pub?

>

> Both of which appear to be thriving :)

from my limited experience of the EDF, i'd say that sounds about right.

I think the lido would be nice, but agree that it might not get the year round use required to keep it going. And I'd only really support it if Southwark weren't footing the bill, as at this time I don't think it would be a responsible use of public funds.

I would love an outdoor heated pool, and a swimming pond for wild swimming would be awesome. I love swimming outside, even in cold weather, but a heated pool would be a real draw.

I can't get to swim in any of the local pools on a weekday as the open sessions are so few. Currently I travel to the big pool in crystal palace park

Well the Peckham Lido has certainly provoked some lively debate, with some interesting points on both sides! Just to let you know I have been having the odd look at the EDF and taking note of concerns and messages of support from local people. We'll do our best to take as much of it on board when coming up with some early stage designs later in the year.

For the time being the main focus is certainly going to be raising the ?66,000 we need to develop the project further. If you want to help the project you can donate here:

https://www.spacehive.com/peckham-lido

If you know anyone else who may want to support the project please share it with them too.

You can also follow the Facebook or Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/peckhamlido/

@peckhamlido

We also need a few more people to help distribute posters in local shops and schools. If anyone is able to help with this please get in touch through the Facebook page as I won't be able to reply to messages through the EDF.

Thanks again,

Ben

I love it when I see a quote like

".. People are not going to an outdoor pool in the Rain . Winter. Heated or not. and wont be going every day.

Serious swimmers will go to the baths on Crystal Palace rd. "

As swimmers will already be wet (it's the nature of swimming) then rain won't make a blind bit of difference to them , the heated element will make it lovely and warm even in the snow and what a great experience it is indeed.

Let's look to nature to give us a clue concerning use of heated outdoor pools in the winter

Isn't this area Metropolitan Open Land? It might be a bit controversial locally replacing open space with a restaurant, gym, yoga/dance studio and function room for hire.

Do the Friends of Peckham Rye Park have a view on the new Lido?

LondonMix Wrote:

> Its not a new Lido, its reinstating an old Lido

> which I think will make a lot of difference from a

> planning perspective.

>

> Not sure about the supporting facilities but that

> I am sure will largely depend on bulk / massing.

The old Lido was Local Authority run .. I would imagine Southwark are not keen on doing that..

Because it is Common Land it should NOT be offered up to private enterprise.

If it were, it would set a president for the rest of the common..

So I really don't know where this will go.

DulwichFox

To answer a couple of queries:

The plan is to heat the pool with ground and air source heat pumps, which require very little energy to run. Part of the money which we are currently raising is to calculate the energy use for the building and to use renewable sources wherever possible.

We are rebuilding a facility which was there from the 20s to the late 80s. And before that there was a swimming pond on the same site from at least the 1850s. Having a lido on the site is not a new concept. When I was a kid growing up in the area, we had lots more pools than there are now and most of them were well used. The pioneer centre was still in use and we had a very busy pool in New Cross Gate too.

The facility will NOT be privately owned.It will be run as a social enterprise who will lease the land from the council. The main priority of the project is to provide a fantastic new outdoor swimming facility which can support itself financially long term. The ticket prices will be in line with Brockwell Lido.

With intelligent design we can make the inside of the pool feel very calm and secluded from the traffic at the junctions. The lido will be pretty much in the same location it was before, so it is set in from the road on all sides.

The reason that it's worth building a new lido, when we already have the Pulse, East Dul and Camb is because the lido is actually a very different facility and experience. The lido will be 50m which means that for anyone who takes swimming seriously, they can train properly. Kids who live locally have to go to Crystal Palace to use a 50m pool. It is also meant to be a place for people of all ages to relax, sunbathe, have fun. Teenagers can spend days there in the summer holiday rather than hanging out in the street. It will be a place to hang out as family or with friends, sunbathe and relax!

The other local lidos have queues running round the block all summer and you can barely find a place to put your towel. There is clearly huge demand for more places to swim outdoors especially in the summer months. For anyone who has used heated pools in the winter however, as long as the water is warm enough it is a very nice experience.

We know not everyone is going to be keen and we'll try and address as many of the concerns as possible. I hope this answers a few of the questions.

Ben Lloyd-Ennals

All this talk of lidos inspired me to go to Brockwell for the first time yesterday evening.

It was glorious! No queues, plenty of room (at a rough guess about 60 or 70 people in and around the pool), water not heated but perfectly warm enough, very few kids despite it being warm and sunny and after school (6.30pm) and only ?3.30.

If that can be recreated in Peckham then I'd use it. I do worry about numbers of people through the door though. Brockwell has a big old catchment area and it was a lovely day yesterday but not many folks in. I'm sure it's different on a hot day in the summer holidays, but how many of those do we have in our typical summer?

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I think a lot of people are put off by the fact

> that it's not heated though. It's the intention

> that the Peckham one will be.

Do you think that outdoor heated swimming will appeal to lots in the winter? I know for some it's a wonderful idea (me included) but for most?

Pond for model boats. Paddling at best.

See https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XYCIAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT154&lpg=PT154&dq="peckham+rye"+boating+pond&source=bl&ots=_EaLZm1C9M&sig=iAcbwFuKoveqZQKjJZZb5Ga8F1k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia0rXvvKLNAhUkIcAKHR9tDqIQ6AEIODAF#v=onepage&q="peckham rye" boating pond&f=false

If the link doesn't work: "Peckham and Nunhead Through Time" By John D. Beasley.

Also: THE BOAT POND, PECKHAM RYE, LONDON SE

Conspicuous for a swim!

• 4 weeks later...