Peckham Rye Lido

The original Lido was built in 1923..

Petitioners pointing out that the pool was never actually destroyed but just filled in

are kidding themselves if they believe all we need to do is dig it out and fill it with water.

The site is reportedly unstable due to the river Peck running beneath it.

I used it a few times in the 60's. It was never really busy back then.

The surrounding trees meant that the pool was always full of leaves twigs and insects.

With a splendid Lido 10 mins (bus) away at Brockwell Park an other Lido at the Peckham site could struggle to survive.

How many of the 'I would deffo use it ' brigade currently use the pool at Brockwell Park and how often..

Let us get realistic about this project..

DulwichFox

I get that there will be competition from indoor pools that are nearby at Peckham Pulse and the new(ish) leisure centre on CPR and that there is a lido in Brockwell, but I still think it could be a winner, especially if it can accommodate all the different kinds of swimmers with good lane discipline and early/late opening hours etc. If it were heated, all the better.

Things like pesky trees dropping their leaves in the water and general maintenance can be easily managed.

If the council is not paying for it - which is what I heard on BBC London radio the other day - then that means other services won't be badly affected.

>

> How many of the 'I would deffo use it ' brigade

> currently use the pool at Brockwell Park and how

> often..

>

> Let us get realistic about this project..

>

> DulwichFox

I think you'd be surprised. If it was heated, it would be a huge point of difference to Brockwell which is not. London Fields lido (as a useful comparison) is pretty busy all year round thanks to it being heated. Both Dulwich and Peckham Pulse pools are massively oversubscribed, and very often too busy to do any serious swimming in during lane sessions. I think an open air heated lido would be in demand throughout the year. Like it or not (cue discussion on gentrification) I think the changes to the surrounding area since the original lido was filled in make quite a significant difference.

It might be a long shot, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that ideas like this can genuinely get off the ground. I'd much rather support something like this - open to everyone in the community - than something like a pointless garden bridge across the Thames.

Southwark population is forecast to grow by another 10% over the next five years, many of whom will be housed in small flats without gardens etc; we'll need more ever more community facilities as a result.

If - as was mentioned above - Southwark didn't get involved, though I guess they would have to lease the land at least, then I could see the cost of using the facility being quite high as there wouldn't be any subsidy. I guess Southwark could insist on reduced prices as a condition of granting permission but that might make the proposition unattractive. In the end it all comes down to the business case.

I would absolutely love this lido to be rebuilt but I do feel sorry for the local residents. The demolition and excavation works required to remove the existing, severely damaged, structure will be awful (hundreds of lorries to remove the fill material before demolition starts), plus the construction itself will cause months of misery. Sadly, the demolition/construction is unlikely to leave many of the remaining trees untouched (I'm sure the roots will have grown into the damaged structure). The suggested construction cost doesn't seem anywhere near enough considering the proposals. (Sounds like an architect's 'budget' to me).

If this piece of land is part of The Common then I cannot see any Commercial Enterprise

gaining permission to develop the site.

Could Southwark Council afford to Develop.. Build ... Maintain ... Run such a project. I doubt it.

Took them 9 months to repair 50 yards of Pavement/Kerbstone adjacent to North Cross rd.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

--

>

> How many of the 'I would deffo use it ' brigade

> currently use the pool at Brockwell Park and how

> often..

>

> Let us get realistic about this project..

>

Didn't you say something similar about the ED cinema?

And about The Ivy House when it became a community owned pub?

Both of which appear to be thriving :)

AbDabs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would absolutely love this lido to be rebuilt

> but I do feel sorry for the local residents. The

> demolition and excavation works required to remove

> the existing, severely damaged, structure will be

> awful (hundreds of lorries to remove the fill

> material before demolition starts), plus the

> construction itself will cause months of misery.

> Sadly, the demolition/construction is unlikely to

> leave many of the remaining trees untouched (I'm

> sure the roots will have grown into the damaged

> structure). The suggested construction cost

> doesn't seem anywhere near enough considering the

> proposals. (Sounds like an architect's 'budget' to

> me).

Where it's situated there are not many local residents living close by as it's near the main junction. It will probably be the buses and vehicles diverted for a period.

The nearest building would be the nursery (formerly public toilets).

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --

> >

> > How many of the 'I would deffo use it '

> brigade

> > currently use the pool at Brockwell Park and

> how

> > often..

> >

> > Let us get realistic about this project..

> >

>

>

>

> Didn't you say something similar about the ED

> cinema?

>

> And about The Ivy House when it became a community

> owned pub?

>

> Both of which appear to be thriving :)

Not remotely related...

You can go to the Cinema ... Pub... whatever the weather Rain/Wind or Snow..

Some people go to the Pub every night.. And different people will go to the Cinema on various nights..

.. People are not going to an outdoor pool in the Rain . Winter. Heated or not. and wont be going every day.

Serious swimmers will go to the baths on Crystal Palace rd.

I don't think there is enough space to create a facility such as there is in Brockwell Park. And anyone wanting such facilities will go there.

There are many things that would be nice.. An Ice Rink.. Bowling Alley... But you cannot have everything..

Foxy

P.S.

Now I know you frequent The Ivy House but since you mentioned the E.D. Cinema, how many times have you been. ?

>

> .. People are not going to an outdoor pool in the

> Rain . Winter. Heated or not. and wont be going

> every day.

> Serious swimmers will go to the baths on Crystal

> Palace rd.

>

That's just not true. Have you been to a heated outdoor pool in the rain or snow. It's a glorious experience - genuinely. Why do you think so many Alpine spas have outdoor pools. I would stake that it would be very popular.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> P.S.

> Now I know you frequent The Ivy House but since

> you mentioned the E.D. Cinema, how many times have

> you been. ?

I haven't been, except to the cafe.

I rarely go to the cinema unless there is something on which I really want to see.

The last time I went to a movie was, in fact, at The Ivy House.

But if memory serves, I didn't post saying that nobody in East Dulwich would use the picture house?! Please feel free to prove me wrong if I did ?!

I'm unlikely to use a swimming pool either these days, outdoor OR indoor, but that doesn't mean I don't think an outdoor pool would be a great addition to the area and used by many other people :))

This is a great idea and I hope it comes to fruition.

I for one use the Rockwell & Charlton (heated) Lido's year round so this would be a fantastic addition to the area. Ok, you might only get the hard core swimmers throughout the winter, but for anyone that has been to Rockwell Lido in the summer months to witness the hour+ long queues, I'm sure you could see why this would be popular. With the addition of a gym/cafe etc. it should also work financially.

As an aside, Triathlon is still one of the fastest growing sports in the UK, so people like myself are crying out for 50m pools, indoors or out!

Best of luck! I will certainly be supporting.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Yes, I'm sure there would be a handful of hardcore

> year-round swimmers.

I used to work overlooking the Oasis outdoor pool in Holborn. It was used every day by numerous people, even with snow piled up around the edges.

Mugglesworth Wrote:

> I used to work overlooking the Oasis outdoor pool

> in Holborn. It was used every day by numerous

> people, even with snow piled up around the edges.

Yes, I've heard a few stories about that place!

"People are not going to an outdoor pool in the Rain . Winter. Heated or not. and wont be going every day.

Serious swimmers will go to the baths on Crystal Palace rd. "

Serious swimmers will most definitely NOT use the tiny, unclean, overcrowded baths on CPR....

"People are not going to an outdoor pool in the Rain . Winter. Heated or not."

I'm not a mad keen swimmer but some of the times I've enjoyed it most have been in the Alps in heated pools surrounded by snowbanks - there's something about being completely outdoors unencumbered by heavy clothing but still warm which is rather delightful - I'd actually be more likely to go and use it if there was rain or snow!

The Szechenyi Bath's (outdoor heated baths) in Budapest are very popular in the cold months. Admittedly they are very warm....If the lido pool heated well and not full of leaves it could be popular in the winter..

rendelharris Wrote:

> "People are not going to an outdoor pool in the

> Rain . Winter. Heated or not."

>

> I'm not a mad keen swimmer but some of the times

> I've enjoyed it most have been in the Alps in

> heated pools surrounded by snowbanks - there's

> something about being completely outdoors

> unencumbered by heavy clothing but still warm

> which is rather delightful - I'd actually be more

> likely to go and use it if there was rain or snow!

in the Alps in heated pools surrounded by snow banks

in Peckham in heated (or not) pool surrounded by Heavy Petrol / Diesel spewing traffic.

Yes.. I can definitely see the similarity

DulwichFox