Peckham Rye Lido

Hi all locals,

This project has just received a pledge of ?10,000 from Southwark council a few minutes ago. It is only a few thousand short of the target now, with 14 days to go. Come on people, dig deep and pledge what ever you can!

Imagine having this on our doorstep on a day like today!

TJ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all locals,

>

> This project has just received a pledge of ?10,000

> from Southwark council a few minutes ago. It is

> only a few thousand short of the target now, with

> 14 days to go. Come on people, dig deep and pledge

> what ever you can!

> Imagine having this on our doorstep on a day like

> today!

What am I missing.. What is the ?65k for.. You cannot build a swimming pool for ?65K.

and we already have a swimming pool at Brockwell Park..

and how many days like today do we get each year. 15 ? 20 ?

DulwichFox

Well I think the whole thing is ridiculous. The lido closed all those years ago for a reason, then a bunch of creative hipsters move into the area and want to reimagine a dead duck. As the fox rightly points out, the weather in this country is far too unpredictable to help support such a project, hence its demise in the first place. Waste of funds which could go towards something more worthy.

Louisa.

For the people asking what the money will be spent on - there's a level of detail on the funding page as follows:

Steps to get it done

Progress with our architects Studio Octopi to produce: drawings, updated visuals, and technical documentation

Commission landscape architects to prepare landscape concept design

Commission quantity surveyors to prepare a construction cost estimate

Hold a consultation to take on board ideas from locals, which we?ll feed into the architect?s design

Commission our planning consultants to formally submit for Pre-Application Planning Advice to Southwark Council

Produce a business plan, commercial strategy and fundraising tools to raise the ?5.5 million construction cost

Create a marketing and publicity campaign to attract attention for the pool

and also see the breakdown here.

Well, there is no legal reason why it should be - the question was asked about the Council's money, and that will go to the CIC because councils can't give money to non-constituted bodies. People, like me, who back crowdfund and spacehive projects like this do so knowing there is a risk - if they were solid gold copper bottomed money making machines the banks would fund them. These are projects designed by and for people to provide a service or commodity not make huge amounts of money.

edhistory Wrote:

> That does not answer the question about which

> "legal person" will get the Southwark Council

> money.

edhistory Wrote:

> Does anyone know which "constituted body" got the

> public money for the Coal Line project?

Why not get in touch with them via twitter if you have genuine concerns?

Congratulations on reaching your target. Well done.

Jeremy - I think you know as well as I do that it's best just to ignore John K's attempts to infer some kind of corrupt embezzling of public funds until he can present some hard evidence at which point he'd be better off ringing the fraud squad.

Great news the target reached. Well done them.

Hi Louisa,

Yes the original Peckham Lido did close all those years ago. Probably the same council officers that while Lib Dems led the council kept telling us every year to close Camberwell Library and Leisure centre to save money.

Brockwell Lido is popular and fun and really trying to serve it local community and I'm sure a Peckham Lido would do the same very successfully.

For transparency I'm fortunate enough to make a small contribution to this funding raising for the full feasibility, planning permission, etc.

Ha! Just had a quick scrawl through the thread and I see it's the usual suspects dissing the Lido project. Miserable boring old farts that they are. What sad lives they must lead. Personally, I'm all for it. I think it'll be a wonderful addition to the area for people of all ages to enjoy.

Pool Temperature..

If you?re looking for a perfect pool temperature, not too hot, not too cold, 77 ? 82 degrees (25 ? 28?C)

Can anyone here give any idea what it costs to maintain a full size outdoor swimming pool throughout the year.

In this part of the UK.

As I understand it the Lido at Brockwell Park is NOT heated. Might br wrong but info from regular swimmer there.

DulwichFox.

This is such a brilliant idea.

Some of us don't like heated pools or swimming inside. I don't think this is a 'hipster' thing Louisa/ Foxy, I'm over 50, not a 'hipster' whatever that means....and have lived at least half of that in ED. Brockwell is great, but it's not my local. The thought of being able to walk 10 mins to an outside pool is inspiring.

My younger friends who train for triathlon would use the lido all year round and the people who swim in the Serpentine all year round are a real mix of ages, ability, cultures (and 'class' if we have to bring such a thing into this). I really hope this happens - it will be good for everyone in this area. Come on get behind a great idea, swimming is a perfect way of keeping fit and healthy - money well spent I think.

I think it's an amazing idea, and would be an amazing location. I am a regular user of Crystal Palace which I think is a great facility, but it's opening hours make it very difficult to get there for daily sessions if you work mon-fri and need to commute to town.

I'd use it.

I'm all for it. Once I relearn how to swim, I'll be in it a lot cos my knees are not enjoying running so much anymore. Brockwell Lido looks fine, yes it's close as well; but honestly I've seen the queue and always been put off (happy to be told it doesn't take long to get in etc).