> > How local d'you want ? Brockwell Lido is 2

> miles

> > from corner of Peckham Rye.

>

> Ed_pete, what a silly comment, as Peckham lido

> will be 2 minutes walk, thus reducing the need for

> me to pollute the atmosphere by driving or getting

> a bus to brockwell lido.

I guess my point is if you "seriously" want to swim in a Lido then 2 miles is hardly much distance-wise, even in London.

Besides, if you got a bike then it would only take 10 minutes and you'd not generate any fumes. It's funny how relative "local" is.

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't see this happening. Until a definite

> route is selected for the Bakerloo line extension

> is formailzed (right now Old Kent Roaad is

> preferred but not selected), nothing will happen

> there. I believe from threads on the tube line

> extension that it would run to that spot.

That bit of the park feels a bit odd - even

if no Lido it needs something there.

I think it would be a great idea. Yes herne hill is not too far away but it is very busy when its decent weather. The 25m indoor pools are no competition for an outdoor Lido. Would be a great asset to the area, and I believe it would be well utilised.

LondonMix Wrote:

> I can't see this happening. Until a definite

> route is selected for the Bakerloo line extension

> is formailzed (right now Old Kent Roaad is

> preferred but not selected), nothing will happen

> there. I believe from threads on the tube line

> extension that it would run to that spot.

I believe the suggestion of extending the Bakerloo line to Elephant and Castle and then onto Hayes via a new station on Peckham Rye Common has fallen by the wayside, certainly the alternatives that were consulted on in 2014 were an extension to New Cross via either Camberwell and then on to Peckham, or via the Old Kent Road.

The odds on there ever being a tube station on Peckham Rye Common are very long and would meet with opposition (as well as support), even I would join a Save Peckham Woods campaign.

The odds on a new renovated Lido being built are much shorter and it's a wonderful idea. Here's hoping.

Not sure the site is big enough for the amphitheatre, Restaurant, gym, dance studio etc. from I remember, but it would be nice to have an open air pool.

Also, as someone mentioned, it's a bit too near to the busy junction.

Nunheadbelle

early_doors Wrote:

>

> A 50 meter heated Olympic standard poolOutdoor

> cinema with amphitheatre seatingRoof-top

> sunbathing areasRestaurantGymYoga/dance

> studioFunction room for hireWild-swimming ? phase

> two will bring a separate natural pool, tapping

> into the buried River Peck that flows beneath

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> " The money would be used to develop plans and

> apply to Lambeth council for planning permission."

>

Well, who'd pay good money for a hole in the ground*?

*Disclaimer: This is not intended to annoy, alarm or distress anyone who is, was or has ever been annoyed, alarmed or distressed by those who claim to believe a decent religious/humanist burial is an assault on the planet in a way that comfortable homes and dropped-kerb driveways somehow aren't.

Love the idea, but that section of the park is now essentially a piece of grass between a junction.

Has a site survey been carried out? It's an open piece of land surrounded by busy roads ..... Really want this to work yet seems unrealistic?

(Which reminds me - whatever happened to the coal line project?)

I think it will work but wouldn't be too surprised if the original plans (re size/scope) have to change somewhat. Even if that were the case I think it would be a great addition and I'd support it in spirit and in cash.

As for the Coal Line, it managed to get its crowdsourcing funds and is, ahead, now full steam ahead: https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/regeneration/funding-opportunities/crowdfunding-pilot-programme/peckham-coal-line-urban

I am loving all the nay and doom Sayers on this post.

The area where the old pool was is very large and I am sure that the plans have taken into account what is available for all of the facilities mentioned.

Yes it is a busy road, but let's look at where brockwell lido is, that's also on a busy road, with a busy junction nearby. I am sure the road and junction will be addressed in the plans once the project moves forward.

Rather than being negative about projects like this, people should be grateful that exciting projects are being planned for an area that has been so neglected for so many years.

Absolutely love the idea of another lido in the area!! I swim in Brockwell Lido every day, starting when the temperature reaches 12C which is usually sometime in April. Big difference will be that the Peckham lido would be heated and people can swim outdoors the whole year around. The outdoor swimming season at the Brockwell lido is for most people really short as not many people fancy swimming in water less than 19C (which still feels cold as an indoor pool is usually around 28C). I believe it would be very popular; outdoor swimming is absolutely wonderful!

Resurrect Peckham Lido! I swam in it regularly right up to the legendary storm of October 1987 - which caused surrounding trees to fall into the pool. It suffered irreparable damage and never re-opened.

You don't need parking. Everyone used to walk there anyway and there are still enough trees to form a protective leafy and woody barrier from the surrounding traffic which has not noticeably increased that much since then - unless I am completely mistaken.