Trains cancellations - latest

Claire Perry seems to be saying the bad service is ok as long as the government get paid through fines, a terrible attitude.

Over the last year overcrowding at London Bridge has become worryingly dangerous, if Southern are not careful their changes could result in more people stuck at the station and a serious crush happening.

I'm really annoyed with the tone of the response to the petition. I agree that changing the name above the door wouldn't necessarily help. But she's basically telling us to suck it up and it will get better in 2018. It's also badly written, with mistakes in it and acronyms which mean nothing to me.

Just read the response,a 5 year old could have replied better

How many times did they want to mention "decades of underinvestment" and challenging infrastructure? Basically it's not their fault and stop moaning, think our transport secretary needs to spend a week trying to get into work using their trains - it might chsnge her tone,

It's an absolute shocker. Direct trains to London Bridge on Monday go at 6.55, 7.30, 8.30 and 9.30.

The only other options in between involve changes at Tulse Hill or Peckham Rye to Elephant and Castle and then according to the published timetable "Make your way from Elephant & Castle to London Bridge".

So let's get this straight. Here we have a woefully underperforming rail franchise with appalling customer satisfaction, frequent delays and cancellations, and longstanding known issues with hiring and retaining enough staff to properly run their daily services.

They seem to be cutting up to 3/4 of peak time services between ED and London, bizarrely justified by strikes on other parts of their network.

In response to 14k people signing an official government petition we get a response from the transport committee which looks very much like it was drafted by Govia's own PR team. Meanwhile the government keeps pumping enough subsidies into the company to let them increase profits year after year.

What exactly are our options here? Do we need to start waving placards outside Govia head office or something?

It needs more radical action that signing petitions. A demonstration may attract some media attention, but I'm still not sure what it would ultimately achieve. Some kind of sit-in/blockade?

On a more practical level... someone could arrange a taxi pool?

Helen Hayes has written a letter to Claire Perry which I hope will have some impact

http://www.helenhayes.org.uk/southern_railway_emergency_timetable

As for hitting profits is it possible to get a refund on monthly season tickets? I may do this and walk / cycle until the timetable is reinstated if so. Otherwise, southern have suggested delay repay can be claimed against the normal timetable so if every commuter claims for every journey that will cost them...

On which point, I'm guessing they've picked on South London because our fares are the lowest in their network and the cheapest to reimburse / compensate thus protecting their revenues from more lucrative stations further afield?

Abe_froeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On which point, I'm guessing they've picked on

> South London because our fares are the lowest in

> their network and the cheapest to reimburse /

> compensate thus protecting their revenues from

> more lucrative stations further afield?

Partly that. Objectively, you could say that we have other options (combinations of bus/walk/tube/overground/thameslink), so lower priority than suburbs where you literally have no other option. Not that this is a valid excuse of course.

Some Southern users took out a full-page advert in The Times

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/commuters-group-takes-out-newspaper-11575925

I can see that we have more options (short walk/bus journey to Denmark Hill/Herne Hill/Peckham Rye depending on where in ED you live), along with the 40 bus; but those options are already at capacity and are unlikely to cope well with next week's cancellations.

Lowlander Wrote:

> I can see that we have more options (short

> walk/bus journey to Denmark Hill/Herne

> Hill/Peckham Rye depending on where in ED you

> live), along with the 40 bus; but those options

> are already at capacity and are unlikely to cope

> well with next week's cancellations.

Yep, I'm not saying that the alternatives are OK... just suggesting that perhaps that's why Govia chose to hit metro routes disproportionately.

I would be very interested in some kind of stand-in, sit-down or protest right in the face of the service reps to highlight this BS situation.

I think it's a case of shouting loud enough collectively.

This is worse than the service 25yrs ago.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> It's an absolute shocker. Direct trains to London

> Bridge on Monday go at 6.55, 7.30, 8.30 and 9.30.

>

And what if one of those was cancelled? I took the bus to LB this morning as two consecutive trains were cancelled. I can see myself doing that regularly.

Given the reduction in services does anyone know if the cost in a monthly ticket will be reduced accordingly? Mine has just run out.