danielson00 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You have to claim delay repay from Southern if its

> from ED.

>

> Considering for an half hour (up to an hour) delay

> they pay 25% of the ticket price, which is around

> ?3 on Oyster is it worth it?

Financially not so much (though for people on low incomes and/or who face day after day of delays it might be), but if train companies begin to lose out significantly through mass claims for refunds they might consider sorting themselves out. Complaints can (and will) be ignored, if they have to stump up some cash...

Jeremy Wrote:

> Luckily at PR we have other options (Overground,

> City Thameslink).

And, fortunately for those at the ED end, it's only a short hop on the bus to D. Hill for the overground and Thameslink services, though the latter service has proved unreliable for me on many a morning of late. Bah.

For the last year, Southern is nothing more than a brand of GTR (Govia Thameslink Railway) who operate the Thameslink, Great Northern, Gatwick Express and Southern brands.

So you have this large franchise running trains from King's Lynn to Brighton who are trying to streamline everything from ticket offices to counductors on trains to maintain profits for their shareholders.

Fortunately this franchise is only until 2021, when it's very likely the Metro services from PR/ED/ND will be handed over to TfL, leaving the profitable services out of London to the private sector.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> For the last year, Southern is nothing more than a

> brand of GTR (Govia Thameslink Railway) who

> operate the Thameslink, Great Northern, Gatwick

> Express and Southern brands.

>

> So you have this large franchise running trains

> from King's Lynn to Brighton who are trying to

> streamline everything from ticket offices to

> counductors on trains to maintain profits for

> their shareholders.

>

> Fortunately this franchise is only until 2021,

> when it's very likely the Metro services from

> PR/ED/ND will be handed over to TfL, leaving the

> profitable services out of London to the private

> sector.

2021 is ages away :-(

Its a joke, I arrived at dead on 08:10 today and did not see the train leave so assume that was cancelled, the 08:20 and 08:30 were definitely cancelled. Coming back this evening the 20:10, 20:25 and 20:40 we all cancelled, it is getting to the point there is one train an hour now, its an absolute disgrace.

AD Wrote:

> Its a joke, I arrived at dead on 08:10 today and

> did not see the train leave so assume that was

> cancelled, the 08:20 and 08:30 were definitely

> cancelled. Coming back this evening the 20:10,

> 20:25 and 20:40 we all cancelled, it is getting to

> the point there is one train an hour now, its an

> absolute disgrace.

Err, the 2025 did run? http://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Service?ServiceId=28407150

0018 and 0033 last night (ie last trains!), delayed and then re-routed via Forest Hill last night so basically cancelled to ED! Lots of people (like myself) who had obvioulsy had a few shandys, stranded! Good old Southern!

Luckily Uber was only ?13!

The reason for these early morning cancellations and re-routing Danielson was because a train had broken down on the track between South Bermondsey and Queen's road. So Eders went to Forest Hill and fortunately there is a 176 night bus.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to be getting worse and worse. Of the 5 trains I've caught this week only 1 has been on time, 3 were cancelled and another was delayed.

There does seem to be the possibility that management are preventing overtime and shift swaps which is causing the recent spike in cancellations. I really hope it ends soon. Bring on the TFL overground already!

doogsey Wrote:

> There does seem to be the possibility that

> management are preventing overtime and shift swaps

> which is causing the recent spike in

> cancellations. I really hope it ends soon. Bring

> on the TFL overground already!

Agreed, Southern management sent out a memo banning shift swaps and overtime: http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2016/06/15/is-this-the-document-that-proves-southern-banned-overtime/

Seems worse than ever right now. Ran to catch the 22:25 last night which was on the platform, all set to go on the train, engine running on the platform. At about 26 minutes past the train was cancelled due to a staff shortage... Not just incompetent management of their staff but total disregard for their passengers that they do this kind of thing with no notice, giving no opportunity to adjust travel plans. 8:30 train this morning also cancelled.

Whatever your views on the strike action/rail unions let's not forget Southern are run by a private company and heavily subsidised by the government. It's their responsibility to have adequate staffing levels and manage their labour relations while providing a good service for rail passengers. At the moment they seem to be failing on all three counts, they're just hoovering up subsidies and paying themselves healthy profits.

I was FUMING with the trains last night at 23.00 at LB. As I approached the board I saw cancelled...delayed...expected xxx....cancelled...cancelled...delayed... This was across the board, not just one particular line. My train (due 23.10) said delayed, so I hung about only to discover some 15 mins. later that it was cancelled. I should have trusted my instincts and taken the bus. Next train was @ 23.34. Fuming I tell you...fekkin fuming I was!

Next to the train times was another notice about "industrial action on the 21st" and I thought: what's the feckin difference!?

Ahem...I needed to get that off my chest... :-$ Thank you, EDF.