The old Waitrose nugget is back to haunt us!

Louisa

I accidentally walked to Sydenham the other day, and it really did have some very beautiful houses.

And I was impressed that Blue Mountain had an outpost there. But one cup of coffee is not enough to make me move there.

(oh, and thanks Mick , you're a honey)

SS / Darcy,

Dear God is there something in the water in Sydenham (I cannot bring myself to say "Sydders" because I'm actually a grown up) that makes your posts so uber smug? You both seem hell bent on letting us know that you're very middle class and live in a neighbourhood that has some nice posh houses. Good for you but what's your point? After you've done with "my house is nicer than your house" what's next? "My dad's bigger than your dad"?

It's apparent that the grandeur of some of your locality is impressing the pants of you, which is fine (I suppose) if those are your values, but what are you doing slumming it in our neck of the woods? Shall we fall to our knees and touch the hem of your garments as you pass?

Incidentally, one of my closest friends has a very large very beautiful house in Sydenham and I spend most Christmases and Easters in it. It?s probably one of the houses you?re referring to. It?s a beautiful house in a street of beautiful houses. So now I?ve told you that my friend lives in a big posh house. What point did that serve? Or has it impressed you? Please God can someone tell me there?s a point to this thread?

Oh, and this from Darcy:

ED, which always seems like a real mix to me, with council flats, people who can/want to make an effort with their house and those who can't/don't.

I?m going to shout now because I?m making an actual point:

YES ED IS A REAL MIX. I LOVE THAT. BRING IT ON. IT?S WHY SOME OF US CHOOSE TO LIVE HERE.

Pxx

1) Hooray for people who love where they live and are happy there

2) Boo for people who express that love by dissing where other people live

We looked at houses in Sydenham when we were moving, and it does indeed (like Forest Hill) have gorgeous houses and streets. I'm sure it's lovely and I was only teasing about the spelling there.

I'm very happy in Peckham. But I don't feel much urge to big Peckham up on the East Dulwich Forum specifically in relation to ED being inferior for whatever reason 'cos.. well, what would be the point?

Wow, I have got you lot going haven't I? Ha, Ha, Ha.....It feels almost tribal, absolutely ridiculous!!!

In case the rest of you are wondering, this is what I originally replied to in the first post, which was someone commenting on the Waitrose thread on SE26 Forum: "whilst those working-class fried chicken munchers over the hill will be popping to the local Waitrose to snack on a pot of organic houmous!"

I'm afraid such an inaccurate comment had to be responded to with a reality check, could not resist....

Ewwww...

"Sydders"

Mind you once you cross the bridge it starts to slip

*points down the hill*

I live in Sydenham, well Upper Sydenham actually but really more like Dulwich borders

Oh, did I mention I have an uninterupted view of 18 acres of Victorian Parkland, no ?

No, well I have an uninterupted view of 18 acres of Victorian Parkland

It's Perfect having I have an uninterupted view of 18 acres of Victorian Parkland when I'm Reading "The National Enquirer" and sitting on my reclaimed bog

Indeed, darcy we must meet up

Do you buy your drugs at your "endz"

W**F

We've got plenty to be smug about.

'Sydders' - a term that seems to be gathering pace/loyalty/buy-in was originally meant to be somewhat ironic. Think Totters for Totteridge, Putters for Putney etc. Twickers etc - you get it?

Ideas well above our station! But I like it and I see it with increasing regularity over on STF. It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek about the ghastly High St we have. We have a very long way to go to compete with ED in this regard [High St ambience] and we're light years away from other more celebrated postcodes! But we're getting there; about as slowly as British Rail did!

I think we're acutely aware of how dire the first impressions of Sydders are when you travel through the High St but if nothing else at least some opinions might be being changed as to what the overall area is like. Very, very posh in large parts and as rough as Catford/Peckham in others. There's not much in the way of middle-ground.

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> SS / Darcy,

>

> Dear God is there something in the water in

> Sydenham (I cannot bring myself to say "Sydders"

> because I'm actually a grown up) that makes your

> posts so uber smug? You both seem hell bent on

> letting us know that you're very middle class and

> live in a neighbourhood that has some nice posh

> houses. Good for you but what's your point?

> After you've done with "my house is nicer than

> your house" what's next? "My dad's bigger than

> your dad"?

>

> It's apparent that the grandeur of some of your

> locality is impressing the pants of you, which is

> fine (I suppose) if those are your values, but

> what are you doing slumming it in our neck of the

> woods? Shall we fall to our knees and touch the

> hem of your garments as you pass?

>

> Incidentally, one of my closest friends has a very

> large very beautiful house in Sydenham and I spend

> most Christmases and Easters in it. It?s probably

> one of the houses you?re referring to. It?s a

> beautiful house in a street of beautiful houses.

> So now I?ve told you that my friend lives in a big

> posh house. What point did that serve? Or has it

> impressed you? Please God can someone tell me

> there?s a point to this thread?

>

> Oh, and this from Darcy:

>

> ED, which always seems like a real mix to me, with

> council flats, people who can/want to make an

> effort with their house and those who

> can't/don't.

>

> I?m going to shout now because I?m making an

> actual point:

>

> YES ED IS A REAL MIX. I LOVE THAT. BRING IT ON.

> IT?S WHY SOME OF US CHOOSE TO LIVE HERE.

>

> Pxx

GG, why do I think that double x means something entirely different to kisses? It's the code isn't it?

What utter poppycock John K!

Sydders has been by turns partly in Kent and Surrey. I assure you that even in dates that precede the all-pervasive postcode nobody from Sydders would have been envious of East (or should that be Lesser?) Dulwich. As previous, Sydders was and will be again posh.

Lesser Dulwich was and remains the area that the skivvies who work in service in posh Dulwich Village and Sydenham Hill live. Whether you like it or not. Postcode envy 'Jah Lush'? Nobody is envious of Lesser Dulwich; not even those who reside in Pong! Or even those wretched souls in Upper Norwood (Crystal Palace).

West Dulwich is another matter! Or should that be called Dulwich Village?

Them's the facts chap/ess. Live with it.

Dismissed.

FFS SalubriousSydersin I wasn't being serious but you've obviously taken it to another level with your snobbish petite bourgeois attitude. So you live in Sydenham... You like there and you think it's better than ED. Jeez! Big deal. Move on now please. It's irritating and filling me with inertia.

SS, whereas on the TV Hyacinth Bucket may be mildly amusing, in real life it's not funny at all; it is just very very sad and pathetic. I don't think anyone is laughing with you. Instead I just think there's a shaking of heads because you're getting all worked up about who lives in the nicest house. I think you'll find that aside from you and Darcy, not many of us down here in the slums give a flying fuck.