The old Waitrose nugget is back to haunt us!

Louisa

Fine Fare

It wins hands down for me...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Supermarket_in_Thirsk_Market_Place_-_geograph.org.uk_-_27885.jpg

Now I'd like on of those in my back garden, actually I'd support a petition to bulldoze Wells Park to get one in

* sighs & starts laugh crying *

* tears up photo of "mother" again *

W**F

Actually, while the demographics are really important, you could have 100% ABC1s but if there's no suitable site available at a reasonable price, you won't be getting a Waitrose. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with ED's demographics... just with the properties available. It's not just the size/shape that it's important but the access for delivery trucks, customer parking etc.

Since I live near the Horniman, I'll take one in either or both. Since I work for John Lewis, I get a discount at Waitrose that doesn't extend as far as Ocado (although I'll still use them rather than use the dire Forest Hill Sainsburys) ;-)

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't believe anyone actually gives a toss to

> the extent of this thread. I'd always thought the

> Waitrose thing was a forum standing in joke..

------------------------------------------------------

IT.....

..was but there's serious people on "the forum" these dayz

AND this is now a serious subject now ( that's "now" twice, now )

So, watch y'gonna do about it...

* cracks knuckles, winces *

W**F

Lousia, er, do fried chicken munchers like to:

1. visit a month-long classical music festival featuring (practically all of them) some of the best musicians in the country (many of whom actually live in Sydders)? At Sydenham International Music Festival, in case you haven't heard of it?

2. Visit over 25 resident artists' houses as part of the Sydenham Arts Festival and attend a multitude of literary and cultural events over a two/three-month period?

3. Live in houses worth ?500,000 plus on the Thorpe Estate, or ?1.5million plus Cator Road, to mention just a few?

Visitors from Sydenham Town Forum, who are taking Louisa far too seriously, and who really love "sydders" (WTF?!?) a bit more than a person should love an area. That said, there are a few of those in ED too.

And to think people wrote this thread off very early. Good effort Louisa, took a bit of time to mature, but it got there in the end :)-D

In just my road there are at least six classical musicians, four designers, a programme-maker at the BBC, an ex-BBC world service journalist, a solicitor, a retired accountant....and this is in one of the more modest roads....

Would none of these people eat fried chicken then?

darcy Wrote:

> Lousia, er, do fried chicken munchers like to:

> 1. visit a month-long classical music festival

> featuring (practically all of them) some of the

> best musicians in the country (many of whom

> actually live in Sydders)? At Sydenham

> International Music Festival, in case you haven't

> heard of it?

> 2. Visit over 25 resident artists' houses as part

> of the Sydenham Arts Festival and attend a

> multitude of literary and cultural events over a

> two/three-month period?

> 3. Live in houses worth ?500,000 plus on the

> Thorpe Estate, or ?1.5million plus Cator Road, to

> mention just a few?

> 4. In just my road there are at least six

> classical musicians, four designers, a

> programme-maker at the BBC, an ex-BBC world

> service journalist, a solicitor, a retired

> accountant....and this is in one of the more

> modest roads....

Darcy - I don't understand your post. To be fair, most of the thread is leaving me at a loss, but please tell me what point you are making. As I read it, you seem to be saying "hey, look at me guys - I'm middle class". Is that your point?

darcy Wrote:

> 3. Live in houses worth ?500,000 plus on the

> Thorpe Estate...

Oh my god, darcy, you own, like, a whole tower block...? Bet the lifts still smell of wee though.

I think you are showing your complete lack of knowledge of Sydenham Rosie H. The Thorpe Estate is a network of roads with beautiful Edwardian houses. I think you would struggle to find something like it in ED, which always seems like a real mix to me, with council flats, people who can/want to make an effort with their house and those who can't/don't. It's certainly not some middle class oasis.

All I am saying is don't underestimate Sydenham, there is more to it than meets the eye and community spirit is one of them. Which counts for a lot when you live somewhere long-term.

It's not a competition and there are many people over here who couldn't think of anything worse than having to deal with the smugness of ED. Let's face it there are a lot of people paying inflated prices for tiny flats over there, then having kids and thinking "oh shit it's not that great afterall".

darcy Wrote:

> I think you are showing your complete lack of

> knowledge of Sydenham Rosie H.

No Darcy, it's called sarcasm, you possibly don't have room for that in Sydenham what with all the piles of cash and everything.

You know what though, for all the piles of lucre, where's the class? Don't you know it's terribly arriviste to talk about money? Suggests it's a novelty you haven't got used to yet.

For any Sydders bounders who might be loitering in the vicinity it's perfectly obvious to me what happened.

Mick M is a huge fan of 80s pop and routinely ends his posts with random names of groups from the period.

On this occasion he went to throw in T'Pau but accidently hit the 'k' instead of the 't'.

Any easy miskate to make.

So all is fine here in ED, morale has never been higher.

Your morale is fragile... Like china in your hand!

I've said several times that Sydenham has some lovely housing, the likes of which you won't find in Dulwich. This is because it was once rather grand (about 100 years ago), whilst ED was a place for the plebs.

These days, most of those lovely big houses, are divided in to flats. In some areas, Sydenham residents look longingly at Dulwich (although they'd never admit it). When I first came across the Sydenham forum, it was a thread called something like "Middle class pub", in which several posters complained that they didn't have somewhere nice to go in their lovely area, unlike down in ED.

On the other hand, there arew things about Sydenham that are great. I always say I am happy where I am, as I have all the good stuff about ED a 10 minute journey away, but I really like the feel of where I live.

ED, which always seems like a real mix to me, with council flats, people who can/want to make an effort with their house and those who can't/don't.

You've just described ED, Sydenham, Forest Hill, Brockley, Camberwell, Honor Oak, Lee, Greenwich, Blackheath... so on, and so on.

I've kept my powder dry a little here.

Did any of you take The Times last Friday? Page 6 of bricks & Mortar; 'Southeast London's boom street'.

Yep, good old Sydders. I'll cut&paste a little extract*. As for the Middle Class Pub thread Keef that was shall we say 'lively' (pre The Dolphin days I hasten to add) and was even referenced in a Time Out article for it's 'peevish tone' - Time Out did a focus on Sydders and it was mostly complimentary. Bar the High St which they, along with Susan Emmett from The Times thought made Sydders 'unlovely'. OUCH, but fair comment.

* Large double-fronted Victorian villas, the sort that that are often left to crumble in less affluent neighbourhoods, have been selling for sums of up to ?1.6M since the start of the year...there are other signs of gentrification...

I suggest you read it in it's entirety. Surprisingly though I think some of the streets in and around Sydenham Hill are our best. Some of those properties/streets are large family homes with jaw-dropping views and prices to match! Cator Road (the subject of the article) is a treasure though.