> Alan Dale Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Jah Lush Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> > > Fisher are originally a Bermondsey club.

> > Dulwich

> > > Hamlet is a Dulwich club, you live in Dulwich

> > > don't you, s'obvious innit.

> >

> > The ground is actually in SE5. That's

> Camberwell.

>

> Sorry to be a pedant, but the postcode for the

> ground is SE22 8BD, so that makes it an East

> Dulwich club in my book.

>

A map of the postcode boundaries clearly shows that the ground is in SE5. I'm sure the letter box is close to SE22 though.

I think the name makes it a Dulwich club.

With current trends though I imagine they'll rebrand as East Dulwich Hamlet in order to drum up custom..

I'll try and dig out a historical match programme done by a local enthusiast. very interesting reading.

It seems prior to 1914 there was a healthy number of teams in the area, including an east dulwich one a west dulwich one etc.

Hamlets have been thereabouts for over a century.

By 1918 there was one left, the rest of them having been gunned down in muddy fields. Sad really.

There is a war memorial inside the entrance on the left as you go in to the main stand/ bar. Don't know where it was before but assume it's what you're referring to. Last year there was a ceremony to correct a mis-spelling of one of those on the tablet which was a nice touch.

Hadn't heard of a West Dulwich club, but a few years ago I was amazed to pick up a book in Sportspages on Charing X Road devoted to a history of Nunhead Football Club, who joined the the Isthmian League at the same time as Hamlet (understandably becoming local rivals). Apparently they played round the back of Ivydale road (Linden Grove End) but folded in 1949.

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed 'our' goal and there was a bit of tension towards the end. The standard was about what I expected. Very physical and not much passing. I think our no. 6 is very good -smaller skinhead guy at the back. Read the game well.

I though it was funny that we have a hardcore of fans who stand behind the goal at the far end and wear kits and the like.

I'll go again but it's not to appreciate beautiful football. I'm not really a purist in that respect.

Is the AFC Wimbledon game likely to be busier perhaps? Next match is a week on Tuesday. I reckon I'll be there..

Yes, usually get a good crowd (outnumbered by away fans though) for the AFC game.

To be fair to the Hamlets, the standards never great, but it's generally a lot better than that. They've had a complete turn around of squad players AND backroom staff this summer, so the new chaps haven't found their footing, and aren't playing the hamlets way, which is to at least attempt the passing game.

It may normally lack the first touch and finesse of ..errr.. the conference, but I'm hoping for much better than that in future.

But yes, seeds of promise I reckon.

yes, too much hoofing the ball. Get the ball, hoof it up the pitch. Here comes an opposing player, hoof it up the pitch. Pass it to me, I'll hoof it up the pitch. Saying that I thought the number 11 had a good couple of good runs down the wing and showed the most potential.

I also thought the new manager was rather quiet, I don't think I heard him shout or instruct the players at all which is what they needed, perhaps even if it was just to say "don't hoof the ball".

If anyone fancies going to a game but are usure what to expect, there's a good post here http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1782,1798#msg-1798 from last season by Huguenot. The star striker mentioned Chris Dickson was soon after signed by Charlton and is now netting the goals for Gillingham.

[edited once]

Yeh that numba 11 winger was fast!! and had some good runs!! and the captain/striker was a bit good as well-apparantly he has over 40 caps for guyana-little stat i learnt!!

was my first visit too-was ok! might go every now and then! if only as just an excuse for a burger and beer!!

i reckon the attendance could be a bit better-how many ED'ers even know about the mighty DHFC!!?

I haven't been to watch Dulwich Hamlet since I was a kid in the 60s when they were thrashed four-nil at home by Sutton United. At the time they shared the ground with Corinthian Casuals. Must go again soon. When is the next home game? Anyone got a fixture list they could post?

The Dulwich Hamlet Supporters' Trust has started placing adverts with forthcoming fixtures for that month (and writing some blurb) in the SE22 magazine for those of you who receive that. This is to try to raise the profile of the club locally - especially amongst newer arrivals to the area. Any other (cheap) and practical suggestions to achieve this aim would be welcome.

As well as the official club website mentioned in the previous post there is a message board/ forum where supporters swap views and any fixture changes (which can happen quite a bit, especially at this time of the season) are posted.

Hopefully this link will work.

http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=7

This list of the next few week's fixtures is a direct lift from a recent post on there:

Saturday 10 November Whitstable Town, away (league)

Tuesday 13 November Walton & Hersham, away (league)

Saturday 17 November Croydon Athletic, home (league)

Tuesday 20 November Corinthian-Casuals home (league)

Saturday 24 November Chipstead, away (league)

Tuesday 27 November Godalming Town, away (Surrey Senior Cup)

Saturday 1 December Leatherhead, away (league)

Tuesday 4 December Eastbourne Town, home (league)

Saturday 8 December Ashford Town, home (league)

Tuesday 11 December Wimbledon, home (London Senior Cup)

DHFC could raise its profile amongst ED'ers By:

Inviting David Beckham to train/play with us whilst MLS is in its close season,

Build a stadium visible from dog kennell hill!

Take Peter Crouch on loan (again) on a promise of first team football!

Bring Cheerleaders to non league football!

Mark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Eddie M

>

> I'd suggest posting the details of imminent home

> games in the what's on section of this forum.

> Thanks for that listing of games by the way, let's

> see if we can get a good turnout on the 17th.

Thanks Mark - Good suggestion which I'll start doing.

2-0 away win today by the way so perhaps things are picking up.

Just in case people don't pick it up on the 'What's on' board, the game scheduled on Tuesday night (20th November) has been postponed at short notice because their opponents are playing a cup game instead. The next home game is therefore now Tuesday 4th December.

On a separate note the attendance at yesterday's impressive 5-2 victory was significantly up on the norm for such a game, so perhaps posting the fixtures on this site as suggested by Mark (plus advertising in SE22 magazine) is having a bit of an impact. The football's beginning to really click now too.

However, to use the old cliche, the best advertising is by word of mouth, so put the word round to see if we can build om this. Thanks. Eddie