House Removal Nightmare

JoGoJo

I have just moved house from East Dulwich and wanted to share with readers my experience of a local house removal company. You may or may not know but there are many such companies in the E Dulwich area and so we took some time to trawl the list to try to pick A. A good price & B. A trust worthy and credible company. We failed. The company we chose offered us a price including 10 free boxes only to dramatically increase this price on the day of the move - at our most vulnerable moment! On the tense and scary day of the move all seemed to be going well; they arrived on time and worked very hard filling the van to about 3 quarters full at which point we noticed a list being used to check off items. When asked they explained that they could only take items on the list and began to huff and puff about the weight, health & safety and legal limits. At no point were we asked to produce a definitive list of all items + number of boxes and were given the strong impression that the tentative item list was to gauge the size of the vehicle. The guys began to put to one side all items not on the list and said they would need to call the office for a new price. We had many discussions both cordial and heated with the workers and owner but in the end had to pay ?230 more than quoted so they would agree to take the extra items which they argued were a health & safety risk, this also included a price for the 10 FREE boxes. We feel we were well and truly scammed by Ace Removals. Anyone else out there had the same experience? Jo

We moved down from Walthamstow so used a company local to there, but made sure the firm we used was BAR registered, and a guy came to do an estimate for us - having a quick look round to check how much stuff there was and left us loads of boxes/bubble wrap and tape - they were fab and far less hassle than the estate agent this end we were dealing with!!

jogojo - this is rotten. youre vulnerable and stressed and not up to arguing and some nasty sort screws you. aprt from the 'elf and safety' the other favourite is 'nine eleven, mate'. in the clear light of day of course you realise that someone who needs notice to remember his own name is unlikely to know their way around complex statutory leg. the answer - and i'm not smirking - is get it in writing, agree a cash final payment, stand your ground, and think hyacinth bouquet. and have less stuff!

Ultraconsultancy

Unfortunately being BAR registered doesn't always afford much protection. I lost a ?200 deposit on a BAR registered Co. that went tits up. Its assets and business were immediately bought by another BAR registered Co. but they refused to offset the deposit against their quote. Spoke to BAR and they were useless. Best bet is to stick with the established names or if you're feeling brave do it yourself, but be aware of the insurance scams they try and pull.

I would never hire a removal company,there usually a bunch of yobs with a ?500 van

expecting easy money ie carrying two boxes.When you give them anything heavier

than a yellow pages theyll start moaning.Better off hiring a van and driving it yourself.

We used a company called "Aussie Man & Van" when we moved last year - I can't recommend them highly enough. They turned up on time, worked hard, packed everything in the truck really well, and happily put things in the correct rooms & reassembled furniture at the other end. I spoke to their office a few times before the move and they were very professional to deal with. Also received a follow up call from them a couple of days after the move to make sure everything was OK.

Sorry to hear about your awful experience JoGo. When we moved, we used a local company called Dulwich Light Removals - basically a man with a Luton, and three lads... and they were brilliant. Started early, just went on and on without any break, save for a quick glass of water, each. Nice, friendly bunch AND they didn't charge us a penny more than their quote. Highly recommended.

citizen

I will be moving soon and looking for recommendations for removals so all of this is very helpful. What sort of costs do people think I should be looking at to move furniture from a 1 bed flat into storage? Dulwich to Ealing. ?

thank you in advance!

We recently used Roberts and Denny's who have been recommended by others on this site. They did an excellent job, packing, dismantling, putting back together again, and price wise were very competitive. They are quite a big, local firm and cover the whole of Europe if required.

We had exactly the same experience where we given a very competitive price and then on the day they claimed that we had more stuff than when they had come round to quote. (Where had we been 'hiding' these extra boxes is anyone's guess) So, they had a van load of our possessions and said they wouldn't unload it until we paid them an extra ?200. We were held to ransom so we had to pay it. It made what was an extremely stressful day already so much worse.

Their names are ASL Removals and they're based in Forest Hill. DO NOT USE THEM!

Can I suggest that the victims of these scams take action against the companies involved? If you have been given a definitive quotation then I believe that is legally binding and for them to add extra charges is breach of contract. A possible, inexpensive route where you can represent yourselves would be the Small Claims Court. Sue them for the outstanding sum and also an hourly rate for your time spent pursuing the matter and any other incidental expenses incurred due to their failure to honour the contract.

It may be a bit nerve-wracking at the hearing but it is designed to be user-friendly and the judges are usually very sympathetic and patient with people they know are not professional advocates. I have been to the Small Claims in Northern Ireland three times (twice as a claimant and once as a respondent) and I won each time and found the process sympathetic, user-friendly and effective. Only thing is (unless it's all changed) the court only decides liability, it does not collect awards so if your debtor plays silly b****s you may need to pursue the actual award with the Enforcement of Judgements Office.

All a bit of a hassle, perhaps, but revenge is a dish best eaten cold and there is little as satisfying as seeing the opposition who ripped you off sitting sweating in the waiting room and then trying to explain themselves to a shrewd judge. Hit them where it hurts - their pocket. They did it to you,

We moved to ED a couple of months ago and as we are members of streetcar car club, we were able to get a big volkswagen van for 50 quid for 24 hrs and did it ourselves at the time that suited us ie after work etc and it was fine. Although takes longer than if you have crew of guys. Definetly the cheapest option.