maxsharp Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yoga types will be iyengar, hatha and rehab yoga

> with possibly some ashtanga. You don't have to be a member to

> come to the classes but as stated previously gym

> membership entitles you to all the classes you

> want.

Hi Max

If you're not a member, how much will a class cost?

Good to see you coming on to the forum to let us know about these things.

Did I say it sounds rubbish? What I meant to say is 'I'm not a gym person myself'.

There is arguably only a semantic difference between those two statements.

Judging by the number of celebrities people have spotted in and around ED then I think the gym will do well and despite my own disinterest I too wish you all the very best of British luck.

Ok, so thanks to people who have explained in detail about this new centre. HOWEVER, as a keep fit fanatic, I do not want to pay such a high membership fee just to ensure that there are only 3 or 8 people in my class!

At the East Dulwich Leisure Centre you can get monthly membership between ?30-45 and this includes a full health MOT inc. blood pressure, weight, advice on how to achieve your goals. You can also use any of the gyms linked eg peckham Pulse, in the area.

There's also the pool, pilates, various forms of yoga, fantastic exercise classes (the majority of instructors - esp. Theo and Cherron - are superb).

In short, for ?30 a month I get unlimited use of:

The Lifestyle gym

Exercise, mind and body classes

Swimming pools

Spa and sauna facilities

Discounts on a variety of leisure based activities at Fusion leisure centres

Online bookings for exercise, mind and body classes

Free one to one personal consultation

Free personal fitness programme

Free ongoing fitness assessments

Discounts on a variety of leisure based activities

I cannot fathom why one would pay such a massive amount more just for 'plush' surroundings. I am sorry but I am FED UP of businesses thinking they can charge an arm and a leg for services in SE22.

Max (from the new gym) I wish you luck, but your prices are very, very high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would love to join a local gym - haven't found one since i moved away from a beautiful esporta in chislehurst. but this one sounds like daylight robbery.

keep meaning to try the beckenham pool - but have heard mixed reviews - is it beautiful - or does it have toilet roll floating in the pool? Is there always a lane up? i have a week off next week so this thread has reminded me i should do some exercise.....

also looking for a yoga class at weekends since my one packed it in... if anyone can recommend a beginners one i would be grateful.

Off topic slightly but I for one am seriously relieved that Tesco didn't get their claws into the site, that goes down as a near miss. Interesting Natwest were interested too, I wonder if this was for a new branch or investment purposes?

Good luck to ESPH, a welcome addition to LL. Not an estate agent or kithcenware shop and renovating a derelict building whilst offering a unique service to the locale. Ignore the boo boys.

(Great to see the forum tradition of putting the boot in is alive and kicking, literally. If a "premium" gym isn't your thing, don't worry about it or the welfare of those who may be interested. Or wait until its opened and you've seen what's on offer, it may be actually reasonable value? Mini-rant over :)))

Damo "whilst offering a unique service to the locale."

It most definitely is NOT offering a unique service to the area! You can do pilates and yoga in various places, at much less cost!

However, I take your point that at least it wasn't a useless estate agent or kitchenware shop - or one of those shops selling expensive tat for the house, ghastly ornaments and the like. Not knowing the size of the place, I personally would have liked a small Waitrose. Sommerfield is a dire supermarket.

Well, I too am glad that Tesco's didn't get the site. And good luck to ESPH, although you won't catch me in there at those prices, especially while there's no pool. I'll continue going to Beckenham for now (which is very nice, btw. No bog roll floating around).

I'll probably look again if the second phase does come about and if the prices come down. But not until then.

It certainly isn't going to compete with regular gyms price-wise. But individually tailored pilates/yoga ran by physios sounds like it could be useful for some people, perhaps if you're suffering from back problems, or need injury rehab, etc. A half hour session of physio alone would cost you approx ?50, so maybe this could be a good alternative?

Just to re-iterate, the gym membership price includes all the exercise classes (yoga, circuit training, mattwork pilates etc). The only thing it doesn't include is the pilates equipment studio. Full membership also entitles you to discounts on all other services including treatments.

Max Sharp

esph

At the risk of being shot at again and in particular response to Spangles30 we very much are offering a unique service. There are no other health and fitness facilities around where the gym staff are all physios (all of whom have a first degree in sports science or exercise physiology). And we know this because we have done extensive market research both in the UK but also in Australia, and the US. I know that several of you have said so what to this but this is the main point of difference. The MOT you get when you join is completely different to what you would get at a traditional gym. We are offering a diagnostic screening by a physio who will examine you from head to toe, paying particular attention to foot biomechanics, your flexibility, grip strength, neck & back range of motion etc all of which are very relevant to the type of exercise you should and shouldn't be doing. We will also look at your resting heart rate, VO2 max, hip to waist ratio and blood pressure in order to guage fully your state of health. We will then listen to your goals and tailor a fitness programme to help you achieve them and lastly but most importantly we will offer you all the help and supervision you require to achieve your goals. All rolled into the monthly cost. I appreciate that the cost is high compared to Fusion and the other local gyms but we are offering a much more bespoke service than you would get from them. As a local business who have been in the area for almost 30 years we are delighted to be offering this unique service in East Dulwich.

The proof with all things is always in the testing so why not come and have a look for yourself when we open (last weekend in September).

Best to all.

Max

esph

Damo Wrote:

> Good luck to ESPH, a welcome addition to LL. Not

> an estate agent or kithcenware shop and renovating

> a derelict building whilst offering a unique

> service to the locale. Ignore the boo boys.

>

> (Great to see the forum tradition of putting the

> boot in is alive and kicking, literally. If a

> "premium" gym isn't your thing, don't worry about

> it or the welfare of those who may be interested.

> Or wait until its opened and you've seen what's on

> offer, it may be actually reasonable value?

> Mini-rant over :)))

Now, personally, I would be unlikely to pay such prices, especially as I do not go regularly.

However, I am beginning to feel a little sorry for ESPH. They haven't opened yet. The first thing anyone opening this thread will see is the prices and statement (a genuine mistake) that classes are extra, which is wrong. ESPH/Max's post is the 20th post on the thread, if people get as far as the 20th post...

A member of my family has had surgery on their back and ever since has had trouble with exercising without aggravating it. The physio they had (private) was a bit hit and miss. This sort of place could be useful for a few months and, as there is no contract, they would be free to leave whenever they wanted. Good luck to ESPH.

Maybe Quaywe (and others) should go and edit and correct earlier posts which had incorrect prices etc (or maybe admin could do it?)

Does seem really unfair as it did sounds expensive til I realised classes were included!

If I were in the market for another gym membership (two is enough for me;-)). I'd certainly consider it.

Like a lot of things you get what you pay for and I have the impression that this place will be more of an Aston Martin service centre than an East End Mitchell Brothers garage/panel beaters. I would love to take my body in for a proper service but my wallet says no at the moment however I think there are people in the East Dulwich area that can afford it and will make ESPH a success. Good luck Max.

nutty Wrote:

> Maybe Quaywe (and others) should go and edit and

> correct earlier posts which had incorrect prices

> etc (or maybe admin could do it?)

Nutty - already done mate. ?79 is the full membership price INCLUDING all classes except the Pilates lab. Still the priciest gym I know of but a hell of a lot better than the ?159 I thought it was originally. Like I said - I'll be giving them a go in October/November so I can make my own mind up whether it's worth the dosh. Why not?! There's no contract! Looking forward to it actually.

I think it's a fantastic addition to Lordship Lane. Sure, other gyms are cheaper but I bet they don't pay the rent that ESPH probably are and they definitely don't offer the service. Very best of luck with it Max.

Just one question - what will the exterior look like when finished and will there be an entrance from LL and the street to the side?