That new gym that's opening on Lordship Lane

Guest Curmudgeon

Classes are open to non-members at ?16 a pop. I've only been doing the EasyLine class at this stage, but they have other stuff like Yoga, Pilates, balance and stability, cardio. Like I said earlier because it's early days you have only a few people in the classes (sometimes just yourself!) so, although ?16 might not be cheap once the number of attendees increases, it sure is cheap for a 1-on-1 personal training session which is effectively what you're getting at the mo.

They do have a class timetable, but it's not on their web site. The only reason I can think of why it's not is because they're still prone to changes based on new member demand. Best to give them a call for now me thinks.

This is my second week of membership and I'm enjoying it. It's a five minute journey for me, door to door, so I don't allow myself any excuses for not going - that's a huge bonus. Plus, I like the fact that the gym is quite empty at the moment - that suits me as I like the peace and quiet and the personal attention from staff. The exercises in the programmes are quite specific - i.e. if you don't do them correctly then you might as well not bother at all - so it's good that there are so many staff around to make sure that everyone is on track. Most gyms I've attended before give you a half hour induction on the equipment and then leave you to your own devices. Like a lot of people, I'm very time-poor, so I don't want to waste my precious free time on something that doesn't deliver results. At the moment I think it's money well spent.

I don't work for the gym/own the gym so don't even go there. I think that comment above was really uncalled for.

So I checked out this place yesterday - I'm very impressed and will most likely join in the next week or 2.

-No queues for equipment

-state of the art equipment in there

-people training there were being given loads of supervision

-good opening hours + class timetable

-The Pilates room looks very impressive

-clean tidy + nice changng rooms

-potentially good expansion plans

-Suits me down to the ground

• 2 weeks later...

I joined the gym last month and love it! I was not a gym goer but needed to be and I am trying to get addicted!!

The space, equipment, location are great. The staff are really friendly, highly qualified physiotherapists who know your name / encourage you and give you a proper physical. The classes are good you can drop in at the moment but always safer to book (also makes you go!).

Its a family run gym / business and if successful in phase two they hope to do up the basement and add sauna/steam and perhaps a swim pool. Full membership works out less than ?20 per week and you only have to give one months notice if you wish to cancel. I am definitely spending ?20 less a week in the pub!! Importantly I have the sense that I can help shape the gym by giving feed back / suggestions i.e. we wanted yoga classes so they have set them up.

I guess I'll see you all there in Jan ;-)

East Dulwich has been in need of a quality gym for ages - now that someone has launched something with a strong emphasis on Medical-Fitness with Highly qualified staff.... we cant wait to tear into them !!!

That's the problem here - people conduct market research - we tell them what we want - we even tell them we don't mind paying a bit extra for quality service or products ( William Rose / Mercedes / Prime Property Location ) ... if everything you purchase is driven solely by price, it would be fair to say you DON'T represent the typical demographics of East Dulwich.

We need a decent gym on LL... we don't want it offering too many memberships because we don't want it to be too busy when we use it ... we expect the staff to be highly or even over-qualified because this is East Dulwich - we expect everything to be better for us... that's why we chose to live here... the quality of life is better than certain surrounding areas... and we pay for this privilege every month in our mortgages & rentals payments.

- sound like ESPH have done everything to the 'EAST DULWICH FORMULA'.... what's the problem here people?

DISCLAIMER: the following post was added after a day trying to find a simple, affordable gym that didn't have legionnaires or cockroaches in the SE22 area. It may seem a bit ranty but Fusion is dirty and falling apart, hamlets likewise, JAGS staff are pretty snobby and rude, and ESPH...

IbizaBG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> - sound like ESPH have done everything to the

> 'EAST DULWICH FORMULA'.... what's the problem here

> people?

Well...

Generally speaking, "medically-orientated fitness" is a load of absolute b*ll*cks designed to separate hypochondiacs who have overdosed on google-diagnosisTM from their cash. ?30 extra a month for a physio to see you on day one and tell you you've got a slight slouch? Come on, people. Private physio sessions cost about ?30, and after one any decent physio would tell you that there's nothing wrong with you and could you please kindly bugger off. Unless you are a professional standard athlete or in rehab from a genuine, pre-existing injury (not one that they diagnose you with, despite being symptom free your whole life) then in 99% of cases this is a waste of money, simply allowing you to over medicalise a lack of fitness. We're a medical household and have a brother-in-law who is a personal trainer: we can't do his job any more than he can do ours.

For an extra ?30 a month, I think the "extra quality of service or products" should be more quality equipment and quality facilities for... well... fitness. Not rubbish gimmics that play on the most fundemental of insecurities.

Pool, freeweights and enough room to use them if more than one of you wants to do so at the same time, clean changing rooms, polite staff.

I appreciate that my personal fitness requirements may well differ from those of others, but like a shampoo is not better just because it states on the advert that it has scientific elements proven to work by scientists using science, so a gym is not better because it has a medical focus by medics using medicine. And it certainly isn't worth the kind of money that is changing hands down there.

(and breathe...)

Sorry, but that's how I feel.

bignumber5

PS, FURTHER DISCLAIMER: this angry rant does not in any way represent the views of anyone else living with bignumber5, despite my references to the household. annaj may be small but will kick my a*se if she thinks I'm claiming that she agrees with me when I'm up on my soap box!

Big fan of this gym. I echo all of the positive sentiments above. I guess a gym is no less subjective or 'horses for courses' than anything else. If you know what you're doing and feel confident to pursue your fitness yourself, then all power to you. If you feel that you would benefit from some dedicated attention then I can't recommend this place highly enough and for all of the previously listed reasons. One other point I liked - they have a ski-fit class. This came into being because people were saying that they wanted a session and so they created one. I like that responsiveness.

It suits my needs fine. I like it enough to cancel my membership at a central London gym, where I pay a great corporate rate for heaps of machines etc etc. Undeniably convenience plays a massive part in my decision, but I feel I'm getting extra value enough to make up the rest of the difference in membership fees.

As Edkiwi says, if you don't like it, I don't mind! Means I can continue to visit it and be able to use what I want when I want. I really don't think this is a subject to get emotive about. If you like it, great. If you don't, my best wishes in finding somewhere.

And, in an effort to pre-empt those people who seem to spend their lives in a mood of suspicion, I don't work for the gym. I'm just very happy that it is here.

east dulwich is full of great yoga sessions. why the clamour for there? paying double, plus probably a bunch of people who will do a few classes, hold things up then move to the next thing. this is usual in gyms. sure theres a hardcore but they often will be the kind of people that do a session somewhere else also during the week as well. because they are really into it rather than lightweights in a gym.my ten cents.

• 1 year later...

Hi Im a new member. I dropped into the gym in Lordship Lane yesterday and when trying to find information about it this site came up. I had to join in as some you are being really negative and obviously wont be happy unless this site is a pound shop when you could get things REALLY CHEAP.

If you have bad back pain and all the associated symptoms this place could be a lifeline. I have spent a lifetime going to gyms and classes where the staff are more often that not unqualified to deal with back problems and if they are don't have the time to give indepth support. Yes the gym is expensive but can you put a price on your health and this is a family run business which needs your support. By that I do not mean you have to join but at least dont keep trying to shoot them down. Those private/ council ones are only cheaper because we pay towards them out of our council tax and quite frankly they are crap in every way. You get what you pay for in life.

I had a really good feeling for the place and that it was very professional and serious about health whilst offering something that does not exist on this level elsewhere in the area. Paying a bit more also means that you are serious about your health and will find the money somehow. This place is not for everyone but it offers a valuable service. No doubt they could have lowered their prices and made it more popularist but then it would be like every other place. So lets be positive .

I have to say that I agree with bea1. I joined last summer & yes, the best part of ?80 a month is a lot. However, this gym is great for people who have had problems with their backs/joints/etc. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was about 13 & ESPH is precisely the sort of gym I need. If it's not your cup of tea, don't join - no one is forcing you. The staff are helpful & knowledgeable - surely those are qualities to be applauded in any business.

Gefling, I can't answer your question as I don't really know what to compare it to. There are free weights, yes, but I guess you'd have to take a look to see if it would suit you. They are always happy to show people around the gym.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Has anyone used the creche at ESPH and if so I'd be interested to hear your feedback (plus the age of your child etc).

Is it only available 2 mornings a week? (Any plans to extend this?) Is there a minimum age limit? Is there an additional charge?

Thanks