That new gym that's opening on Lordship Lane

Guest Curmudgeon

Perversely, I?m considering joining BECAUSE it?s so expensive. I?m so very lazy (and lardy) that I really need to do some regular exercise and given that this place is so expensive, I would probably show up to get my money?s worth. If it was half the price my lazy ass would stay put on the sofa. Bizarre, but true.

How many customers (if that's the right word) and members of staff do you expect to come to the gym by car? It would be nice to think everyone will either walk or come on the bus, but that's unlikely to be the case. Given how busy most of the roads around Bassano usually are, curious to know where customers will park, especially in the evening.

"Greynolds" post is a classic - reminds me of that moment in I'm Alan Patridge when Lynn his PA pipes up from the back row where he's hosting "an Afternoon with Alan Patridge" - "Yes, Alan. I wondered if you had any more Alan Partridge tie and blazer badge combination packs available ?"

Most expensive gym - the one I am a member of; Amida in Beckenham at ?81 per month. Dulwich Fusion - used to be a member but got fed up with the rubbish facilities. Wanted to join Alleyns (only local alternative) but when I tried to make an appointment to go and have a look round, I was told I couldn't, as their 'membership administrator' had left. My disbelief at that particular piece of nonsense led me to grit my teeth and join Amida - far, far away and madly expensive, but utterly fabulous; masses of equipment, pool, fantastic spa & spa/beauty treatments, tennis/badminton/squash, loads of classes including at least five pilates classes per week etc etc - couldn't ask for more. Except for it to be in Dulwich.

Will have a look at this one, as I would prefer to stay local, but I am going to get my mum to road test it first. Sounds made for her - she has plenty for the physios to get their teeth into, (diabetes related mobility issues/trapped nerves etc) and I will be expecting a wondrous improvement.

I am a member of Cannons, which is a 'gym' in the traditional sense of the word, in that you are going to work out, not be rehabilitated. I like the idea of the new place on LL and hope it does well. Pilates is very good for posture and backs etc. and I would recommend it to anyone who has a back problem. I might give it a go for a month or so until Xmas. Maybe I'll wean my way off Cannon's and run and exercise locally? Nero

Hello

I'm really sorry I started this thread and was unable to return due to log-in difficulties. I've been reading with interest though and have smiled at some of the more obvious 'mates of the owner' posts and read with interest the post of the owner.

I think its rather amusing referring to this as a 'family run gym' and ignoring the fact they already have facilities in Fulham.

I think I was just very disappointed in the pricing structure, but then I must not be target market. I would have happily used this off-peak and forgone the swimming pool if it had been more cost-effective than ANY of the neighbouring and well-resourced facilities: the leisure centre, JAGS, Dulwich College etc.

I agree its targeted at different people than little ol' me. But the resultant impression is that rather than a friendly 'family run gym' the elitist pricing structure shows another way that the area is evolving away from me and into a 'Fulham-zone'

I picked my name with care you see :))

and as my spouse is wont to say 'If you are so enraged by the concept and prices don't farkin' join'

Good luck Max

The family that run ESP are very nice,and do want to become part of the community,that is the impression they gave me and i always like to give people the benefit of the doubt,and as the last post so eloquently put in,if you dont like it dont use it.Simple really

Curmudgeon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello

>

> I'm really sorry I started this thread and was

> unable to return due to log-in difficulties. I've

> been reading with interest though and have smiled

> at some of the more obvious 'mates of the owner'

> posts and read with interest the post of the

> owner.

Which are the mates of the owner posts?

Why has the first post been changed to 'anonymous user'. I'm confused. :-S

Ko Wrote:

> Which are the mates of the owner posts?

> Why has the first post been changed to 'anonymous

> user'. I'm confused. :-S

In answer to your first question there are some posts on here that just don't feel real .. if I'm wrong I apologise .. but it is fairly obvious on reading through thread which ones I'm referring to

With reference to your second question. As I stated I had log-in problems because of a couple of Trojans on my laptop so Admin kindly deleted my registration so that I could re-register .. this seemed to remove my posting name from the OP and left me unable to edit out the inaccuracy that it is only the Pilates classes that are not included in the membership fee (which I still feel is extortionate .. but please see my penultimate comment on previous post)

I have not yet seen the gym and probably won't be joining for a number of reasons, but I would like to make a small point on the issue of cost.

As anyone who has worked in the 'gym industry' knows, membership fees for major chains and council run facilities such as Fusion are kept low as a result of the very low salaries paid to gym staff (in London, your average gym instructor probably gets a FT annual salary of between 13,000 - 18,000 GBP). I'm not necessarily saying they deserve to be paid more as inevitably, as market forces would adjust gym salaries to higher levels if people were willing to pay more for their gym memberships - and based on most comments on this forum, it seems this is not something people seem willing to do).

However I am always amazed how people will pay 80 quid to get their hair coloured, or around the same for a couple of rounds of overpriced drinks, but when it comes to their physical wellbeing, seem happy to pay as little as possible and settle for some underpaid, under-qualified gym bunny and a stinky over-crowded facility.

Anyway, to each his own. I personally wish these guys all the best.

Sounds to me as if you are closely connected to the said gym, ednerd.

I don't know anyone who pays ?80 a month to get their hair coloured.

You say "when it comes to their physical wellbeing, (people) seem happy to pay as little as possible and settle for some underpaid, under-qualified gym bunny and a stinky over-crowded facility".

What a huge generalisation. Are you suggesting that the people at the said new, and expensive, gym are BETTER than people who work in other gyms? As someone who has sampled the delights of a variety of gyms (most well known) in London, I'd say the Fusion ones, The Queen Mother Sports Centre, 223 Vauxhall Bridge Road and the central YMCA are OUTSTANDING in many ways, with some fantastic and inspiring instructors.

I'm a fitness fanatic of many years standing, and can tell straightaway when an instructor is 'crap'. I wouldn't belong to the Fusion in ED if the instructors were "under-qualified gym bunnies" working in "a stinky over-crowded facility".

People on average wages like me cannot afford to splurge ?80 a month on a gym, getting their hair done, or buying a round of drinks in a pub. However, why should we not be able to express our surprise at a new gym opening (a much needed one incidentally - I've been saying for ages there's a gap in the market) which is charging a helluva lot in membership fees.

We aren't all loaded in ED!