Dulwich Hamlet

I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Dulwich Hamlet this season. It's been quite a ride. I'd stopped going in the early 70s but I'm very happy to be a regular again especially seeing as I will no longer realistically be able to afford my regular trips to White Hart Lane next season to watch my beloved Tottenham Hotspur. We should all who live around here get behind our local club.

All at the club can count themselves proud for all their dedication and hard work this season. Despite the dip in form over the past couple of months, finishing 6th in our first season back in the Premier Division is no mean achievement and it was great to have had Harry Ottaway back in the last few games after six months out with a broken leg to remind us what a good centre forward he is. Let's hope we can keep hold of Erhan Oztumer next season but if he goes on to bigger and better things then good luck to the lad. He's a fantastic player.

There was a great atmosphere on Saturday and the support that the team got from the fans especially behind the goal was brilliant and has been all season. We were so close to the play-offs and were very unlucky not to make them in the end. I wear my pink and blue scarf with pride. Can't wait for next season. Onwards and upwards.

"Gavin Rose's pink & blue army."

Thats quite a memory you've got there!!

Thanks for info

Jon

Pink Panther Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> jonsuissy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Threw it away last 2 months didn't they.

> > Great season though.

> > Found these pics of the old ground whilst

> clearing

> > out

> > Looks like they could've been against

> Kingstonian

> > like yesterday

> > Taken mid 80s I'd reckon when I first moved to

> > Dulwich

> > Jon

>

> Thanks for sharing those pics. The match was

> against Walthamstow Avenue in 1986/7. That was

> the only season we wore pink shorts and Avenue

> finished bottom and we never played them again as

> they amalgamated with Leytonstone-Ilford,

> eventually renaming themselves Redbridge Forest

> before amalgamating with Dagenham, to form the

> club now playing in the Football League. Avenue

> are wearing their away kit. (Their traditional

> colours were sky & navy hoops.) The Hamlet

> players in the first picture are Stokley Sawyers

> (no.10) and Paul Williams, who played one League

> match for Chelsea as a youngster. From memory it

> was Sawyers' debut for the club and they both

> scored an a game Hamlet won 5-2.

Jah Lush You said you stopped going in the 70's. I used to be a regular back then, late sixties early seventies with dear old Dad, but don't really follow football that much these days. You must remember D.H. playing Walthamstow Avenue( as pointed out by Pink Panther) now Dagenham in the football league. Also Wycombe Wanderers. Do you remember the narrow alleyway down to the ground and the side gate opened after the match which led onto St. Francis Road. Already spoke about the great character of those days, Bronco, on another thread. Remember him. You must remember the other pitch at the back of the ground which was used as a training pitch and for Sunday league teams/matches.

adonirum Wrote:

> Jah Lush You said you stopped going in the 70's.

> I used to be a regular back then, late sixties

> early seventies with dear old Dad, but don't

> really follow football that much these days. You

> must remember D.H. playing Walthamstow Avenue( as

> pointed out by Pink Panther) now Dagenham in the

> football league. Also Wycombe Wanderers. Do you

> remember the narrow alleyway down to the ground

> and the side gate opened after the match which led

> onto St. Francis Road. Already spoke about the

> great character of those days, Bronco, on another

> thread. Remember him. You must remember the other

> pitch at the back of the ground which was used as

> a training pitch and for Sunday league

> teams/matches.

Afraid the memories are very very vague. I used to go with my dad as a kid in the 60s and probably went to my last match there before going again this season around 69/70 possibly '71. We'd walk from Dulwich Village where I grew up through Greendale and enter the old stadium there. I remember the other pitch and that they shared with Corinthian Casuals for a while and watched a couple of their games too. One match I do remember is losing four-nil at home to Sutton United but not sure if it was Corinthian Casuals or Dulwich Hamlet. A very long time ago so it's a bit of a blur. I am very happy I've renewed my allegiance with the club now though. I fancy a few away games next season as well.

Jah Lush, good luck with the away games thing. I vaguely remember Dad taking me to an away game in the F.A.Amateur Cup, as it was back then, to Bishop Auckland or Blyth Spartans "way oop nooorth" or back of beyond to put it another way!! I seem to recall it took about three weeks to get there ( I've told myself a million times not to exaggerate), quite an adventure for a young lad in those days ( 60's/early 70's ). I have not re-acquainted myself, the last time I went( I think it was '99 maybe '98) was when D.H. got through to the first round of the F.A.Cup.

Yes, well done to DH...6th is not bad at all...though I do remember getting very excited about 10 weeks' ago when they were in line for automatic promotion (never mind POs).

jonsuissy, those pictures are wonderful, thank you. The skyline has totally changed...and crowd numbers increased somewhat...and Holy Mary Mother of God, those shorts were INDEED short PGC. Jah, I really recommend away games...I've been to two (Fetcham Grove and Nyewood lane)...the atmosphere was friendly and laid back. The grounds weren't as smart as DH's, but nicely "tatty" in a comforting kind of way.

---------------

GA-VIN RO-SE'S, PINK AND BLUE ARMY...

The slippage was a shame as I saw some fantastic footbal, who needs premier league eh? But there is always next season and as I have fallen in love with the old lady I intend to attend more regularly. Great to have this stadium close to home and great photos Jon.

El Pibe Wrote:

> I've enjoyed this chap for a long time, i don't

> think he even lives in london anymore so hats off

> for effort

>

> http://onionbagblog.com/2014/04/27/crap-match-repo

> rt-51/

AHAHAHAHA...MARVELLOUS, El Pibe! Beautifully captures the atmosphere. I would definitely have picked up the pissy 1p!!

Hey! Blue Revolution! You are in the 3rd photo!!

---------------

Jah Lush Wrote:

> LD, the skyline has changed because the old

> stadium was knocked down to make way for

> Sainsburys and rebuilt adjacent to where it is

> now.

I remember that. What I cannot remember though, is when the old hospital was knocked down. Was that before or after Sainsbury's?

---------------

Laddy Muck Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > LD, the skyline has changed because the old

> > stadium was knocked down to make way for

> > Sainsburys and rebuilt adjacent to where it is

> > now.

>