New to the area?

Galliman

I've been thinking of moving to the area for some time and took a big step closer this weekend when I registered with a few agents (sorry but even Foxtons!) and viewed a couple of properties, but now I've started the ball rolling, I'm feeling a little hesitant! I love the area (from what I've seen on a few weekend/evening trips, plus what I've read on here) but can't decide if I'm making the right call! I fancy a change of scene and want to be closer to town - so zone 2 is better than zone 5, but by moving from my home of 6 years (South Croydon), I'd be doubling my mortgage for effectively the same house and will still have a similar commute (15 mins instead of 25). I guess I've fallen for the ED lifestyle, but is it worth an extra ?1k a month to the bank??

I'd love to hear from anyone who's recently made the move to ED and maybe pondered the same dilemma!

You're probably asking the wrong people, as clearly everyone here thinks it is worth the money or they would all be living in bigger/cheaper houses in South Croydon!

I suppose you also have to ask a) what your alternatives are if you definitely want to be closer to town (I think ED is still cheaper than other S London zone 2 areas e.g. Clapham/Battersea) and b) if you will still be able to go out etc if you have to pay the extra mortgage (no point moving here for the lifestyle and then sitting in eating Value beans).

Everyone has their own reasons for moving - you have to decide whether moving here will fulfil your objectives and at what cost.

If it is really going to cost you ?1k a month extra then I guess it depends on what proportion of your income that is. For many people that IS their income. For some others it's a relatively small percentage

I think any amount of money is worth it to not live in Croydon but that is me being slightly facetious

Your commute, as you point out, won't be significantly shorter but in my experience, knowing that I CAN get home without any transport if need be, has made a major difference to me. I used to live in E12 an was totally reliant on tubes. Now I can mix and match trains, buses, walking and taxis as and when

East Dlwich is barely even Zone 2, the border of zone 3 used to be the roundabout.

As Sean said, if you're minted, and have an extra grand a month to throw away (or if for some reason your current mortgage is very small), do it. However, don't leave yourself so skint you can't actually afford to go out, otherwise it makes no odds where you live.

I'm from East Dulwich, and do love the place, but am now living just up the road in Sydenham, and am well happy with that. If you haven't already read it, you may find THIS THREAD interesting/useful... That is to say there are some mixed opinions and useful ones in amongst the usual nonsense.

"The East Dulwich Lifestyle"... there's a phrase I thought I'd never hear!

I agree with Sean that although the journey into town may not be significantly quicker than from elsewhere, you always have options. If trains break down or go on strike, or you decide to stay in town late, there are plenty of bus routes running at all hours. And it's close enough to central London to make cycling or minicabs realistic (or even driving, if that's your bag).

JoeChuff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> move to kennington

I moved from Kennington to ED - you get a lot more for your money here than you do there. Probably works out about equal if you take cab fares into account though.

If you decide that the jump in mortgage payments is too risky and you want to save yourself a few thousand pounds, and make a good investment, maybe you should consider Sydenham. I have friends in Sydenham (zone 3) who cycle or run to and from work, and it's only 15mins longer on the bus than East Dulwich. The train service is a bit more frequent too (with more options), and only takes five mins longer (no need for timetables - if you turn up at the station you rarely have to wait more than 10 mins, frequently there is one due sooner when I arrive, so similar to living next to some tube lines but nicer than having to use the tube, you pretty much always get a seat in the rush hour too). In the last year Sydenham has gone from having just a small sprinkling of lifestyle shops (health food shop, bookshop/gallery and one decent cafe) and in the last 10 months a great gastro pub has opened and East Dulwich's Blue Mountain Cafe is opening up another branch there (due to open any day soon) and there is a lot more going on....so there are businesses out there who are already tapping in to its potential. You are only a short bus ride from ED if you want its vast going out options in the meantime...just an idea!

move to bellenden - close to Peckham rye, zone 2 and 10mins to London bridge. also very close to LL for nights out

value for money but limited houseing stock (lots of terraced 3 bed houses - usually with good 100foot gardens)

alternatively - sydenam (as mr darcy mentioned) or Crystal palace. You need a railway station and a good cluster of shops/bars that you could envisage hanging out of an evening.

Galliman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been thinking of moving to the area for some

> time and took a big step closer this weekend when

> I registered with a few agents (sorry but even

> Foxtons!) and viewed a couple of properties, but

> now I've started the ball rolling, I'm feeling a

> little hesitant! I love the area (from what I've

> seen on a few weekend/evening trips, plus what

> I've read on here) but can't decide if I'm making

> the right call! I fancy a change of scene and

> want to be closer to town - so zone 2 is better

> than zone 5, but by moving from my home of 6 years

> (South Croydon), I'd be doubling my mortgage for

> effectively the same house and will still have a

> similar commute (15 mins instead of 25). I guess

> I've fallen for the ED lifestyle, but is it worth

> an extra ?1k a month to the bank??

>

> I'd love to hear from anyone who's recently made

> the move to ED and maybe pondered the same

> dilemma!

I have lived in ED , Sydenham and South Croydon. They all have different and interesting lifestyles to offer . ED is far more alive and full of young families than S.C.However the latter is quieter, more private , peaceful and full off big houses , driveways and good state schools (Wallington and Wilsons schools).

Don't do it! It's overpriced and bleak, You will never meet anybody except on this site and they don't even remember your birthday let alone your funeral. You could buy a wonderful property abroad for a fraction of the cost. Anyway. just an idea.