Islington Vs East Dulwich...

HOMum

Used to live in Cloudesley Road between 1998 and 2000. I now live in Allendale Close, Camberwell so I don't quite fit the bill.

That said I can confirm that there is a striking resemblance between LL now and Upper Street then although the scale is significantly smaller in SE22.

jayd5 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alan Dale,

>

> would you say in maybe a couple of years ED will

> almost be there - on the scale of upper street?

I'm no Mystic Meg but maybe.

It already seems it will be similarly dominated by chains but I'm not sure that you will get the same level of visiting consumers with such limited transport.

worked in islington for a long time and lived very close (archway). Hated it and never ever felt safe walking around on my own especially around the Kings/Queens heads bit. I think it has changed a bit since then which was 6 years ago but still I wouldn't go back there unless it was essential.

LL doesn't seem big enough to become like Upper Street or have the transport, theatres, clubs, huge council estates etc.

I hope it stays as it is

chuff

Lived in Islington (Offord Road) before moving south to ED in 2003. We moved to get more space + garden for young family. Now we have v good fishmogers and butchers there isn't much I miss, although there is a slightly better football team in N1.

They are so different I think. Islington is just on the corner of the West End and just up the hill from the City. It has a tube, it is richer, houses are more expensive.

Wait a minute. I have lived in both. I lived in Highbury Fields at the top end of Upper Street last year. Now I live in East Dulwich.

What else do you want to know?

East Dulwich is like a suburb, Islington is very much central London. Islington has great design shops and used furniture dealers, even if they are overpriced. ED is not there yet.

Islington does have a village feel to it where Upper Street just feels like a thoroughfare with a lot of good shops on it.

Bars are heaving in Islington of an evening. There's a few gay places in Islington. Islington is much bigger than ED.

There are just as many estate agents in each place.

Islington has a cinema.

And theatres - some in pubs.

Ummmm...... Just as much carrot cake and lattes. Good clothes shops in Islington.

More crime too.

It takes me 30 mins to cycle from ED to the city but only 15 mins from Islington.

Is that enough?

I lived in a flat off Essex Road from 1980-82, and have lived in ED for exactly 20 years.

In those days Upper Street was almost exactly identical to what LL is like now, but with the added advantage of greater business presence and higher grade Georgian housing nearby than East Dulwich has.

Also, although LL is moving in the same way that Upper Street developed after that, access probably makes a significant difference, with Upper Street having a tube station at each end. Also the Upper Street area had, even at that time, far more large-scale commercial development (with a consequent large daytime working population) than ED has, and there was something edgy and even bohemian about the place, which has never been the case with ED or LL. Upper Street also had the advantage of over ED of being a destination for entertainment, such as Sadlers Wells, the Kings Head and Screen on the Green (although ED did have comedy), and was also home to lots of alternative cultural activities. It also had the draw of a large street market, a large shopping centre, as well as being a major bus hub and within striking distance of three major rail termini. It was also a tourist destination in its own right, even in the early 1980s, for such things as Camden Passage antiques market and businesses owned by famous restaurateurs.

Personally, I think that it isn't easy to make a direct comparison between LL and the regeneration and development of Upper Street because of the cultural catalysts missing from the development ED, and LL will never really develop on the same scale.