Advice on gyms in the area

I've just quit my membership at the Fusion Club after one year of growing increasingly frustrated with the general unpleasantness of the free weights area (people not wiping down, hogging the equipment, etc), the smelly changing rooms (guys, urinals exist for a reason. Don't take a wee in the shower!!), and the overcrowding (it appears as though they really don't consider the number of people that can fit in the gym).

I am currently considering joining ESPH. I was wondering if anybody who is/has been a member had any thoughts on the gym. Is it worth the extra ?20 that it costs compared to other gyms? Did the physical trainers help you achieve your goals?

Ta in advance!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Bringing back an old thread here.. but I agree with the complaints re: Fusion. I went in last night and turned around a left. Aside from the bad changing facilities it's always so busy. Not a single cardio machine free. And the weights area is poorly managed. Have only been a member for a month but going to cancel membership and join ESPH.

jacks09 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> MediaBoy what type of training are you looking

> for? I looked at ESPh but not even a squat rack

> or bench??

If you want lots of heavy free weights, resistance machines, smith machines, squat racks etc then Flaxmans behind Camberwell bus station is the place to go. Old school but v friendly. A few cardio units too for warming up/down.

And cheap. Gym only is just ?20pcm.

Fusion is such a waste... lovely space and gym ruined by terrible management. I remember going last summer during the heatwave and the place was steaming hot with no tissues available and worst of all, both water fountains constantly broken/empty. Hopeless.

• 2 weeks later...

I can vouch for Esph. You get a physio assessment when you join so you can understand your body and any problems. The classes are not over full and a good variety. There is equipment Pilates or cardio to pick from. And a good gym.

Check out www.esph.co.uk if you join before Xmas you get a month free and a ?25 fitness voucher.

Dulwich Fusion has improved since the summer but it's still badly ventilated and changing rooms are getting tatty despite being newly fitted not long ago. Also their pilates classes are oversubscribed, making them not worthwhile. I'm thinking of letting my membership lapse and going elsewhere.