What do we do here?

Nero

MP sometimes you have to grow your own grass.

I used to have a farly powerful, possibly glamarous intl jetsetting exec adman lifestyle which all happened to me by accident, some hard work and a lot of luck. Certainly more than I'd ever dreamed of when I left school and home at 16 with a few GCE's. But after a couple of marriages and not able to see my son and real friends as often as I'd liked I began to wonder whether the high life and all its pressures were really worth the sacrifice. So I jacked it in, settled down in SE22 and started over again doing something I enjoy and want to do. I might be considered a bit too old and perhaps not as talented as others but I'm the happiest (and brokest) I've been in 20 years.

If it doesn't work I'll retrain as a computer programmer and hang out in Soho Dominatrix Bars* ;-)

*based on a true experience

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls

> and crushing ice.

> I have been known to remodel train stations on my

> lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the

> area of heat retention.

> I translate ethnic slurs for Kenyan refugees. I

> write award winning operas, and manage time

> efficiently.

I am inadequate and unworthy.:'(

> Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a

> row.

> I woo women with my sensuous and Godlike trombone

> playing.

> I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with

> unflagging speed.

> I cook thirty minute brownies in twenty minutes.

> I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and

> an outlaw in Peru.

>

> Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I

> once single-handedly defended a small village in

> the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army

> ants.

> I play bluegrass cello. I had trials with

> Manchester United Football Club and am the subject

> of numerous documentaries.

> When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges

> in my garden. I enjoy urban hang gliding.

> On Wednesdays after work, I repair electrical

> appliances free of charge.

>

> I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a

> ruthless bookie.

> Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of

> corduroy evening wear.

> I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I

> receive fan mail.

> I have appeared in "Through The Keyhole" and won

> the Nobel Peace Prize.

> Last summer I toured eastern Europe with a

> travelling centrifugal-force demonstration.

> I run the 100m in 9.65 seconds. My deft floral

> arrangements have earned me fame in international

> botany circles. Children trust me.

>

> I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects

> with deadly accuracy.

> I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick and David

> Copperfield in one day and still had time to

> refurbish an entire dining room that evening.

> I know the exact location of every food item in

> the supermarket. I have performed several covert

> operations for the CIA.

> I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a

> chair.

> While on holiday in Canada, I successfully

> negotiated with a group of terrorists who had

> seized a small bakery.

>

> The laws of physics do not apply to me. I balance,

> I weave, I dodge, I frolic and my bills are all

> paid.

> On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in

> full-contact origami.

> Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but

> forgot to write it down.

> I have made extraordinary four-course meals using

> only some vegetables and a Breville toaster. I

> breed prize winning clams.

> I have won bullfights in Madrid, cliff diving

> competitions in Sri Lanka, and chess competitions

> in the Kremlin.

> I have played Hamlet. I have performed open heart

> surgery and I have spoken with Elvis but I have

> never been to Bluewater.

I am inadequate.:'(

When the kids come I'll end up house husband for a bit as the Mrs is the high-flyer. I'm thinking that'll be a good time to rethink it all, and may well take up your profession .. err.. professionally.

We'll probably be in oireland by then so I shouldn't be a competitor, but apart from gaming (and the missus obviously) it's my only real passion.

And I've not grown grass for a VERY long time ;)

When the kids come dream jobs often get shelved or you do the dream job and shelve having kids. If you've got a partner who'll support your dreams then you're half way there. Luck is a big part of it. Jah you can put your mind to it but it will only ever happen if the opportunities present theselves and you're there to take advantage.

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When the kids come dream jobs often get shelved or

> you do the dream job and shelve having kids. If

> you've got a partner who'll support your dreams

> then you're half way there. Luck is a big part of

> it. Jah you can put your mind to it but it will

> only ever happen if the opportunities present

> theselves and you're there to take advantage.

I disagree slightly. At least half of it is a matter of how much you really want to do something (or in my case, how little you want to do anything else ha ha).

London is full of moaners who 'can't wait' to jack it all in and run a dive shop in Thailand / renovate a farmhouse in Timbuktu / live with chimps in the congo blah blah blah, but the fact is, very few people are prepared to suffer a drop (or stop!) in income. Ie, it's a nice idea, but they don't want to do it enough to put their (lack of) money where their mouth is.

You're right, *Bob*. But bear in mind that perhaps the stupid house prices may explain some of that. It's one thing to jack it all in and start a new career, it's another altogether to have to up sticks and move elsewhere into the bargain.

If you really want to do something then you're practically there providing you have the skills. If you're a kid growing up on a gangfested estate in an area of high unemployment with errant parents and teachers that don't care you wont even know what you want to do except survive and not get caught. Somehow some kids with great talent break out despite the odds but I bet many more never even got the chance to show us that given the chance they could do something good with their lives.

My brother has been a programmer for about 20 years and sold up bought a farm and has a wife who now hates him!, But he's happy and is supporting his new farmy life in France by doing contract work from home for one of his old mates in the UK and is getting along quite well with it. He has lived in France for years before so speaks fluent French which helps.