good street or bad street?

benmorg

I especially don't like those houses on Whately that are built so that it's impossible to keep their wheelie bins inside their property.

But far more interestingly, who knows the goss about that place on Whateley that looks likes it used to be a fish & chip shop, but is now abandoned and filled with all sorts of incongruous junk?

Prey tell....

they didnt go out of business in the 80's!!

that chip shop is about 5 doors down from me on the corner of Landcroft Road...

it was mid 90's easily... but all the same still 10 years ago!!!

its does look very ugly indeed!!

the family DO still live there, although only an older man, who used to run the chippy is ever seen!

the reason that it cant be sold (as i understand) is that when they bought the place they loaned money off the bank of china...and apparantly the bank of china will not sell the property on as they are owed money?

PLUS this guy still lives there and refues to move!

hope this sheds some light...

jayd5 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> they didnt go out of business in the 80's!!

> that chip shop is about 5 doors down from me on

> the corner of Landcroft Road...

> it was mid 90's easily... but all the same still

> 10 years ago!!!

I'll bow to you on this then. I grew up on the street, and thought it was earlier than that (I was thinking late 80's) but there you go. Are you really sure? Mid 90's I was 17-18, and I'm sure I was a lot younger than that. :-S

• 4 weeks later...

seanmlow Wrote:

> In fairness, all areas have their benefits.

How true!

Up on the hill, you get the fantastic views, the sailing clouds, the heady hit of oxygen ;-)

Down at the bottom, you're a little nearer the shops.

But in general, every road is a mixed bag. Even Court Lane - where every house would probably sell for 1.5m+ - has a good end (CL Gardens/Village, vintage) and a naff end (LL, suburban style), or some variability along it's length (Crystal Palace Road?).

My own panoramic hill-side view is about to be interrupted by the imminent arrival of a new (low-rise) block of flats in the next road. Ho hum.

>

> I am currently on ED road - lovely road, but is

> bloody noisy and some would be put off by that.

> Horses for courses!

I was on ED Rd many moons ago (mid-1980s). The fabulous thing there is having a sitting room that is filled with the view of the marvellous plane trees. North side is less noisy... but there used to be a lot of dog-doings on the Green, as I recall. Yes, it's swings and roundabouts.

from what I understand you currently pay more to be closer to the station and LL, however, I reckon this will flatten out when the Tube comes to HOP in 3 years time, then anywhere within walking distance, like Ryedale, will become more desirable, being equidistant from the Tube and LL. The Tube will be 6 stops to the City and, more importantly, 6 stops to Canary Wharf. This will, IMO, change things quite a bit.

jb1000 Wrote:

> The Tube will be 6 stops to the City and, more

> importantly, 6 stops to Canary Wharf. This will,

> IMO, change things quite a bit.

Why do you think that the new "London Overground" (not strictly the tube) route will provide a better service for the City and Canary Wharf than the existing train services into London Bridge?

it will link up to the Jubilee Line at Canada Water, which is one stop from Canary Wharf. Trains will also be frequent enough to give a "turn up and go" service like a tube station, so you won't need to worry about following the timetable.

benmorg Wrote:

> it will link up to the Jubilee Line at Canada

> Water, which is one stop from Canary Wharf.

It's already very difficult to get on an east bound Jubilee Line at Canada Water during rush hour... and it's only going to get worse.

You just get used to the bit you live in. If you're on the east side, you enjoy the park, the Herne and the quiet; if you're on the west side you enjoy the public transport, Lordship Lane's facilities and the bustle. A very good friend of mine actually sold up her place 3 mins from the station and has moved to the top of Forest HIll Road for the views, quiet and fresher air. Even living near Peckham Rye, I'm only a 15 minute walk to Lordship Lane.

Hey,

We are moving into a flat on Marmora Road in three weeks time. It seemed like a really decent tree lined road - think it may even be a cul de sac. Does anyone know much about this road at all?? Or the distance it would take to walk to Honour Oak Station?

Thanks!

> Trains will also be frequent enough to give a "turn up and go"

> service like a tube station, so you won't need to worry about

> following the timetable.

Well the trains from Peckham Rye sure as heck don't follow a timetable!

So are we really getting a tube, or is it just an adapted overground line from Honor Oak? In what way will it be better than 63 > Peckham Rye > London Bridge > real tube???

It's an adapted overground line, but it will appear on revised tube maps, so it will effectively put SE London on the tube network as far as all tube users are concerned. Journey time to Canary wharf from Forest Hill/Honor will be 8 mins shorter than at present, and there will be 8 trains per hour (one every 7.5 minutes).

East Dulwich station won't get the new tube line (and never will), but the line will run through Forest Hill, Honor Oak & Sydeham, all of which are a bus ride away from East Dulwich. Peckham Rye is pencilled in as a station on the proposed western spur of the East London Line extension, but that part of the project hasn't been approved and hasn't got funding, so may well get ditched after the Olympics.