All Bar One is looking for ED home/Franklins organics in LL (Lounged)

Quaywe

I've heard from a not so reliable source that All Bar One is looking to set up shop in ED. Apparently the tyre shop opposite Franklins was up for sale/lease and the AB1 mob were after it. Franklins ended up buying/leasing it, mainly to stop AB1 opening near them, and are going to set up an organic green grocers shop in it.

At least Franklins had the money behind them to get hold of the premises and stop a competitor opening next door. A bit of a turn up for the books in this case (it's normally the chain stores bullying the small guy out of the neighbourhood using this method).

Apparently AB1's have their eyes on another premises in LL now. If AB1 is looking, then it's only a matter of time before they find the right premises.

Regards

EDKiwi

NOTE: Edited specific LL street numbers out as it appears my source didn't have the street numbering right for their next target property.

Note2: Edited again to state source was about as reliable as a tabloid reporter needing a news story during holiday season!

Franklins should forget the green grocers, and have one site for their food, and the other just as a pub. I think that would be pretty cool, as I don't like drinking there because I feel like I'm drinking in the waiting area of a food place, without buying any food.

Not the staff that have made me feel like that by the way, just my own observation.

When I first saw ED change I would have put good money on the EDT being the perfect site for ABO. Still amazed that never happened (and relieved)

I thought the ABO brand was on the wane anyway?? It could be the overall pubco that is looking at sites rather than an All Bar One. (and don't that pubco already "do" The Plough?

)

M&B own the Plough and the Harvester. Also Crown & Greyhound and Alleyn's Head in se21 and the Pheonix at Denmark Hill station. In terms of pubcos, they're better than some although obviously not a patch on some of the local operators.

I've only been in one once, and it was no better or worse than any other chain pubs I thought.

But Charles, it's not a local little business and so isn't in keeping witht the awfully special vilage feel we have down here in ED don't you know... blah blah blah blah

They're pretty dire aren't they.

All shiny surfaces with music loud enough that it bounces of every surface setting your teeth on edge and rendering you unable to hear any conversation.

Plus overpriced with terrible clientele, but that may be more to do with the fact that the only time I ever venture into one is when out-of-towners organise meet-ups in the west-end in a bloody AB1.

Compared to Letchworth I guess it is the height of salubrity. "Wow, look, they're playing Bloc Party and the pumps are chrome!!!!"

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've only been in one once, and it was no better

> or worse than any other chain pubs I thought.

Agreed. Well, the only one I ever really went to regularly was in Wimbledon, which was alright compared to most of the local watering holes. At least there was one barman who'd always remember our drinks and have a chat.

It could be worse: it could be Slug and Lettuce.

Yes the beer's fine, but they're so terribly terribly formulaic, and it's a very tired formula (slug & Lettuce, pitcher & Piano etc).

Plus I think they introduced those horrid silver platters to the pub world, so yes, just like the bish

chrome pumps? tick

silver platters? tick

cute barmaids? tick (not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that of course)

--snip--

lacking atmosphere? tick

can't hear yourself think? tick

sound system tuned into radio 1? tick

Do you think the residents of ED need more bars & the associated noise/ disturbance/ detritus / congestion that comes with a new bar ?

many feel that things have got worse since late licences & new places have opened on LL for many of the streets that run into LL

( serious question - not a snorky off tanget rant )