The parcel sorters are lying to us

I like the guys in Sylvester road always very friendly but the backlog which was created by the strike which wasnt very popular in the first place has been created by them. I used to shop on the internet but definately wont be doing so this christmas and a lot of people I know wont be, its just not reliable anymore. This is all bound to result in job losses at the royal mail. I have no sympathy for them. My point is based on the fact that the strike seemed to me to be about them being angry at not being able to go home when they'd finished their delivery instead of working their contacted hours. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't say the posties were blameless in any of this poindexter but to lay the whole blame at their door seems a bit much

The media has focused on the "they do a 7.5 hour day but if they finish their round in 4 they just go home" angle. And where that happens there is certainly room for improvements - but that "spare" time is where postmen get their previous ability to go out of their way with people on the doorstep

If you have a round of x addresses, and that has been the round since year dot, then if you are asked to do round x, + say, 50% of round y (to make up your full working day) then that seems find from efficiency but

a) you won't have a postman/woman with time to linger/dawdle/chat/flirt/help with the cat with

b) those margins will be squeezed ever further

If the country could afford, in the past, with all of these "spanish practices" a postal service with several deliveries a day, happier customers and happier workers, you have to ask what has changed?

Of course this could apply across many other "services" - many of us bemoan call-centre culture (and that was when it was in the UK before being off-shored) but it's the same top-down management practices

You can therefore

Complain about the cost of the service

OR

Complain about the lack of service

But not both

I've had a reply from Tessa Jowell, saying she's been looking into the postal problems since as early as October, and she'll keep looking into them; she's acknowledged that the problems are worse than the strike would seem to justify. This seems to be good news.

She also forwarded me a letter dated October 29th, in which a Royal Mail staffer assures her that they're looking into the problem. This staffer cites the word of Tony Phelan by way of explaining what's going on at street level; as Mr Phelan is the one who decided the dishonest 'you were out' card system should be used in the first place, I'm not sure his word is completely trustworthy. I've written back to her pointing that out, and I've also sent her a copy of our Postwatch complaint letter detailing exactly what happened when, so she can have a clear idea of the problem from the customers' point of view.

If anyone else has time to send Ms Jowell a detailed account, it might help her get an accurate picture, factoring in the customers' side of the story as well as the post workers, when she looks into this.

I'd personally be willing to pay more for better service; the service before the post office was privatised was much better, for a pretty similar price to now. What I resent is paying a fair amount for no service at all. It's hardly 'going out of your way' to deliver parcels to the houses they're addressed to.

Just to give credit where it's due, a couple of months' ago, our local postie in Peckham came to the church office because he had delivered to a house where the keys were in the door. He had knocked but got no reply but knew she was one of our ladies. Indeed, she is very deaf and had recently come out of hospital. He and I entered together and found her safe, but very exhausted and collapsed on a sofa. She could have been burgled or worse had it not been for the darling postie taking the time and trouble to do something.

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Once again, I'll put in a good word for my postie.

> He just gets on with it, is cheerful but not too

> ebullient, friendly, efficient and he doesn't drop

> red laccy bands. Nero

ah thanks for solving a longstanding mystery Nero. I thought those elastic bands on my step every morning were being pinged at my door by pesky SE22 15-year-olds on their way home from the pub.

I have the strong impression that the posties and desk staff are doing their best in the face of bad orders from higher up the chain. Probably they're also getting the most abuse from irritated customers as well, even though it's not their fault. I think the higher-ups are giving a raw deal to post workers and customers both.

I have had huge problems with not only this, but my post not being delivered at all. I spoke to royal mail to complain (also had the experience of being cut off automatically) and reported this issue. I was told an email had been sent to the sorting office. I said I wasn't happy with that as the sorting office was the problem, could I have a copy of the complaint as sent and the name of the person it had been sent to so I could follow it up. The complaints team said they don't give out that information. So I asked when I would hear what was being done to resolve the issue - they said no, that the email was all they could do and that there was no individual that would take responcibility for the management of this complaint. the situation is becoming untenable, with most of my post never being deliveredat all.

Interestingly, having spent the last week complaining to MPs, journalists, complaints lines, Postwatch and this place, I suddenly got an avalanche of long-awaited parcels on my doormat today - in fact, the postmen came round twice. It might be coincidence, but I'm inclined to suspect that the complaints might have had something to do with it...

That is interesting. I'm inclined not to complain in case the posties find out and get the hump and decide to fillet my letters for cheques and stamp on my parcels even more than normal. That suggests they have ways of finding out who is complaining and 'doing something about it' for good or ill.

I'd see it that they would make more of an effort to make sure you're getting your post as they know they're likely to lodge a complaint if you don't, unlike the guy next door who never complains even though the postie doesn't deliver those interesting and possible worth something packages. Or they'd piss in your letter box.

I did worry that I might be subject to some kind of postal vengeance for complaining, but thinking about it logically, knowing that I'm a complainer who makes a fuss when the parcels don't arrive, and that it's a crime to tamper with post, they'd stand to lose far more than I did if anybody did get a vindictive urge. I might lose a parcel, but they'd lose their jobs; those aren't odds anyone sensible would play. Also I doubt most people are that vindictive; mostly they just want to do their jobs and go home. Complaining hopefully ups the chances that they can't go home till they've done the job properly, but doesn't provoke counter-attacks.

Odd.

The US is the most Free markety country on earth ( apart from Somalia, but thats another discussion ), yet they resolutely keep the Postal service protected and prioritised - crimes aginst the Postal services are heavily punished.

Whereas we seem to want to wash our hands of it - its not surprising thet ED posties share their sweaty handed bosses l;ack of commitment to the whole industry.

No one wants to work for the PO any more.

A couple of times recently the mail was sticking out of our letterbox when we came home, which was a clear indication to people with criminal intent that we were out. The last time it happened I chased after the postie to tell him not to do it again. He seemed to be about 19 years old and didn't really seem to get the point I was making. Was he one of the temps or casuals?

I think the complaints are working .... ! Dare I speak too soon ... ? A post van arrived at lunchtime today and three posties got out with trolleys and were delivering post up and down the streets around Colyton Road. There was already a postie delivering on our street!

I also got a whole mountain of post last week which contained all the missing items I had been waiting over a month for!

Fingers crossed that this improvement in service continues!

Glad to hear that Tessa Jowell has been interested in our plight too!

I just want the birthday card that was sent to me at the beginning of November. Tried to complain but was told that only the sender and do that.

As the sender, my father, is 86 and rather frail it probably isn?t going to happen. Gave up on the local post a long time ago when ordering stuff from the web. Get it sent to work or a North London friend instead.

Good luck with the campaign.