bakery?

ziggy

hirst is shite ! Place bakeries was very like greggs . chris kennedy had refused a buy out from the guys who run innocent{fruitrinks and smoothies } maybe some things should just end ? maybe when you run your own business for many many years you dont want to see it transformed into a parody of a 'kennedys' ie ye olde vintage sausage shop how ever good the graphics are

doe any one remember the sainsburys in peckham /rye lane complete with mahogany fittings and marble shelves and a cashiers/clerks office at the rear ? it survived until about 1987 ish

sainsburys tesco et all have alot to answer for rurally and in urban areas . they would like to do every thing even banking and insurance as well as bread and cakes......are e going to let them i have nt set foot in the dkh branch for over a year !!!

I remember the olde Sainsbury's in Peckham, which is now the Clarks show factory. It was the very last traditional J Sainsbury store with counter service for every product. A pleasure to shop in. It's a shame Chris Kennedy cannot find the urge to change things for himself, but I guess he has genuinely had enough of the business. The bizarre thing is the product is of a very high standard and if only he could diversify some of the product range it would survive. I think the biggest problem for them is that they are based in areas which no longer have the need for these types of traditional shops. Camberwell Green, Walworth Road, Croydon.. Very much like Peckham all these areas have undergone considerable change and I think they should have seen these changes happening and moved into areas like ED before it was inevitable they would lose their customer base. Such a shame, oh well thats the cut throat world of business for you!

Louisa.

>>By the way, there used to be 3 or 4 bakeries - Place Bakeries - up the Lane, and one by one they shut, largely the >>Sainsbury's factor I think.<<

Mr Place retired - if I recall correctly he lived in a house at the junction of Mount Adon Park and Lordship Lane. His actual bakery was behind the row of shops oppostite the Harvester and he had about 5 shops in all, including one in Dulwich Village and the one that is now Hirsts. When he retired the shops I think were sold off separately - I am not sure there was a "Sainsburys' factor" - or not much of one anyway. It's just thee quality dipped...

Hirst and Sons is actually good for organic bread. Not a wide variety, but if you want a good size simple sliced organic loaf from an indie shop for about ?1.80 then H&S is the place to go. I used to buy all my bread at EDD and Cheese block but it was too expensive to be buying week in week out. Now I get my bread from H&S and reserve the EDD and CB bread for "special days".

luddite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> chris kennedy had refused a buy out from

> the guys who run innocent{fruitrinks and smoothies

> }

Luddite, not quite true but you are on the right track. A very good friend of mine who used to work for innocent tried to talk to Kennedys, with a view to investing in them and trying to re launch them into their former glory. It would have been an independant thing rather than directly linked to innocent. Did you read the piece in Time Out? It was slightly misleading.

Anyway, they absolutely didn't want to know and now that the closure is public news many subsequent offers have been made to no avail.

macroban Wrote:

> > that's a silly class-ridden attitude that

> belongs in another era.

>

> Not for the pensioner who is unlikely to be able

> to afford more than 5% of her pension on a single

> loaf of bread.

I can kind of understand your point of view, as shops like this obviously are not catering to a substantial portion of the local population. However, there is still Safeways, Sainsburys, Iceland etc where you can get bread and other staples very cheaply. There is still a choice, so I don't really "get" the argument against it.

Well I suppose the argument is why should 'quality' food have to be at a premium? But actally I think the argument is the other way round, we have all got so used to, and come to expect, cheap, readily available food that is mass produced with poor quality ingredients to ensure its cheapness, that when something comes along that is good quality which is reflected in the price (plus a quid for profit) people get pissed off.

I've recently got a bread maker and am happily churning out my own organic loaves at around ?1 a pop all in so won't be a regular at the bakers.

It is important to note though the difference in a good loaf of bread and the mass produced shit we get fed from the supermarkets and if this bakers is producing a small-scale quality product it will be reflected in the price.

I will apologise in advance for the very obvious plug of the wintergreen fair but it is for a good cause in this particular thread. Someone mentioned a good bakers in Herne hill,if its the Kindred bakery,they will be at the wintergreen fair on Saturday with a stall,we also have the very fine jacks coffee house with bacon sarnies and soup who incidentally use Kindreds bakers.

Enough plugs sorry >:D<

Bacon sarnies? I'll be there.

Now - can't remember who it was on 1st page but someone said Ayres is not as good as it was. Yes it bloody is. It's just more expensive. Price of raw materials and so on and like that there yaknow for sure but.... stuff is still good there. Only gripe I have is they don't do organic bread. But their stuff is still fabulous. What's wrong with ya!

point taken horse box i think it was timeout ...a great shame nay its part of our south london history

theres a nice bakery in crystal palace not sure about their bread but their cakes are yummy so im sure their bread will be good its called blackbird bakery i think

Badgers Bakery at the Dulwich Library end of LL is good- various types of bread (organic/rye etc) reasonable price.

Do a good line in celebration cakes which have to be ordered. You can get Polish bread in Vals Grocers next to Red Apples newsagents.

I'd like to see a general return to good bread. The bread we all had before the 'Chorleywood process' (CBP) arrived. CBP allowed manufacturers to sell us tasteless industial cardboard and air. Real bread is not 'poncey'; it's what everyone bought and ate before 1961.

luddite Wrote:

ry in crystal palace not sure

> about their bread but their cakes are yummy so im

> sure their bread will be good its called blackbird

> bakery i think

Ahh... come to think of it, aren't these the people behind the bread and cake on the Northcross road stall?