New coffee chain in ED

karter

helena handbasket Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And here I thought the oddly large instant coffee

> section at Sainsbury's was the "most depressing

> experience a coffee drinker can have".

>

> Just thinking about Nescafe "Gold" makes me

> giggle. I don't love Starbucks but let's get

> real.

Well instant coffee doesn't really count as coffee does it? I'd seriously rather go withoutvhan drink Starbucks though, it's a crime against coffee!

karter Wrote:

> Katie, i dont do gin. Which coffee would you

> drink?

In no particular order, I like coffee at:

Scoop (ice cream parlour)

Homemade (Barry Rd)

Gastronomia (across from the Plough)

Blue Mountain

Green & Blue

Stall at North Cross market

French Cafe on Forest Hill Road

Cafe on the Rye

Prettys

There are plenty other local places I've yet to try for coffee too...

Edited to add one I can't believe I forgot. Btw, I don't think the chain coffee place we have here is the worst of the chains either.

Yes, we need really good coffee here, for those who are interested in really good coffee, it should not come as a surprise that there are no cafes in ED on this map, closest being Browns of Brockley.

http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com/2010-london-coffee-map.html

In terms of chains, no more high street chains please. Don't get me wrong, we sometimes go to Nero but not because the coffee is great, but rather that it is child friendly and most other local alternatives are just not that much better when it comes to coffee.

If it has to be a chain I would welcome a branch eg by Fernandez and Wells, Milk/Flat White, Monmouth or why not an outlet by local coffee rosters Vulcano (coffee already sold by Franklins farm shop and cafe in ED warehouse).

I'll be the second to say i like starbucks on occasion. I don't like all of their coffees but i like their range of sweet coffees i.e. syrups etc.

most coffees depend on the person making it rather than the cafe its coming from.

i find the cafe in ED warehouse to be the most consistent, but i also really like Jacks.

Had a coffee in Il Mirto today on account of Scoop being shut. It was a bit dead but coffee was excellent! Proper strong Italian coffee. And only ?1.50! Highly recommended as long as you don't mind it being a bit quiet (other than people shouting at each other in Italian in the kitchen...).

There is an alot of coffee snobbery to be found. It is usually to be found in those who spit on Supermarkets and prefer their vegetables dirty and expensive.

I like Starbucks, its a non challenging brew that I am happy to drink when I have no time for masturbatory reflections on the melange of taste sensations to be found in my low fat cappucino. Which is most of the time.

I like Nero to, every so often they give me a free coffee, when I have enough little stampy things on my special card.

Jack's does the best coffee I've had in East Dulwich.

I drink my coffee black and so many places I would struggle to tell there was any real coffee in the cup - could be instant for all the body to it. All of the chains seem to put too much water in for the quantity of coffee - feel like I should ask for espresso if I want it to taste of anything.

Perhaps it doesn't notice so much if you are smothering the coffee with milk, chocolate sprinkles, syrups and sugar etc, but if it's plain black you can notice the variation pretty quickly.

Like indiepanda I drink my coffee black and struggle to find coffee that is strong enough without ordering an espresso! Amongst others, I have had good coffee at Jack's, Homemade, Bambuni, ED Warehouse, Dark Fluid Coffee (Brockley Market) and Luca's but each time it depends who makes it... The quality of coffee has as much to do with the barista and the machine they're using as it does the coffee beans.

The product is ok (ish) but I just hate everything else that Starbucks stands for as a corporation. for example, their Fair Trade stance just feels like lip service to keep shareholders happy they're meeting corp social responsibility targets.

I'm surprised if they are looking as they were actually shrinking 2 years back and closed almost 1000 stores worldwide after over expanding. Nero's is busy(ish) on Saturday's and at some points during the day (with mums) but its also empty a fair chunk of the time. So not much market share to grab really is there?

MrBen Wrote:

>

> I'm surprised if they are looking as they were

> actually shrinking 2 years back and closed almost

> 1000 stores worldwide after over expanding.

Must be all the profit from Paternoster Sq. and a sponsorship deal with the Occupy group.

I work from home, but have building works at the moment so have been hanging out in Nero. It is packed form 08:30 on, very hard to get anywhere suitable to sit with a laptop most of the day. Whilst I'd personally rather keep local businesses rather than chains, I have no doubt that there is more than sufficient demand during the week for another coffee shop to do well as long as it has suitable seating to use computers and provides internet access.