Franklins

One of 2 threads I'm starting about a couple of individual businesses in the area - I had a look and couldn't find one for Franklin's in existence despite a few mentions in other threads, so....

I've eaten there many a time and always been impressed but taking some friends there on Sat night, we were treated to one of the best meals I have ever had - and just wanted to give them a shout

The food was start-to-finish top-notch, and the service was exemplary and we ended up leaving the biggest tip I've ever left...

That is all. I', sure someone will chime in with a bad experience they had there but just had to give credit where it's due

(obviously I've been on here long enough for people to know I have no connections with the place whatsoever, in case anyone is wondering)

Have always favoured Franklins above Palmerston, but had a terrific meal in the palmerston this saturday. The lamb was absolutely sensational.

The grief I always have with the pair of them (Franklins and Palmerston) is the wine list. I know you have to expect prices to be hiked up, but it's ridiculous (in my humble opinion). A bottle of firefinch red which is around ?7 in shops, is ?23 in the Palmerston.

Big fan myself. Good food always. Wonderful staff - friendly, knowledgeable and pleased to see you whether you're in for a beer or the full dining experience. Great with kids too anytime we're taken ours in. Had one bad experience after crab soup but have had many many delicious ones.

Actually, I like drinking here a lot - there are nights when a quiet few bottles of wine in Franklins hit the spot better than a livelier pub session elsewhere on Lordship Lane. The place gets name-checked as a worthwhile boozer on this website, from the travel journalist Ian Merchant: http://www.ianmarchant.com/index.htm

Only gripe is that whenever I've asked for one of the (by no means cheap) bar snacks from the blackboard, there hasn't been a single occasion when the chef hasn't been "too busy" to knock one up - even when there are only two or three tables occupied in the main restaurant.

Flong - never had a problem with the bar snack refusenik chefs myself. You must just have been unlucky.

Love the black pudding on toast - often a Spanish version which is great. Scotch woodcock great too (scrambled egg on toast with anchovies) and the welsh rarebit is, I am sure, the same recipe as the one at St John's in Smithfield - sublime. The brunch on Saturdays is also worth a try.

My favourite restaurant in the whole of East Dulwich - in fact my favourite restaurant full stop. And I enjoy a good chin-wag at the bar as well when not going for a meal in the restaurant.

Yes! nothing like a roast (veggie) and several bottles of red after a night of excess. I can always eat.

It was fun sitting with a jolly crowd scoffing away and feeling a bit fluffy whilst people wandered around looking at the antiques etc around us (depending on where the table was).

Just got back from another great meal at Franklins. My only complaint is that the service was not good, mainly due to the fact that they seemed way understaffed (only two waiting staff and the place was packed). It's a great restaurant but for the prices they charge I expect more than just high quality food.

Funny, I was there last night too and thought the service was slow.

The food was excellent, but given that the prices are on a par with Chez Bruce (steak, chips and greens for ?25 + service is pretty expensive in my book), I will probably be going back there again in the future instead. Nice local bistro type atmos, way overpriced.

It would be a bargain at ?30 for 2 courses.

At ?7/8 for a starter, then ?15 - ?19 for a main (without potatoes or veg - so another ?3/6) you;re already talking about ?25 - ?30 ish plus service, and thats without any water/wine/pudding/coffee. Its good, but it is pricey.

I agree with Mellors - and to an extent with Christopher.

It is the best eaterie on the strip, but a little too inconsistent in service and quality to warrant unbridled praise.

It is also, IMO, expensive for what and where it is.

You can eat better and cheaper in stunning surroundings with top service at Yauatcha in Soho - and that's got two Michelin stars. The only reason Franklins can get away with charging what it does, is that it hasn't got any real competition. There isn't one single restaurant anywhere in ED that one would travel an hour to get to because it is so good. That's not a problem if ED were full of value for money, 'neighbourhood restaurants' with simple, appetising food at appealing, everyday prices - but it isn't. Come on ED, sort your act out.

BM

PS: If you want benchmark places, try St John Bread & Wine in Spitalfields, Pham Sushi on Whitecross St - even The Herne strikes a good balance - but the strip is sadly lacking...

Bald,

I entirely agree. Franklins is good but it is too expensive, by about 15%, and that's because the other places in and around LL are not in the same league, apart from Palmerston's, but that's a posh pub. If there were a good bistro, ie. if Le Moulin were more like Franklins (I am not calling for it to change, Moulin fans, just asking you to make believe for a while), then the competition might get Franklins to shape up.

And the village is awful for food, and I wish that would change. Bloody Pizza Express, Le Piaf and Cafe Rouge are not what I would like to see. I could put up wth two of them, but to have three chain-like restos in such a small and well-off place is awful.

So, budding restaurant entrepreneurs, if you are reading this, or if you know anyone who's thinking of setting up a decent bistro, then point them in this direction to read this support. Nero

• 2 weeks later...

I have frequented Franklins for a while now and have generally always had a lovely lovely time. I think the bread is great and the devilled kidneys on toast is lovely.

The last time I went though, I did encounter very poor service. I think a lot of this has been due to the opening out of the bottom floor - it just seems they are understaffed for the amount of covers they now have. And, it can be pretty expensive for dishes - I do think the steak is at the higher end of things, even though it is very nice. But generally, I do really like it.

I visited Franklins on Saturday, between Christmas and New Years and it was very good. What a lot of people dont realise is that you dont have to sit in the restaurant at the back. You can just take one of the informal tables at the front and order off the same menu. I just had a couple of starters. And a nice bottle of red too. Sometimes I have cooked at home for friends then all piled down there just for dessert. I find the 2 person tables at the back a bit claustrophobic. But thats my only minor gripe. I like sitting out front in summer too with a pint. Good spot.

Was in Cafe Rouge recently for my dads birthday and was amused by the 'Allo allo' dodgy accents. I could understand them but when i asked one of the waiters if he could actually speak any french he replied something in a braod scots accent which i could not understand. Thankfully, he reverted back to the 'Allo Allo' accent so i could understand what he was saying.