Moving to ED

Gingerbeer

I would absolutely love to see a 6 3" girl in heels (with red hair) tap dance.

.We don't have 24 hr Gyms (lord no "radio rental" or what)

.You can run a tab by putting your card behind the bar at some of the nicer places

.Wearing sling backs on large "plates" is not recommended

Why have I/we gawn awl Dik Van Dyke cocknaaay.

Welcome. ( & do you look a bit bonkers in your photo(tu) )

NETTE:-S

Gingerbeer, having survived the welcoming banter of the intelligencia of the East Dulwich Forum, I am guessing that you will fit in very well.

We havent had a Forum drinks for some time, I might suggest that when GB arrives, we (collectively) meet for a welcoming snifter? There are always groups of us drinking somewhere. How hard could it be to organise something? :-S

GB - you must remember that we English are for the most part not as tall or shiny as Americans, this being due to a lifelong diet of suet and tea. Neither of which are of any nutritional value. The Scots, Welsh and Irish are similarly stunted, but drink more. Gymnasia are mostly used as polling stations and so are visited once every 4 to 5 years by the general populace.

Dont worry about it though, the place is full of Australians and New Zealanders who are also tall and shiny but normally have native tatoos to reflect that tribal origins. Odd as most of them descend from Victorian villains from Whitechapel.

You really have to like a curry. Surviving in East Dulwich is quite difficult if you dont like a curry.

Geography of ED is quite easy. It is bisected by Lordship Lane, which runs North-South(ish) uphill from Goose Green (quite green , no geese but we have parakeets) toward Forest Hill (hillyish, no forest).

Westside ED is posh, next to Dulwich village and Dulwich park. Very fertile area, lots of young parents.

Eastside ED is more common, next to Nunhead (famous for having a Victorian cemetary).

Southend (uphill) has the Horniman Museum (no sniggering), which is an interesting way to spend a wet Sunday afternoon.

Northend (downhill) has the aforementioned Goose Green and the East Dulwich Tavern.

A little further north is Peckham. Famous for stabbings.

You are arriving at a nice time, the summer is slowly starting. The good people of ED are to be found sitting outside the East Dulwich Tavern, attempting to turn their pasty, spotty skins into an interesting salmon pink. An exercise made all the more interesting by the exhaust fumes of the 37, 40, 176 and 185 buses.

We have a remarkable number of curry restaurants. About 12 on and around Lordship Lane. Nobody can agree which is the best. There is a fine Curry Club which meets on a monthly basis, organised on this very Forum. Its a good way of meeting people. Quite strange people, but they are people. Mostly.

Its lovely.

> A little further north is Peckham. Famous for

> stabbings. and yoof riots and arson and a leading location in the urban grime scene. + JD Sports where you can get kitted out in the latest slick young folks fashions. Also home to the greatest number of Pound Shops per square mile of any place in the UK. Though purists may take umbrage at the 99p shops being included.

>

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Eastside ED is more common, next to Nunhead

> (famous for having a Victorian cemetary).

>

"Eastside!"

*breaks finger trying to replicate hand gesture once seen on MTV*

In this case 'common' does not (thank heavens) seem to imply that it recurs regularly, but rather that it's nondescript, of little intrinsic value, underachieving and disposable;-)

Unlike as in 'the common tit' - which is suprisingly regular in Singapore.

A Common Tit

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/AB103_Hypolycaena_erylus.JPG/320px-AB103_Hypolycaena_erylus.JPG

Nette-- youre right I do look a little bonkers in the pic! :) I figured my look of slacked-jawed indecision as I pondered "Do I look at the computer screen or the camera?" was as good as any. However, I am making an attempt to work my way back to coolness by posting one of me in a ninja bunny hat. Thats ninja bunny, not terrorist! :D

Michael--- if Americans are shiny, it is only due to our obsession with tanning, dental implants and plastic surgery. It makes our skin so tight we reflect, causing glorious beams of light to eminate wherever we go.

ibilly--- its no wonder I didnt know who the Jets were. Long ago I blocked out all knowledge of West Side Story, as it ranks (in my mind at least) only below Oklahoma! as one of the worst musicals ever made. Now a musical such as 7 Brides for 7 Brothers I can get behind: I have to consider it a success that producers were able to find that many gay men in Hollywood willing to dye their hair bright red. Those boys dont like to f*** around with their dos. (Can I swear here?)

Another question--- Are the stereotypes of the English constantly swilling tea true? To go by depictions in movies etc. you people drink tea like its some kind of missing lifeblood. Can anyone really drink that much tea?