Has anyone received their garden/brown bin sticker?

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Where this has really gone wrong is if you have

> paid up and subscribed but do not yet have a brown

> bin but do have some brown bags.

>

> It is not clear if your brown bags will be

> collected in the usual way, until such time as a

> brown bin appears? And, once the bags run out are

> you expected to buy more until the brown bin

> appears? I am hoping and assuming that it is not

> now a case of having to buy more bags as well as

> organise pick-ups, despite having paid for the

> garden waste service?

I left brown bags out for the last two weeks and these were collected. Not initially on the intended day this week and neither was the food waste collected, but I reported a missed collection and they were collected a couple of days later.

Do we keep the brown bins if we aren't paying for a subscription? Seems a strange system

They (Southwark) are meant to collect unstickered bins (presumably for re-issue for those who want one and don't have one) - of course they should be swapping them out for the kerb-side food waste caddies (with about 3-4 times the capacity of the kitchen caddies) for those who don't have them, and issuing additional kerb-side food waste caddies for those keeping their large brown bins for garden waste.

I suspect those logistics may defeat them. At the moment we all continue to put all our organic waste in the one brown bin we may have, of whatever size. At some (by no means clear) stage we must not mix food and garden waste.

Are there any instructions on where on the bin to put the sticker?

> Not sure what the objection to uncooked food waste added to garden waste would be.

The answer seems to be in the DEFRA document cited at https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,2016023,2034657#msg-2034657. Food waste goes to anaerobic digestion, which is apparently cheaper than garden waste composting, and is able to produce biofuel. Whether that makes putting a banana skin in the garden waste only a minor misdemeanour, I'm not sure.

ianr Wrote:

> Are there any instructions on where on the bin to

> put the sticker?

The instructions are on the backing paper of the sticker

It goes at the back of the bin. I.E. under the handle. It needs to be facing / visible from the street.

Foxy

This was a response received regarding the brown bin situation.

"As the stickers are now arriving we have not yet started removing brown bins. We will give people a further chance in case they have missed the notifications somehow (by leaving reminder hangers on the bins) and will then start removing those not paid for."

Left hand, right hand comes to mind

Regards

Councillor Richard Livingstone

Cabinet Member for Environment, Transport Management & Air Quality

Labour Councillor for Old Kent Road ward

London Borough of Southwark

worldwiser Wrote:

> I can't say anyone on our road has ever put their

> bins either in the street or facing handle out

> within their front yard. Not one person ever. So I

> doubt this will catch on...

You are lucky that your bins have been collected then worldwiser and just be grateful that they are. The bin people have a lot to contend with on their collections and the collection details have been on the Southwark website/common sense for years now.

No one has ever asked me to or complained that we don't in 15 years and, like I say, no one on our road has ever done this. We have barely enough room in our yard to store the bins at all and if we put them on the pavement there'd hardly be enough room for pedestrians. Buggies would find it totally impassable. I consider myself content that they collect the bins because I pay them to.