Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

Love all the parking fears - especially those coming from the people who only a few months ago claimed that there weren't any parking problems at the other end of Melbourne Grove and voted against the CPZ....

All different now isn't it.....

Ho hum

garnwba Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Love all the parking fears - especially those

> coming from the people who only a few months ago

> claimed that there weren't any parking problems at

> the other end of Melbourne Grove and voted against

> the CPZ....

>

> All different now isn't it.....

>

> Ho hum

Splitters!

garnwba Wrote:

> Love all the parking fears - especially those

> coming from the people who only a few months ago

> claimed that there weren't any parking problems at

> the other end of Melbourne Grove and voted against

> the CPZ....

>

> All different now isn't it.....

>

> Ho hum

Yawn. So you know who's responsible for "all" these parking fears and where they live? Don't forget, the CPZ was going to reduce the number of parking spaces in the area. Oh, and don't forget that the anti-CPZ argument was not that "there weren't any parking problems", but that the CPZ didn't address them rationally or proportionately.

How's the traffic/parking audit of local schools and businesses going? Yeah, I thought it wouldn't happen... So it was CPZ or nothing. Ho hum.

Oh for the love of god, is this forum entirely populated by imbeciles? I've never heard such hogwash. So:

1) Ready meals aren't inherently unhealthy

2) Knocking up a spag bol in 15 minutes (hmm, can't think it's particularly tasty, tomatoes take a good while to cook to umami goodness) is still more time consuming that sticking a tray in the oven, because once you've stuck said tray in oven, you can piss off for 15 minutes and do something else

3) M&S food = good; all other supermarkets food = bad. What tosh - does anyone ever read an actual taste test? (come on Observer readers, there's one in OFM every month) Some M&S food good, some other-major-retailer food better. There's nothing across the board about it.

4) People who haven't used the local shops previously will suddenly do so because while confronted with cheese and meat in M&S, they will think, "No, I have only come here for my Indian banquet for 2, I will purchase my butchery from yon butchers, and my fromage from the monger of cheese across the way." Bollocks - you didn't before, you won't now, You're driving, you're in the car park, you'll get your plastic-wrapped, perfectly adequate mild cheddar and pound of mince and feck off back to Sydenham.

Ye gads - does the very idea of convenience food lower the collective IQ?

"True - lived around the corner from the Brixton M&S for a couple of years and often mingled with the 'waiting-for-that-pimply-looking-lad-with-the-cage-full-of-reduced-items-to-put-the-stuff-out-on-the-shelves' crew that assembled around the doors at a certain time in the pm (no I'm not giving that away!)."

Snap! I lived in Shannon Grove for 14 years and often nipped in to M&S for the reductions once they started doing them. It was the first M&S in London, I think.

I completely disagree with your point no 4, RosieH. I usually do my food shopping in M&S or Waitrose in Bromley or Beckenham. If there was a decent supermarket in Lordship Lane I would shop there on a regular basis, rather than travel so far. If I did my main food shopping in LL, then I would also use the clothes and gift shops nearby far more often, rather than the shops in the Glades etc. A new M&S certainly wouldn't make me use the butcher, but I would be far more inclined to go across the road to shops such as SMBS; I very rarely go there at the moment because while they sell a wonderful range of foods, I can make do with other products from Waitrose etc which might not be quite as good, rather than have the inconvenience of shopping in Bromley/Beckenham AND LL. I would also be more likely to get a takeaway from one of the Indian or Chinese restaurants in LL when I did my shopping, rather than phone for a home delivery from a takeaway in Forest Hill.

My main concern is for ED's poorest families who may shop at Iceland for a few bargains, including some of the frozen ready meals. Peckham won't be an option for some people to shop at as that store is particularly busy.

If M&S Simply Food does replace Iceland, it'll cement the gentrification of ED.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> My main concern is for ED's poorest families who

> may shop at Iceland for a few bargains, including

> some of the frozen ready meals. Peckham won't be

> an option for some people to shop at as that store

> is particularly busy.

>

> If M&S Simply Food does replace Iceland, it'll

> cement the gentrification of ED.

ED would need a Waitrose and Wholefoods for that. Motorway service stations have M&S shops and they are hardly gentrified.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> My main concern is for ED's poorest families who

> may shop at Iceland for a few bargains, including

> some of the frozen ready meals. Peckham won't be

> an option for some people to shop at as that store

> is particularly busy.

I share this concern. My elderly neighbours do pretty much all their shopping there and from what they've said everywhere else is too expensive or too far as they're not very mobile and don't want to have to rely on other people for help.

Gedwina,

It is not apparent the site will include residents parking for eight, if it does then that is okay. If not that is potentially 8 more on the street, plus trade from the car wash, plus deliveries.

Iceland lorries have always been a problem for residents on the street in question.

Nonetheless would not want CPZ and would hate to see this proposal used as a reason to try shoehorn it in again.

Ha! Fourth page before 6pm. StraferJack called it...

I'm not convinced by the argument that people will use the rest of LL more if there's an M+S. On the contrary I think it'll take business away from independent places. But then that's competition for you. Ultimately M+S has a right to open up there if it can reach an agreement. I won't use it because I think its too expensive for what it is, but others will and that's capitalism. I doubt anyone is going out of business over this, but it will put a squeeze on the small folk.

Worker Wrote:

> So we're only concerned about those independent

> shops who sell 'posh' food?

Who is we? Iceland was here long before the 'posh' food shops. So maybe the 'we' are concerned that the newer businesses will suffer from the arrival of M&S.