who is the most musically creative person in the industry

andycam

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Phil Collins, great drummer and even did some

> pretty good stuff with Genesis (and some rubbish).

> But really, come on, solo?

> McDonalds is commercially successful, but that

> doesn't make it good does it?

Yeah it does, how do you think they become commercially successful? - and yeah Phil Collins solo is as creative as his Genesis stuff...

Blinder999 - yeah but some of the opinions are a bit daft and obvious personal choices hence me chosing singers I don't necessarilly like but rate as creative.

Lee "Scratch" Perry who along with King Tubby invented dub/remixing/sampling and whose output has gone into literally thousands of records over the last 45 years and is still going strong. A singer/writer/composer, producer, mixer, engineer, record shop and label owner, dj.... And doing all that way before anyone else.

More recently for the same sort of thing - Soulwax and David Holmes.

Agreed on Tom Waits as well - again many people resent the fact that he went "weird" but I love it.. altogether now "Misery's the river of the world...."

I would make a case for Nick Cave as well - and hearing good things about the new album. Tickets for a May show on sale Friday @9am... hmmm

Asset - you're tight! I forgot... I'll erm... sort something out

Lol! Yeah me too.

I saw a girl in the crowd,

I ran over I shouted out,

I asked if I could take her out,

But she said that she didn't want to.

I changed the sheets on my bed,

I combed the hairs across my head,

I sucked in my gut and still she said

That she just didn't want to.

Have to agree with Damon Albarn as the currently most creative muso. Blur, Gorillaz, the African influenced stuff, and now, if I'm not mistaken another recent project.

Have to agree re Springsteen - underrated in this country because "Born in America" seemed to hit the wrong tone this side of the pond.

Any takers for Michael Jackson?

Despite all the weird stuff, Jackson does deserve a lot of credit for what he did musically. The problem is, he has never been able to move on in the way that Madonna has done. He "reinvented himself" in a very different way!

Modern - Damon Albarn, success and good stuff with several bands

70s - Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of life, Story book, Secret lives of plants(?) pure unaldeterated genius, shame about 1980 onwards

Lee 'Scratch' Perry MAAAAAAAAAAAd but great

60s - Ray Davies

Having wangled a few freebies to see him at the O2 I was blown away by Prince and his band. Maceo Parker was on sax that night and it was incredible. The short one played bass,guitar, drums and piano over the courser of the night all amazingly and effortlessly. And then sang brilliantly too. The aftershow jam went on to 4am - he did another 2 hours to about 500 of us. I'm not a fan, dont own any of his stuff but walked out astonished and with huge respect. So if this thread was about all round talent, genius and showmanship, for me he'd win it.

But the criteria is "musically creative" and for that , in the present, I give you Mr Jack White. A scary modern day Hendrix who can make himself sound like a whole band. And his Raconteurs stuff was great too - 2nd album due out soon I think.

Andy Partridge of XTC.

He's worked with loads of different people, you know. And influenced heaps of others too.

About Nick Cave, he wrote the music for a play I recently saw.

Kafka's Metamorphosis at Lyric Hammersmith by a fabulous Icelandic theatre company.

Fabulous play, brilliant music. Mad ingenius actors!

hi east dullies

some good suggestions there. eno prince cave.agree.occured to me that quincy jones oughta get a mention for being more decades ahead in activity time but still alive and busy.50/60jazz era,miles alla them. 70s themes such as ironside, michael jakson albums hip hop era blah. quite a titan. guy from blurs nicked kuti music gotta long way to go before he's anywhere near that, much though i like the albarn/afrobeat crossings.

lee perry is a good one but hes kinda just done teh same great thing ish all these years. the list of others has many different directions for each. jus throwin quincy J in.

oh cass Einsturzende Neubauten..one of the best things i ever seen was them supporting the bad seeds in rotterdam pandoras box mid 80's. both acts where awesome that night.