Fantasy Lordship Lane

There do seem to be an awful lot of betting shops about. Plenty of Billy Hills for a start: by the station, on LL by chopsticksish, on Crytal Palace Road by the top of North Cross Road, on LL again up by the Plough... and probably some others I've not spotted yet. Then there's the place on LL (left side heading north) with the dodgy paintings of blokes in macs and hats talking to jockeys, and there's the Betfred place near the station...

Phew.

There did used to be a full scale good quality greengrocers on LL until about 3 years ago when that awful Black Cheery bought the business premises up and turned it into a place for the yuppies to sup on half a lager and pretend they are millionaires lol (actually it was just a regular greengrocers not some fancy organic place, so half of the ED crew probably dont miss it)

Louisa

• 4 months later...
Re: Fantasy Lordship Lane

Posted by: fractionater March 13, 09:54AM

OK - what is the purpose of the Hifi shop? - has anyone ever seen anyone buying stuff from there? - I never had!

Is there some other 'purpose' to that shop?

Good question. I went in there to buy an amp one time and it was suggested I might like 10 grand's worth of top end Sony kit. Lovely bloke and everything but maybe he needs to cater a little for the domestic end of the market?

To answer fractionater's question, maybe the store is really a Mr Benn portal to a world of scifi glittery audio fidelity adventures. I'll ask for the changing room next time

What I really really want...

Waitrose - perhaps in place of Iceland - controversial I know

Whistles - for the ladies!

A fab independent bookshop - similar to the one on Belenden Rd perhaps

Pizza resterant - Strada??

Oh.. just imagine!

I would like - my fantasy bookshop:

Knowledgeable staff + selection of new publications + back catalogue of other books + ordering service + an exchange facility for 2nd hand paperbacks (of which I buy too many for bus / train / plane reading) + decent coffee / cakes / newspapers and a general comfortable, quiet lounge area where I can relax of an afternoon.

Occasional poetry & book readings, book ignings and other entertainment would be good + maybe an associated reading group?

The Clipper on Northcross - good cheap haircut

William Rose (though I wish it was closer to Goose Green).

Cheese Block

Dulwich DIY - so friendly and helpful and they'll happily sell you a single tap washer rather than a pack of six like others.

Tandoori Nights

A general lack of high street names - it's what I liked about LL when I first moved here

Put Up With:

Dulwich Garden Centre. Good enough for some needs, but my aren't they a miserable bunch.

Don't Like:

The state of the shops nearer to the station.

The amusement arcade

Have to disagree with you on the Clipper Loz. I went there twice about 18 months ago and felt I was being overcharged for a very bad haircut (not properly cleaned up and shaved, sideburns uneven, still long bits on my fringe, hairline behind my ears uneven, left covered in my hair). I don?t think you should pay more than ?10 for a mens cut and the barber should be good at their craft not just someone who is an ace with a tub of gel.

I might get shot down for this, but I'd quite like a good juice bar... Somewhere to sit and chill out when you don't want to be around beer, and if you don't like coffee (I despise coffee).

Would also like a creperie.... or maybe just a creperie that sells juice!

Lovely freshly squeezed Oragne Juice at mon petit chou,plus they are introducing crepes and breakfasts there.Chandelier,tea rooms which are opening on the 15th of this month will also have juices,and i hear somewhere on northcross road have already started selling juices.

Icelands are good,they sell foods that come in handy if you are looking for something on the go,or if you go in not knowing what you want icelands do have the answer,very impressed with them.

Monica, that's lovely, I really would like to think of Icelands as 'having the answer', but sadly I'm a bit more cynical than you! I have been in previously, looking for something specific (can't remember what it was) and they didn't have it. I'm sure they are fit for purpose on most occasions though...

BM

Iceland do what it says on the label. Somerfield and Sainsburys do not. Getting rid of Iceland so you can create an organic 'butchers, bakers and candlestick makers' scenario is just discrimination against the working classes as far as I am concerned. I would say there are other retail spaces to look at which fit the bill for a waitrose or independent food speciality shop. Iceland are much better than sainsburys waitrose or any UK supermarket in terms of organic and GM free, it's something they guarantee on a large percentage of products, which you are paying less for here, but without the glamour of middle class labels like 'extra special' or 'the best' or 'luxury'.

templeton, I am not against White Stuff. I am against the post which they put up to try and gain free advertising aa few new customers.Ifny other chain did this you would all be up in arms.Iceland are chain yes, but they offer decent deals and the quality of the food is good. The snobbery xressedysomeon here against Iceland is unfounded, as most have never shopped there. White Stuff may well be somewhere I choose to shop, but I dislike the way they are trying to take the route of being fair trade against sweat shops and fashionable to the mobile young middle classes, and then over charging people for their goods which are probably cheaper in Primark or M&S.

My ideal Lordship Lane.

Firstly I would pedestrianise the road from Goose Green roundabout to the Library with a free tram or trolley-bus that shuttled up and down 24hrs a day and a lane for skatesboards, bikes etc. People would also be encouraged to wear those shoes with the little wheels in the heels that kids scoot around on and old folks in runnabouts will be encourage to pimp them with flames down the side etc.