Fantasy Lordship Lane

OK, in response to the 'let's not get too depressing' postings, here's another positive suggestion.

Why not construct a 'fantasy LL' - everyone gets the chance to say what they love about LL, what they would dump, and what new things they'd like to see arrive. I'll start:

LOVE (are caps permissible in this context?!)

I love EDD (though it is an expensive treat, but their hams, cheeses and brownies are great); also love the cheese shop (though it's really hard to make them smile isn't it? or is it just me?) and william rose and moxons. Actually quite happy with cafe nero, but obviosuly not if it's illegally flaunted planning laws. Franklins seems over-priced and variable in its quality, but I guess that it's useful to have one 'posh modern' restaurant on LL. Love Sea Cow, that is mine and Mrs Marauders' favourite and most frequented eaterie. Bishop seems a nice boozer (love their Weimaraner) and Palmerston is OK, but somehow not quite right (food a bit too fussy/pretentious maybe).

HATE

Hate GBB (over-priced and not at all great), hate the dodgy looking amusement arcade, and there are some dodgy looking fast food places that I wouldn't miss either. Also not that keen on the bakery (looks really unhealthy and unapetising) and there are far too many estate agents.

NEW

Wouldn't it be great if there was a nice, buggy friendly, independent(ish) cafe where you could hang out for ages, eating or not as took your fancy - I would vote for a Monmouth Coffee. Also would love to see a Japanese restaurant (Chopsticks - which I realise is Chinese anyway - is very disapointing) - though moxons do regularly have sushi quality tuna and sashimi, which means you can DIY at home. A record shop and a better presented bookshop would also be most welcome. And a nice bakery too.

What's your fantasy?

What is GBB?

Not sure if LL could sustain a Japanese restaurant, most Jap restaurants I know of (with the exception of Yo Sushi, Itsu, etc) rely heavily on Japanese/Asian customers, of which there are very few in the area. There's a very nice, and reasonably priced Japanese in Upper Norwood/Crystal Palace, and it's usually quite empty.

Can't see what's not to like about William Rose, nice meat and pretty cheap. GBK is good too, although pricey. Soda Bread from Irish Shop is nice. ED Deli is good but expensive.

As for don't like, how about those blokes from the Cheese Block? What the hell is the matter with those guys?! They could at least pretend to like their clientelle...

Undecided about Moxons, some items seem to be priced rather too high.

Love:

That LL can support a mix of shops. Iceland, Somerfield, SMBS, Cheese Block and the EDD all have their roles to play, and long may that continue. And Farmer's rocks. Plus there are still lods of places I've yet to explore, which is a bonus.

Hate:

Hm... lack of a men's clothes shop, I suppose. And the reamining boarded-up shops are a shame.

- A Saturday when there's not piles of charity stuff on the pavement outside the shop opposite Somerfield.

- The old Walsh Galzing place tidied up, even though it's empty it's an eyesore. I was looking at it from inside the Bishop the other day and it really is a dump. Could someone ask the owner to do something please and if they own the other empty shops tidy them up too.

- If the phone boxes outside Somerfield aren't used, remove them.

- A cafe/bar incorporating record/CD/music download shop hang out area.

- Close off the access for cars to Northcross Road on a Saturday so the market can expand into the road.

- The street to be paved with gold.

I quite liked the food on my one visit to Gourmet Burger. But it is overpriced, and I didn't really like the fast-food style atmosphere and all the little kids in there. Still, it seems to be a hit with the young families, so they're obviously doing something right.

I absolutely love SMB Foods. I think the guys that work in there are very pleasant and know their produce. I was even given suggestions on what to make with the food I was buying as I paid the other day.

I absolutely hate - all the betting shops.

LOVING:

The cheese block guys are great - regulars get special smiles and good recommendations to boot

SMB is fantastic, urring on the side of expensive for some stuff

Liquorish consistently the most friendly / accomodating bar

Le Chardon - decent french food with a great atmosphere

HATING: (running for cover...)

The squillions of pushcharis and mobile baby vehicles around at the weekend, especially when they try to all get into SNB. Wonderful. Push chair parks to tie up whilst inside shops would be good :)

LITTER - seems pretty bad everywhere in ED

The abandonment of driving skills by anyone entering LL from Friday 6pm- Sunday midnight..really, what happens?? All sorts of displays of terrible driving / lack of consideration etc...

LOVE:

- the fact that the value of my flat has sky rocketed in the last 7 years >:D<

H8:

- The chav's (most likely from Peckham) walking their dogs and fouling our streets and not picking it up!

-The Grotty looking shops opposite the EDT and surrounding the roundabout.

-The Grotty feel on the way to/from the station

-Litter!

-Traffic wardens.

-The lack of hot looking young chicks!... few Milfs about though ;-)

Do the same people who own SMB also own Cheese Block?

Good:

Greetings card shop next to Somerfield (much better than a Clintons any day)

AJ Farmers - always very helpful

Black Cherry

Thai Corner Cafe

Hisar

Northcross Rd greengrocers

Dislike:

Dulwich Garden Centre - overpriced, variable quality, very unhelpful (Alleyns Garden Centre in West Dulwich is good though)

Dirty train station with litter everywhere