Diseases that didn't exist in the 70s

Huguenot

I dont know about thst - Ever seen the Exorcist?

1870 Maybe!

The eponym was bestowed by Jean-Martin Charcot (1825?1893) on behalf of his resident, Georges Albert ?douard Brutus Gilles de la Tourette (1859?1904), a French physician and neurologist, who published an account of nine patients with Tourette's in 1885.

I was reading a book the other day and it mentioned that the pathologising of common conditions really started in the 20th century. People always had difficulties with certain things but these weren't elevated to the status of disease until recently.

What does calling something a disease change about it?

dukesdenver Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Obesity

>

> That Henry VIII was a bit of a porker, though.

Yup. But that was because he ate too much and not blamed on genes or a disease

Really sorry to hear about your friend, e-dealer. Yes, it's not improbable that a good proportion of ME/CFS cases have been misdiagnosed as there's no obligation to run anything other than basic bloodwork to check for anaemia, thyroid/liver issues etc so it ends up being one of those wastepaper bin diagnoses. The ME diagnosis has been around longer than the 70's and is classified by the WHO as a neurological condition with its own ICD code I believe. Esther Rantzen was busy spouting off about it for a while because her daughter was diagnosed with CFS but she turned out to have Coeliac Disease. Someone I know of was left to rot for many years until he was eventually diagnosed with Behcets Disease.

The flip side is a return to popularity of some old favourites like gout (no longer just 'the disease of kings') and attacks of the vapours (DM online).

Next in line is a dismissal of all psychological diagnoses in favour of a return to the purer Hippocratic expression of the four Humours - Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholic & Phlegmatic - to be controlled with blood letting and trepanning which will be available at local hair salons.

"A number 2 and a hole over me left frontal lobe mate please, cheers."