What is East Dulwich Listening to?

capt_birdseye

I am listening to Soul, Jazz Funk and US House. A fellow ED resident and I (amongst others) will be attending the Southport Dance Music weekender this weekend.There are rumours of a certain Stevie Wonder attending!

I've seen many greats there over the years......Donald Byrd, Roy Ayers, Jean Carne, Maze, Beverly Knight (before she lost the heavy brummie accent)and Incognito...to name a few. DJ's Norman Jay, Louie Vega/Masters at Work, Jazzy Jeff, Joey Negro..The list goes on.

I am currently listening to Solar Radio on SKY digital channel 0129 or www.solarradio.com (Great msic) and some great Philly music. My daughter also makes sure I listen to her wheels on the bus CD!!

Where are the soul heads on the forum?

Gotan Project 'Triptico'

4 Hero (nice to see other ED residents like them)

Incognito

Fela Kuti

ABC 'Poison Arrow' 12" Remix

Curtis Mayfield

Prince 'Lolita'

The Specials 'Too Much Too Young'

Loose Ends 'Gonna Make You Mine'

Light of The World 'London Town'

Minnie Riperton 'Le Fleur'

Ian Dury 'What a Waste'

Marvin Gaye 'Heavy Love Affair'

Best Of De La Soul

Mos Def 'Umi Says'

Change 'Hold Tight'

Stephanie Mills 'Whatcha Gonna Do With My Loving'

You know I am Tillie. I got an excellent triple album box set of King Tubby last week for a fiver. Unfortunately I'd already got one of the CDs inside, so you can have the spare copy of Crucial Dub if you want it. Bim! Dub it up stylee>:D

Are there no Rufus Wainwright fans out there? I'm counting the days til the next album...

I like a bit of Liza Minnelli and a few musicals too (start the day with The Producers and you are guaranteed a good 'un).

But they did play All that Jazz from Chicago on the radio last week and I was so excited I danced on my glasses. Life's a little blurry now ...

Couldn't really gel with Rufus Wainwright I'm afraid. I love his sister though.

B*****y M****r F*****g A*******s is such a powerful song, sung right from the heart too that it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It's all about touring with her dad and her realisation that he's a pompous egomaniac who made the rest of the family miserable; laugh a minute!!

Rufus just isn't my thing. Too close to opera for my liking, I can do Antony & The Jonsons, and ex Jonson, Joan as Police Woman is rather good for that moody jazz sound, but Rufus just a step too far for me I guess.

..and good to see you back BB :D

I'm listening to Andrew Bird a lot at the moment.

Ahhh, that's very sweet of you Mockney.

I used to have real problems with Martha but I saw her on Wednesday at the Royal Opera House singing Kurt Weil's Seven Deadly Sins. Wow - she was absolutely amazing, her voice was so well matched with the piece.

Rufus does have his opera moments but there's lots of light pop too. And he's lovely eye candy too!

My first wedding dance was to Rufus - a choreographed jive no less!

I love Martha's voice, but haven't yet heard enough to really judge her stuff.. Only heard a couple of things by Rufus, and not really my bag to be honest.

As Piers says, nice to see you posting again BB.