Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road / Nunhead Lane Signal Modifications Works

As a Colyton Road resident, I would be happy for the council to set up a north only route and a south only route down the full length of each side the Rye and allow traffic to divert down Colyton Road. Even if this was only for busses it would make a difference and reduce the junctions to 3 way (I think rather than 4 way would also improve flow, wouldn't it?).

You could also shift some through Barry Road and onto LL via a number of back routes which would ease congestion and make it less dangerous as people get through quicker and less frustrated at their lack of progress.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting Neilson....just as a temporaray measure. It's crazy that all right turning traffic is being forced through these juctions during these works. And the closure of those through routes some years ago is what increased the use of this junction to near breaking point (at peak times) anyway (not saying that should change tho).

If we're having to suffer it for 8 weeks because you say it's to do with how reliant on the road we are, how does this make us feel better in any way?! The works are still there for all of us rush hour commuter, causing havoc.

I write this from the 63 bus. I have a stopwatch on my phone and we have moved TWO stops in 19 minutes.

I have missed any decent train from Peckham Rye.

Really - 8 weeks of this?

These works are an absolute nightmare - and I can't believe they're going to be carrying on for 8 weeks! I've had to start walking from Dunstan's Road every morning to catch my train, as with all the chaos, you can't rely on the bus to get you there in time. It takes me about 20 minutes to walk it, which isn't too bad - but I'm dreading the morning that it's pouring with rain or snowing!

Like some of us have pointed out Renata....the pressing danger is vehicles, and particularly buses, driving down the wrong side of the road - totally illegal and extremely dangerous. That has to be stopped right away - before someone gets hurt.

Another option might be to divert traffic travelling east to west (at peak hour), so that it doesn't go through the ED Raod junction at all (it can be done by making it turn right or left only, at the other junction of Nunhead Lane and Peckham Rye). In theory it should also help traffic flow from the other way at the ED Road junction, as there would be no barrier to cars turning right at the junction currently being worked on.

Try driving through it Chillaxed at peak hour and you'll have a different view, and if on foot, look out for vehicles coming down the wrong side of the road as you cross.

It's unlikely the works will change anything at peak hours as they do nothing to help the weight of traffic at these junctions. The addition, an extra layer of phasing for right turning vehicles will in fact add to congestion from the other direction. The SCOOT system should make a difference at other times but won't do anything diffently when there are queues of traffic from all directions (as there are at peak hour). Apart from those two changes, there is nothing going to be significantly different at this junction. In fact, the bulk of the ideas proposed through the consultation process (in which I took part) have been ignored.

A bus from Kinsale to the Gardens? Surely its 5 minutes walk?!

dds29 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We live in Kinsale Rd. right next to E. Dulwich

> junction. We learnt about the roadworks the hard

> way on Monday as we had to go up to The Gardens on

> the bus and walk back. The bus driver knew nothing

> about it either.

> Surely we're close enough for a letter? We haven't

> had one yet. And eight weeks. Yikes.

Chillaxed Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had to wait about 5 minutes in a queue to cross

> the junction on Saturday. It had no effect on my

> day whatsoever. Hope the works remedy the problem

> people have been moaning about on here for ages.

I use buses weekdays & on Saturdays during rush-hour.

No comparison.

There is hardly any traffic at all on a Saturday

Was terrible this morning, I get the 363 from Woodvale/langton rise, left early as I know what its like when there are works on that junction from times before. Thought allowing 40 minutes for what would normally be a 10-15 min journey to Peckham rye station would be adequate, but no, still missed my train, & this was at 7 am this morning ! I saw some scary driving too which is worrying when you think of the schools near by, especially frustrated drivers running the zebra crossing when people were waiting to cross :/

Hello. I live on the corner of this junction and while the works themselves have not had any real negative effect on us the temporary pedestrian crossing is becoming a little annoying. Specifically the loud beeping to signal it's safe to cross. We can hear it in our flat at all hours of the day and night as it's quite piercing.

Are the new audible improvements going to be just as loud?

Myself and another woman just crossed east Dulwich rd and tried to walk through the complete mess of temporary barriers that are supposed to provide a pedestrian walkway through to the Rye in the direction of Nigel Rd. The barriers led us to the middle of the road rather than the pavement. We managed to move the barriers and cut through to the pavement but with a buggy or any mobility problem this would be difficult. It's so dangerous and irresponsible to block safe access to pedestrians. I hope there isn't going to be an accident.

8 Weeks, and all this disruption, and the sensible answer (to put a roundabout in, with lights if need be) is still not happening. This could so easily be done if a tiny bit of the corner of the park was stolen.

Also re the junction being so busy that they can't do the work faster - why don't they do the work at night / during the early hours of the morning as they do on Motorways, in order to get it done faster.

I live in Nunhead and work on Barry Road, so (on the days I drive rather than cycle or walk) I am now forced to go around the back, through Colyton Road, then around the back through East Dulwich residential roads in order to get to work. How crazy is that?

I truly despair of this country. A few workman could pull their finger out and do this fast, but rather than put themselves out they are happy to inconvenience hundreds (if not thousands) of us for 8 weeks or more. Causing untold stress, additional pollution whilst cars are sitting there in a traffic jam etc. etc.

It really depresses me.

I agree Nappylady. It is one of the great mysteries to my as to why there are no workers doing any work on roadworks at various times of day and night, and some days no work at all. I do think highway contractors do it deliberately to ramp up the cost (i.e. working part of a day and charging for the whole day). A job that could be done in five takes fifteen and is charged at three times the cost.

I remember from the consultation process that any suggestion that involved using part of the parkside pavements was instantly regected because it was suggested that FOPR would launch a campaign against it (even though the Common isn't part of Peckham Rye Park).

But in essence I agree......much better proposals have been ignored, and very little will be different at this junction once the works finish (and travelling east to west, may even be worse in peak hours).

I can't actually believe everyone on this thread, this is one of the most dangerous junctions i've ever seen, where people have been injured and killed in the past. People have been trying to get the council to do somthing about it for ages. Finally something starts to happen and I actually think every single post on these 2 pages is that of someone bitching and moaning. Incredible!!!!

8 weeks of road works is a small price to pay, shame on all of you