toastED

After reading this post nearly 4 hours after it was posted - with nearly 300 people having viewed without a single comment being made it struck me that the post is far too positive. How dare you /

I will pop in at the weekend, I did look at the menu (prices) - I liked what I saw.

We went there tonight and between the four of us had most of the dishes on offer (plus red and white wine). The bill came to ?100 which I thought was reasonable (and which included a takeaway bottle of wine!). The staff was friendly and the food was imaginative and if high quality, esp. the pork was excellent!

We will definitely go back.

Rianoo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> After reading this post nearly 4 hours after it

> was posted - with nearly 300 people having viewed

> without a single comment being made it struck me

> that the post is far too positive. How dare you /

There's another thread in the Business section with over 400 posts.

sarahemjones Wrote:

> Went for lunch today in the new toastED on

> lordship lane. Highly recommended! Great staff and

> lunch menu! House wine really reasonable too!! All

> in all a great addition to LL...

What i smeant by "LL"

It's Lordship Lane. Otherwise known as 'The Lane' (not by me!)

Kylakevin Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

> sarahemjones Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Went for lunch today in the new toastED on

> > lordship lane. Highly recommended! Great staff

> and

> > lunch menu! House wine really reasonable too!!

> All

> > in all a great addition to LL...

>

>

> What i smeant by "LL"

• 3 weeks later...
We ate there last week and really enjoyed it. Only one criticism: the portions were nowhere near big enough. We are both averagely sized with average appetites but we both came away with the idea that it's great as long as you eat before you go.

usagi Wrote:

> We ate there last week and really enjoyed it. Only

> one criticism: the portions were nowhere near big

> enough. We are both averagely sized with average

> appetites but we both came away with the idea that

> it's great as long as you eat before you go.

Fantastic review by Fay Maschler, notoriously difficult to please. I am sure it will prove annoyingly impossible to get a table now. Love the idea of the wine tombola. Good luck to all involved and well done for putting our great ED on the map yet again.

Cedges Wrote:

> I do not give a hoot what a woman who thinks the

> Sea Cow is 'excellent' thinks. In fact this review

> has put me off trying ToastED on that basis alone.

I'm with you on this Cedges. A positive mention for Sea Cow is hardly a ringing endorsement for a new restaurant.

Louisa.

Oh Dear

A new and uniquely quirky restaurant/bar opens in ED, and the keepers of the Sacred Flame of Mediocrity want to stone the blasphemers.

I declare an interest. I've stopped by in Toasted for a glass of wine/beer/whiskey tonight and last night. Maybe I'm a bit unorthodox. But I found the selection of beverage beyond my narrow knowlege and amazing, the staff authentically friendly and if the morsel of cheese was anything to go by, the food promises to be unusual and enticing.

My insincere apologies to the East Kingdom of Dulwich Trolls. I hold that Toasted is, as my wife would say, bloomin' marvellous.

A few friends and I went on Tuesday eve early and it was getting busy at 6.30 so I'm glad we were there early - and good to see it so buzzy. We opted for the vat Rose, and like Maschler in her review tried all of the smaller dishes and sometimes twice. It was all superb and highly imaginative, and our waiter was engaging, friendly and very knowledgeable.

Our collective criticism if there has to be any is:

- Plate sizes a bit too big for tapas style dishes

- cost of very small dish, eg pea, egg, curd and toasted almonds @ ?6 we thought a little bit much. But it was delicious.

- we had to keep asking for more bread as the portions were so small

But that's it. I loved it and will continue to rave about it to others and I wish them all success...oh and the vat wine.....; )

I was also there on tuesday for the first time and thought it was excellent.

The selection of drinks is one of the best anywhere, great choice of beers and spirits as well as the wines.

The food was all delicious - i had the pea and egg dish and could have ordered it over asnd over again.

I will be going back frequently

I gather the chaps from Les Caves de Pyrenne are doing an 'Atlantic Spain' wine tasting thereon Tuesday, tickets still available, fifteen quid I believe, I reckon I might try and wangle a pass from La Piba for that one.

Breakfast today was good: avocado tasty for ?5. Bacon & egg nice, but overpriced at ?10 I think. Staff v friendly which is great. Coffee was good too & reasonably priced.

Room for improvement; It was really noisy even though not v busy, quite hard to talk/be heard at our table. Really weird, not sure why. Service pretty slow, getting menu, ordering & paying.

12.5% service charge on breakfast is a bit over the top (but friendly).

Loved the look of the Vats of wine & styling. Would def go back to try the evening meals.

Archived