Heber Arms

I moved to ED, Heber Road, in 2001 and the pub although closed was still the same as it looks in the photo from all_star above.

I think it was converted to flats shortly after that, maybe 2002. Great shame as it would be nice to have a pub on the same road as you live on. My then neighbour "Pete" said he used to run the pool team there before it shut, but he was a man of poor personal hygiene, so hope he was not typical of their clientele.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Let's just hope that other back street pubs like

> the CPT and The Castle also don't go the same way

> as The Heber. Support your local pub.

xxxx

I might support the CPT more if they brought back the Broadside ....

• 3 years later...

EDOldie Wrote:

> Trust Lush to remember the strippers. I think it

> was every Sunday.

Yes that's right.. I went there once on a Sunday (1982) with my then wife.. only to find there were strippers..

And if that was not Odd enough, the Garden was open and there were Kids going back and forth throughout the pub.

For Fox Sake

My Uncle & Aunt, Sonny & Nell Vincent lived next door to the Heber Arms, at No. 7,

from before WWII until they died, Sonny in 1972 and Nell in 1974.

My Father used to take our Family to visit his brother when we lived in Herne Hill,

and we walked through Townley Road to get the No. 37 bus home -

how I hated that walk in the dark.

This was my familys local growing up! I was often given 50p and a bottle of coke to go and play while dad had his pint! Always handy that i went to the primary school next door so dad never wasted beer time! Kill 2 birds with 1 stone! Pick me up and have a pint! Haha! The good old days!!!

MadWorld74 Wrote:

> I went to look at a flat there when we first moved

> into the area a few years back. It was one of the

> flats at the front and in the bedroom was the

> cellar door in the floor, leading down to where

> the beer was kept. The cellar door was in the

> wardrobe. It freaked me out a little. All old

> places especially pubs have their ghosts. I didn't

> fancy laying awake of a night hearing things

> moving about in the cellar! And it had alot of the

> old pub furniture still down there with God knows

> what else lurking in the cornor. Interesting. It

> was a bit of a turn off that the girl showing the

> property refused to take us down to the cellar.

> She insisted on waiting upstairs....

My friend bought that flat - we did venture down the basement (with a little Dutch courage) and it was very basement like. I agree - a bit creepy. But we faced our fears!

• 7 years later...