McDonalds in East Dulwich

It is not by far the unhealthiest food you could eat. Crisps, chocolate bars, pints of beer, Lucozade are all nice but not very nutritious. A 100% beef burger, salad and half pint of organic low-fat milk would trump a kebab and Pepsi or chip butty and lager, don't you think?

Rather a McD's than a SOT (some old tat) shop or another knick-knack emporium, or a betting shop or a bloody organic/local/fairtrade deli.

The campaign against McD's is as specious as that other old chestnut - the fight against phone masts. Most of those who don't want a mast rely on mobile phones, and teach their offspring to do likewise.

Similarly, people who hate McD's generally are not paragons of social, cultural and culinary virtue. They buy too much useless crap, eat and drink tat food, drive too much and spend lots of time in front of the telly or traipsing around shopping centres, but they like to think by ganging up against a big, bad company, somehow they are nice and kind and gentle, like a nun with an organic soup kitchen.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that we're better than McD's. We're not. We just like to think we are.

I would be firmly against a mcdonalds anywhere in East Dulwich. I think they are fine where they are. The food they serve has always been useless and it continuing to deteriorate in quality and is by far the most unhealthiest you could possibly eat. I think it would be a negative point for the area.

Would you argue the same point for all existing food outlets in ED that serve unhealthy food?

Edited for spelling name wrong because relish dripped on keyboard

McDonalds in the USA do not (or did not, prob still the case unless someone cares to disabuse me) allow their staff to join unions.

There is a lot of extremely interesting information in the book I mentioned, Nero is possibly confusing it with the 'Supersize Me' experiment. The book does not soley focused on Macd's either and encompasses a whole range of issues surrounding the fast food experience.

I wouldn't imagine they are the only corporation who do not allow their staff to join unions. In actual fact, I think they would find it hard to discourage any member of staff joining a union if there was one to join. Jimmy Hoffa faced the same problem with the teamsters in the 30s and 40s. The docks and teamsters were all run by the Mob and anyone who tried to form a union was severely punished. However, Hoffa was tough and determined and he stuck with it, and gradually he recruited enough members to form a fledgling union and it grew from there. Maybe there's a Jimmy McHoffa out there who can galvanize the staff to form a union?

My ar$e is big enough as it is...definately gets a no vote from me!

I used to LOVE MacD's, then I had a dodgy bigmac a few months back...mind you, I do like the kids meal with fish fingers!!>:D<

I can't say I'd be that bothered if a MacDo appeared on Lordship Lane. I recognise that it's not the best food in the world but I'd rather that than take a chance in some of ED's scruffier fast food emporiums. You never know, the warm glow of the Golden Arches may compliment the exterior of Foxtons...24hr news, 24hr cheese burgers.

Re the unions issue, it's not just Ronald and his cronies who are guilty.It would appear that Tesco employees in the USA are also forbidden to join up.

Walmart, parent company of ASDA are also notorious for their anti-union stance.

Tesco USA Unions article

How many people opposed to McDonalds on the basis of their workers rights record, shop in Tesco or ASDA, I wonder?

Kettle Chips in the UK since they were bought out by private equity also don't allow unions. I don't know for sure, but i would imagine mcdonalds do as they have investors in people accreditation and i would imagine a ban would be frowned upon (or maybe i'm naive).

Sean, didn't mean just to repeat your point earlier - only had a couple of minutes and hadn't read back up the post. My point wasn't though to shrug and do nothing - it was more that anyone telling jimmytwotimes to consider his responsibilities should make sure their own were duly considered first.

As for health, don't think there's a whole lot of nutrition in a happy meal, but so what? No one goes in there thinking they're getting a well balanced meal - still better with an egg mcmuffin than a starbucks muffin though.

Personally i don't want a mcdonalds because i'm selfish and i don't particularly like their food and i don't want lordship lane to get any busier than it already is.now If you said nando's on the other hand...

Horsebox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> How many people opposed to McDonalds on the basis

> of their workers rights record, shop in Tesco or

> ASDA, I wonder?

Not me for one, and I wouldn't go to Asda specifically because it's owned by Walmart. It may be futile but it is my choice.

And just to add, I am not telling anyone what they can or cannot do or even telling anyone to consider their responsibilitiesm, merely pointing out some information that I am aware of regarding Mcds. Personally I wouldn't like a Maccy Ds on LL as I used to live close to the one on Wally Rd and the smell was vile (IMO) and the litter was bad. I know they employ people to clear the litter but the radius of responsibility is fairly small.

Going back to the evil MacDonald's tempting our kids with toys and then selling them food that is bad for them... How are they really different from any other big business? Spending your whole life playing video games (much as I like them) is bad for a kid, and yet the games are designed to be addictive to kids. All the adverts on tv for toys and ringtones, and all that are aimed directly at kids. MacDonald's are not innocent of it, but they are by no means alone!

Chav I see your point, but again to aim it directly at MacDonald's is unfair. People in other countries suffer for food and drink we buy in supermarkets, clothes we wear, toys kids play with, and any number of things that are part of our everyday lives. It is crap, and we should be aware and try to make a difference and all that, but we can't lay the blame at the door of one big franchise.

Have to say, Maccy D's is THE WORST thing to have with a hangover!!!

• 9 months later...

Everyone munches on a cheeseburger from Maccas once in a while, I dont see the problem myself, but I would prefer something a little more sit down and eat with a knife and fork. I wouldnt say no to a decent carvery in the area but I can already see the look of horror on some peoples faces. F*** it, bring Maccas in and we can then silence the Waitrose and M&S speculation once and for all!

Louisa.

I have never had a cheeseburger from McD so your assertion is untrue, mainly because I've been a non-meat eater most of my life. I ate a couple of their filet o fish about 25 years ago but now I'm more well-informed and socially aware (obviously, read smug middle-class snob) I wouldn't eat anything from there.

I used to live very close to the McD on Walworth Rd and the smell of the frying fat and the litter dumped in the streets was vile.

snorky Wrote:

> We can condense this whole thread into 2 themes as per other food threads in ED & environs :

>

> McDonald high fat n salt / low priced food = bad

> EDD high fat n salt / high priced food= good

OK, now I *know* you're taking the piss.

Louisa Wrote:

> I wouldnt say no to a decent carvery

There are plenty of places to get a good sunday roast, e.g. The Palmerston...

Jeremy Wrote:

> snorky Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > We can condense this whole thread into 2 themes

> as per other food threads in ED & environs :

> >

> > McDonald high fat n salt / low priced food =

> bad

> > EDD high fat n salt / high priced food= good

>

> OK, now I *know* you're taking the piss.

>

>

Sadly I am not.

Whats the difference between 250G of oak smoked organic Chorizo , made by a gnarled barely literate artisan, from the EDD & half a pound of shrink wrapped Lidl Chorizo from peckham ?

Answer: About ?7.

Back in the olden days, when ED was being built, Ladies of a certain class were expected to be able to tell by sight & taste whether the knif used to cut the roast was of silver of steel - this is how one was able to distinguish onself from the scruffy masses that lived off the Walworth road.

How little has changed