Magdala changing ownership

kels

sidll Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i heard that the old man from franklins wants to reopen it as a retro spit and sawdust boozer

Well if Franklins are involved I'm sure it will be good - wouldn't want them to overstretch themselves though. As siddll implies, young Rodney's not getting any younger.

One thing that no-one has mentioned is that the Mag were cool about kids. My son's 15 and I've been taking him there for about 3 years to watch football matches. So long as the kids were quietish no-one ever minded. He knew John and the bar staff and I personally think taking kids into pubs like that demystifies the whole experience and will prevent them turning into raging binge drinkers. The CPT doesn't even allow kids outside on the terrace which is ridiculous. The Castle really is too much of a boozer and the Plough is sterile and lacks any atmosphere - and it keeps to old fashioned opening hours. Ye gods, where is a girl to get a drink at 1am in the morning without walking down Lordship Lane? And yes the Mag had its unsavoury moments but it's my local and I feel really sad that it's temporarily gone and just hope it doesn't change too much.

lizzie Wrote:

> One thing that no-one has mentioned is that the

> Mag were cool about kids. My son's 15 and I've

> been taking him there for about 3 years to watch

> football matches. So long as the kids were

> quietish no-one ever minded. He knew John and the

> bar staff and I personally think taking kids into

> pubs like that demystifies the whole experience

> and will prevent them turning into raging binge

> drinkers. The CPT doesn't even allow kids outside

> on the terrace which is ridiculous.

The CPT has just changed its policy, and the old sign (no dirty workclothes, no kids etc.) is gone. There's a new sign saying 'kids welcome' in big letters, and they've started doing barbecues on Saturday lunchtimes.

For anyone that needs their Quiz fix. The Magdala quiz is moving to The Herne Tavern starting from Sunday the 10th of August at 7:30.

Pietro Herrera is still hosting and running the show, there will still be the large card game similar to 'Play your cards right' and we hope to see the regulars there with some newcomers joining in.

I'll start a new thread to discuss the quiz itself.

Will (The Palmerston & The Herne)

Siduhe Wrote:

> They were painting the exterior when I drove past

> a few minutes ago. Goodbye bright yellow, hello a

> kind of mushroomy, truffle grey colour...very ED I

> suppose (or maybe it's an undercoat?)

Oh no! That's sounds like an All Bar One type colour scheme....yuk! Please God no. Not on Lordship Lane.

blinder999 Wrote:

> The CPT has just changed its policy, and the old

> sign (no dirty workclothes, no kids etc.) is gone.

> There's a new sign saying 'kids welcome' in big

> letters, and they've started doing barbecues on

> Saturday lunchtimes.

It's great that they have finally gotten rid of that sign and woken up. I just find it so annoying that for the last few years, some really lovely people (okay yes they are my friends) have worked there, and had to enforce this stupid nonsense even though they never wanted to. Then the owner turns to them and says she could make the place a better earner than they had, and finally spends a couple of pounds on the place, and takes away that sign, and does something like a BBQ. All stuff they'd been suggesting for ages!!! Grr.

Good luck to the new staff there who seem very nice, but I really just want to say that the previous staff did their best there with no support!

Aaaaanyway, with regards the Mag, it would be great if they started a bit of live music, although I suspect the neighbours would disagree!

Keef Wrote:

> Aaaaanyway, with regards the Mag, it would be

> great if they started a bit of live music,

> although I suspect the neighbours would disagree!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Goose is up for it :)

:)-D

colours on lordship lane pubs ......i use the term pub loosely

purple edt

black gloss black cherry

matt black bishop

tasteful green palmerston

funky concrete licorish

majolica tiles franklins

farrow and ballsy beige le chandelier

dark brown magdala

blueish/black plough

the yellow was maybe to jolly ? you should see the colour they're painting the new green and blue .......very tasteful

goodness what a horrible story!

soooooooo is anyone any closer to knowing who has taken the yellow away but will still be making pizzas?

as stated above it's not going to be a chain, location too far from LL drag and there are several local watering holes currently advertising for staff. someone must know.