What is East Dulwich Missing - Food Wise

I think we are missing a Waitrose, the ne plus ultra of British food retailing. It's what M and S used to stand for - quality, an absence of fuss, good value, and customer focus. I went into the branch in Tunbridge Wells and was so impressed with the calm, the clean lines, the lack of promotional thrusting and the space. M and S has gone after the bling factor and, as a result, looks dated and tacky.

As for restaurants, I agree with Sean. We don't do badly at all for places to eat in SE22 and around, both in terms of number of outlets and their quality, but at the same time, we don't actually do well. Franklins, G and B, Sea Cow and Lombok (SE24, I know) stand out for me, but the likes of GBK, Chopsticks, and Locale fall short of the mark.

Right now, I tend to go to places I like rather than experiment. I'm fed up of so-so service and over-priced ponciness. I'd love a Vietnamese restaurant and somewhere like the Italian restaurants you get around Great Portland Street - La Vigna, for example.

Ping-pong... no! A waiter once told me that everything is microwaved. I'll definitely never go back for the food, although I do like the bar.

I'm still waiting for a decent Italian. I feel let down by Locale, although I'm going to give it another try to account for bedding-in.

Agree totally with AcedOut on Ping Pong. Sorry mitchK, but whatever PP is,a good Chinese it ain't

And having retured to Wagammamas this week after vowing never to go again... I was right the first time. How they can charge 8-9 quid for 4 slivers of chicken and a pile of tomato based flvourless slop I have no idea.

To compare - there is a wee Noodle bar just of Blackfriars called Chi - the salt and pepper chicken/pork dish alone makes it worth a trip (caveat: being in the City it's not open at weekends however)

if we get a steak house could we have a time machine as well to take us back to the 70s? Oh hang on, we wouldn't need one. Best way to do steak is to go to William Rose, select a toothsome cut and cook it yourself. Or, as has been pointed out, Palmerston or Franklins...can never understand though why people pay so much for something so easy to cook.

A middle eastern restaurant would definitely get my vote. Or sushi. Or south Indian.

Oh yes, and replace Somerfield with Waitrose ??Nero bang on re M&S.

Well it looks like Sushi is popular, steak taking a hammering today however the underlying issue seems to be service, which I too vouch for being in the area for 3 years now, is pretty rubbish across the board.

East Dulwich ready for members club?

Creperie is a good idea... do any of the current crop of cafes do pancakes?

Wagamama is pretty bad - seriously, Ramen is not supposed to taste of dishwater! A decent Japanese / noodle place would be good though. I'd be perfectly happy if somewhere like Edo (Crystal Palace) opened in ED, although their sushi is overpriced.

I've never tried ping pong, but I've never been tempted because the dim-sum selection never looks as good as a proper Chinese place. And having a Chinese girlfriend, I am usually forbidden from entering any establishment which could be described as "trendy asian"!

I'd also like somewhere which did authentic Indian sweets, but that won't happen.

Actually, I'm not all that fussed about what type of food is served up in a restaurant. What matters to me is nice people serving me - not servile - good decor, good layout, pleasant clientelle and good company. Bit of space between tables doesn't go amiss. Like all the impressive name-dropping going on (look where I've been) so I'll join in and say that a place like Chartiers, Paris would be ideal.

NatashaD Wrote:

The portions are large and I

> have a huge appetite.

But size isn't everything Natasha...

I was once brought a single silver spoon of mashed potato at a certain famous restaurant (I shan't name drop) which I tasted from the waiter's outstretched hand.... a surreal but thoroughly satisfying experience. Us Catholic girls must find our sensual experiences somewhere Natasha...

And to stay on topic - if we must have a chain, how about canteen - as in Spitalfields and the South Bank. Though chains always depress me.

Sushi would appear to be a clear winner. I'm not sure why. Perhaps there's not enough mercury in the drinking water.

(I'm willing to bet the PhatDhuc is where BellendenBelle had her spoon of mash experience, btw. Unless it was in El Bulli, in which case she can PRO (Phuc Right Off)

I think what ED lacks is a good 'special occasion' restaurant. Any nationality will do, but upmarket, quality cooking with matching service all of which you pay a necessary premium. Something that Le Chardon should be, but doesn't deliver.