Extortionate rents

joepud

Is anyone else finding that rents in East Dulwich are getting ridiculous?

Since when did people start charging ?1600+bills for a 2 bed with no garden, yes it might be recently referbished but most rental properties in London are refurbished nowadays and I wouldn't call neutral decor and some decent tiles in a kitchen a particularly high spec refurb. I earn a very decent wage but am loathe to pay nearly ?2k for a normal flat which a year and a half ago only cost ?1300 max to rent. No wonder no one can get on the property ladder, because we can't keep any money to save.

Anyone agree or disagree?

I am sure that it is a very expensive area to rent now and I do feel sorry for anyone needing rented accommodation here. What I do notice is that nearly every newly built or refurbed flat of house soon has a 'To Let' sign outside. It seems that as soon as property becomes available along comes the 'Buy To Let' brigade ready to make a fast buck leaving first time buyers will little chance to get a place.

I think that this is the case throughout most of the country and this government is unlikely to really do much to change the situation.

Good luck joepud - welcome to 'New' East Dulwich.

But do you remember what it was like? My partner lived here in the 90s and you can't really compare it. Whether you preferred it before or now is a different question but the place has changed as have the rents.

There are still cheaper places in London to live.

i*rate you're so right. We are trying to move house to get something a little bigger but can afford practically nothing in ED/Peckham/Nunhead/Camberwell. A run-down house that needs everything doing to it came on the market on saturday at the top of our budget. I rang up yesterday (i.e. 2 days later) and was told that there had already been 40 viewings, 12 offers and the highest offer, so far, was over ?50,000 above asking price. They were still accepting viewings and offers! Rental and sales in property in London have gone nuts recently. Grrr...

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But do you remember what it was like? My partner

> lived here in the 90s and you can't really compare

> it. Whether you preferred it before or now is a

> different question but the place has changed as

> have the rents.

>

> There are still cheaper places in London to live.

It was - a different place. If anyone had mentioned gentrification we would have laughed like drains! I quite liked it though.

I have to agree re affordability - you move where you can afford. The ideal would be that all areas in London had affordable housing/rents but there is a fat chance of that sadly.

joepud Wrote:

> Is anyone else finding that rents in East Dulwich

> are getting ridiculous?

>

> Since when did people start charging ?1600+bills

> for a 2 bed with no garden, yes it might be

> recently referbished but most rental properties in

> London are refurbished nowadays and I wouldn't

> call neutral decor and some decent tiles in a

> kitchen a particularly high spec refurb. I earn a

> very decent wage but am loathe to pay nearly ?2k

> for a normal flat which a year and a half ago only

> cost ?1300 max to rent. No wonder no one can get

> on the property ladder, because we can't keep any

> money to save.

>

> Anyone agree or disagree?

there are plenty of decent 2 bed flats in se22 for under ?1400.

me thinks you exaggerate a bit to make a point

I just passed Haarts window, and there was a spacious-looking 2-bed, modern, nice kitchen, in SE22 for ?1,100/month. I think there will always be a few expensive exceptions, if the landlord can get away with it, but there are cheaper options available in SE22 by the look of it.

We moved here to pay less rent and have more room compared to a flat in Limehouse. What I can't work out is how the rent is cheaper but the house up the road is going for 30% more than the place we moved out of went for (we only moved because it was sold by the landlord). Am I missing something?

StraferJack Wrote:

> Willing to bet anyone going to that 1100 flat will

> find out a few significant problems

>

> But hey it's only 1100 English pounds. Every

> month

>

> Nothing to worry about

We rent out our 2nd property, a 2 bedroom garden flat on a nice quiet handsome road in SE23, very nicely done up, and with tip top fixture and fittings, for a grand a month. Not all of us are greedy b4stards.

edd Wrote:

> Yeah, but SE23 isn't East Dulwich, is it? It's all

> about the postcode for some people.

I don't see why. Well, technically I do, but it is actually rubbish. And to be honest, we're thinking of moving back to CP. It's got a more... friendly feel to it, in my opinion. We've not massively enjoyed living in ED these past 5 years, it can be very staid, and we miss a lot about CP.

a fish Wrote:

> edd Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yeah, but SE23 isn't East Dulwich, is it? It's

> all

> > about the postcode for some people.

>

> I don't see why. Well, technically I do, but it is

> actually rubbish. And to be honest, we're thinking

> of moving back to CP. It's got a more... friendly

> feel to it, in my opinion. We've not massively

> enjoyed living in ED these past 5 years, it can be

> very staid, and we miss a lot about CP.

Well spent five years then, still it,s only FIVE FOOKING YEARS OF YOUR LIFE so nothing lost, good work

???? Wrote:

> Well spent five years then, still it,s only FIVE

> FOOKING YEARS OF YOUR LIFE so nothing lost, good

> work

At least we gave it a try. Plus, I have a feeling we'd be back to Moxons most weekends, CP doesn't seem to have a fishmonger.

Rents/ house prices are high when an area is desirable and when there are insufficient properties there to meet demand. If you want there to be more properties in ED to rent or buy (and hence reduce the 'premium' on local property which is now in short supply), then you need to get local politicians to re-think their local zoning plans to allow more properties to be built and higher density living. If people, for instance, who then want to keep cars close to their properties find that is no longer possible in ED then that in itself will reduce a certain sort of demand for accommodation and reduce the pricing opportubities for landlords and sellers (by making ED less desirable).

Of course, ED may well become less desirable as LL becomes blighted with closing shops and higher shop rents, so maybe that will reduce the pressures for people to live here.

The irony is that all the things that make ED a good place to live-in (desirable) are making it more desired, which is pricing out (some) of those people who do want to live here. Make it less desirable (e.g. by increasing housing density to meet housing demands) and then fewer people will desire it. At a certain cross-over point that makes building more accommodation no longer economically attractive (as returns fall).